You can type here any text you want

Sounds like a valve ticking, much loader then before

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qws2000

Well I started the car this morning and right away I heard a ticking from the left side... I looked at oil gauge and idling is 30psi and more while driving it is 40psi and higher... I checked the oil clean and perfect on the stick.. What should I be checking to hunt this problem down....

I would check for a exhaust leak and If that didn't pan out grab an automotive stethoscope and start trying to identify where the noise is originating from.

Left side? Every thing I have read on these says the manifold cracks between the 3 and 5 tubes.

We had a customers car come in last spring with what sounded like a lifter tick. Ended up is was a broken spring on the roller cam button.

Absolutely check for an exhaust leak whether its a crack or a leaking gasket first. Exhaust leaks sound ALOT like lifter noise.

Al, put some toilet paper on the end of a stick and poke it around the exhaust ports and crossover connection. If you find a leak, it will start dancing like crazy. If that doesn't show anything, pop the drivers side valve cover off and fire up the engine. If the noise is upper valvetrain, it should show itself pretty well.

Many ways to find exhaust leaks, but my favorite is the 3 ft of 5/8" heater hose. Put it to your ear and move the other end around the pipes, and you will zero in on the exact spot where the leak is.

Thanks for all the help from everyone, I think it is a exhaust leak, but I took a small video.... A big thanks to Earl.........

Many ways to find exhaust leaks, but my favorite is the 3 ft of 5/8" heater hose. Put it to your ear and move the other end around the pipes, and you will zero in on the exact spot where the leak is.
I have done this MANY times. Old skool trick my Dad taught me as a teenager, and it works great.

I've had zero luck finding leaks with that method. Which is odd because I'm usually pretty good with the hoes. :D

Love learning these lil' tricks from u guys! Wish I would've know that when I had my exhaust leak. Would've saved my hand Burning! Lol!

Back