Spring choices????

6APPEAL

Before I put my 87 back on the ground I have a choice of springs to make. I have a new set of stock springs and a new set of Hotckins springs. The car will see much more track time than street time due to my 86 GN being hit by an 18 wheeler. I am reluctant to put my car back on the street. I like the look of the cars I've seen with a 1"-1.5" spring drop, which is what the Hotckins springs will give me. But, I want to be able to really be able to launch the car at the strip. How much weight transfer will I lose with the lowering springs? TIA

For strip running, the stock springs will be better than the Hotchkiss ones

But the lowering springs make them look better. Hmmm, looks or better traction? :D :cool:

If you're just going for that amount of drop, you might consider these lowering spindles. Simple install, and you'll be able to use whatever stock height spring you'd like.

If 2" isn't too much....

...that would definitely be the be the best way, and some drag springs would be even better with the spindles for track use. :cool:

Originally posted by 6APPEAL
Interesting! I never thought about drag springs with drop spindles. Thanks.
Just be careful with your overall height, if you go that route. If you were to go with BOTH options, it might drop as much as 4 to 5 inches.

...and be SURE to get a professional alignment done after the install.

Good luck.

Drag springs shouldn't really drop it but....

...I could be wrong about that. Probably depends on the manufacturer, and the particular part number. Ditto on the alignment recommendation, no matter what you decide to use. :cool:

what would be good to use out back if spindles are used to drop the front.....strip traction wise that is....

Got the Hotchkis TVS and it sits much lower now. The stance is amazing now. It rides stiffer though.

Nick

Since we mention drag spring let me give you some of my experiences with these. If your car is is stock , full weight in the front the Moroso drag springs will lower it....alot, like 2- 3 inches easy all by themselves. Now this can vary from car to car and spring set to set. Allegedly Moroso does not put very good quality control into these.

Ive done several sets to include install and remove them from my during several stages of its life.

Ande before anyone says use the heavier springs...this is with the heavy springs.;)

Spindles with stock springs should give you a happy medium.

That's good to know Louie

Nice to hear from folks that have been there and done that. So would you say the Drag springs might possibly be a better option for 6APPEAL? :cool:

We have also found that the drag springs from Moroso have a quality issue. The right spring in our race car sagged so badly after a couple of hard launches the tire started to rub on the fender when turning. Same goes for the rear springs, poor quality. I have had good luck with the Eibach springs, they lower the car 1 to 1 1/2 inches front and rear and due to the progressive rate they still retain a pretty good ride. Didn't seem to hurt the sixty foot times at all, maybe even a small improvement. :cool:

Re: That's good to know Louie

Originally posted by Rickracer
Nice to hear from folks that have been there and done that. So would you say the Drag springs might possibly be a better option for 6APPEAL? :cool:

Sure ,
If he doesnt mind the funny feeling you have in the front end with drag springs. I dont even know they are there anymore.

Buzzard,
I thought that i was maybe going crazy about my cars stance. The front end of my car is lower on one side more than the other with no apparent reason. I suspected the spring but didnt give it much thought.

I have contemplated going back to plain old stockers but im afraid to mess with the combination.

A little off the subject, but have you seen test results of....

....shotpeening and/or cryo treatment of springs? Everything I've seen says either or possibly both would be beneficial to the springs when new. A lot of my marine customers are cryo treating and coating their pistons and getting much better life out of them. I've also read several tech articles that show that shotpeening can nearly double the number of cycles a spring can absorb before the strength starts going away. At least one was about valve springs, but one was about suspension springs. :cool:

Drag Springs

Louie:

There is no doubt that the drag springs work, they just seem to go away too soon, we went back to the stock front and moog cargo coils in the rear with no ill effects. Dic Kerney went 9.80 with the same set up, he took off the coil overs so he can run TSM this year at Bowling Green. Maybe its all that torque from that Cal Hartline short block thats twisting your car so it sits lower on one side. :p Anyway my point is there are many choices for springs out there and you just have to find what works for you and stick to it.