You can type here any text you want

Splicing connector for fuel pump...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wahoo

I installed a DW300 pump in a brand new spectra fuel sending unit. The plug for the Dw300 pump was not the same as factory but the pump came with the proper one.

So i spliced it in with butt connectors.

My main question is, is this safe? I crimped them on with a crimping tool, i feel it should last. But they were regular butt connectors not heat shrink ones. So technically fuel will be in contact with it.

Now the old factory fuel pump the wire connectors werent insulated, and were exposed to the gasoline anyways. And all the fuel pump plugs dont have gaskets and are not water/gas proof either way.

So is there need for concern?

Im going to be running e85 but i dont think that should matter?

The concern I have is the butt connectors. Some connectors will not make tight contact w/ all the strands of wire.
Gas in contact w/ the connectors is not an issue.

Soldered wire connections and a good quality shrink tubing is vastly more reliable than a hand crimped connection.

I would avoid soldering wires. A proper crimp is the best way to do it. Solder will cause a stress point where the solder ends, and pump vibration might be a problem.

Double-D crimps, and no butt splices are the best and safest way to go.

Weird, I just did the same thing last week. I have a DW300 pump and I installed it into a new Spectra sending unit also. I just crimped the lines and used the old plug.

The crimps actually helped it seat snug in the plug. Had a hard time shoehorning the sock into that sending unit also.

Are you cutting the return line on the new sending unit?

Weird, I just did the same thing last week. I have a DW300 pump and I installed it into a new Spectra sending unit also. I just crimped the lines and used the old plug.

The crimps actually helped it seat snug in the plug. Had a hard time shoehorning the sock into that sending unit also.

Are you cutting the return line on the new sending unit?
No cutting of the return line on the sender are you talking?

I had to cut the nubs off the bottom of the pump with side cutters in order to get the pump to sit low enough in the sender to put the filter on the bottom.

I cut the return line at the raised section on the sending unit, because I had trouble lowering the fuel pressure with that pump.

Back