Spun Bearing

david wilson

So, Happy birthday to me!!! I spun a bearing on my birthday.....

Since I need a rebuild, I was wondering how you guys would do it and what parts you would use? Also, any estimates on cost?

I already have the following on the car: bigger turbo (44 i think), bigger intercooler (don't remember which one), 42 pound injectors, Champion heads, fuel pump, and exhaust with test pipe.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

So, Happy birthday to me!!! I spun a bearing on my birthday.....

Since I need a rebuild, I was wondering how you guys would do it and what parts you would use? Also, any estimates on cost?

I already have the following on the car: bigger turbo (44 i think), bigger intercooler (don't remember which one), 42 pound injectors, Champion heads, fuel pump, and exhaust with test pipe.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Before anyone can give targeted advice we will need to know; What is your et/hp goal?

Make sure you have the rod magnafluxed to check it for heat cracks before resizing it.

Well, I live in Denver, so I am competing with the mile high altitude. I want a driver that is reliable. I would guess a 12 sec. car would be reasonable with all of the power adders I have to go on it. Not sure of the hp, any guesses??

Well, I live in Denver, so I am competing with the mile high altitude. I want a driver that is reliable. I would guess a 12 sec. car would be reasonable with all of the power adders I have to go on it. Not sure of the hp, any guesses??

You already have a reliable car 12 sec car, if you stay out of detonation with the heads/turbo/IC you have now.
Typically, when someone says "12 sec car", it means 12.99.
If you had a good stock rebuild, good tires, good tune / gas, you will run deep in the 12's.

Cost of a stock rebuild with a spun bearing? A lot depends on the damage that is done.
My guess is to plan for $2.5 - 3K without the roller cam. :eek:

my spun rod bearing rebuild is coming in right around $4K. but that includes a new std turbo crank, rods, roller cam, total seal rings, cometics, ARP bolts/studs, head work, bearing and piston coating, and assembly.

you could get away with less if you use a flat tappet cam. also depends on the spun damage, is it a rod or main bearing? if the crank can be cut and rods salvaged you can save some money there. but machine work is expensive.

if you're going to rebuild, set your goals, spend the money and do it once. i way over shot my budget but the motor is going to be done right and able to take the abuse i'm going to give it.