Speed Density opinions?

I'm taking a serious look at using a TurboTweak SD chip, Powerlogger, and wideband 02 to tune my Buick, but I'd like some real-world feedback by people who have used it. I hear complaints that its too complicated to use, the tune is lost when the battery or ECM is unplugged, and the chance of having any reliable drivability and fuel mileage with a SD setup is next to nothing.

I have some tuning knowledge and patience, as well as friends who are willing to assist. But I don't want to end up buying $400 worth of electronic gizmos to tune my car and then have it be next to impossible to keep running well.

This is by no means a daily driver either, it would see 8-10 trips to drag strip per year, and maybe 2500 miles of weekend cruising or day trips within a 150 mi radius.

I guess I'm drawn to it for the adjustability and it seems silly to use a MAF system on a car with no EGR or emissions items in place. Its my understanding that a speed density setup allows for a more accurate A/F ratio and seems to be easier to make small adjustments.

Thoughts?

i am on a similar boat except for the "tuning knowledge" part
i am currently using a borrowed MAF which i will eventually have to give back. And because of that i have been reading about the SD chip.
2-I only go to the track twice a year so i'll have plenty of time to make adjustments and play with things.
3-already have the PowerLogger installed in/on the car.
4-WB is "coming soon"

What else besides the Chip and know how is needed?

Does the chip come with base/default settings? drop the chip in START the car then tune?

i am on a similar boat except for the "tuning knowledge" part
i am currently using a borrowed MAF which i will eventually have to give back. And because of that i have been reading about the SD chip.
2-I only go to the track twice a year so i'll have plenty of time to make adjustments and play with things.
3-already have the PowerLogger installed in/on the car.
4-WB is "coming soon"

What else besides the Chip and know how is needed?

Does the chip come with base/default settings? drop the chip in START the car then tune?

I got mine, installed it and gave the car maybe 20% throttle to get it started. Backed it out the garage and around the block I went. I had some adjustments to make to remove tip in stumbles and adjusted start up fuel for my combo. The chip instruction tell you to move the IAT to the up pipe before the alky nozzles. I wasn't surprised at how well it ran out of the box since I had heard good things about it before.

I really think you should stick with a 6.1/6.0 chip until you really get the hang of tuning the car. Watch the wideband and record the A/F ratios at idle, passing, and cruise. This way, you will have a guide to refer to when/if you ditch the MAF. You should score a used stock MAF until you get the hang of tuning it. The goal is to go faster and still have greater driveability than you did with the MAF and non-SD chips.

Awesome Chuck! What were your AFR's while cruising?

They hang in the high 14's on the flat, but it is constantly jumping around some, which I think is normal. I didn't touch the parameter's since running my 11.17 @ 127.7 in my signature.

Chuck