Squeaky Roll bar?

NyBlankets

Is it normal for a roll bar to squeak? Its a 6 point with swing outs. The swing out bars aren't in the car but, it squeaks whether they are in or out. Want to know if this is normal or need to take it to a chassis shop to have it checked.

Is it normal for a roll bar to squeak? Its a 6 point with swing outs. The swing out bars aren't in the car but, it squeaks whether they are in or out. Want to know if this is normal or need to take it to a chassis shop to have it checked.

Mine squeak as well. I have been thinking about filling it with expanding foam to try and dampen the vibration/squeaks/rattles.

Has anybody out there had any luck quieting a roll cage?

You'll never get it to stop unless you attach the body to the cage, and possibly not then. The frame moves and the body moves since it's on bushings. They don't move together.

Thanks Charlie, then the roll bar is rubbing somewhere on the body. As long as its not a roll bar issue I'd be ok with it, annoyed but, I can live with it. Brian if you do the expanding foam trick let me know how it works out.

Are you using rubber or poly body bushings? That might make the difference with the squeek. If they're poly you might be able to take the bolts loose and use some grease to quiet them down.

I've owned the car since 92 and never changed them. I had planned to do poly mounts along with all the suspension bushings, car has 47k original miles, they aren't worn just fatigued I guess.

That would do it then. Get the new bushings and make sure they're tight and greased. I think you'll find it much quieter.;)

Thanks Charlie, I believe your right and figured the same. Just needed .02 from more knowledgeable people.

I've delt with a ton of squeeks on cars over the years with customers. The biggest issue I've ever had were with glass asses that feel "some sort of vibration" in the car.o_O Trying to convince them that it needs new bushings or something else can be a pain but once the work's done they go away happy.;)

Mine has all new bushings, except for the gnx set, and I get more of a clunk than a sqeak. Like a loose rear shock.

brian b said:
Mine squeak as well. I have been thinking about filling it with expanding foam to try and dampen the vibration/squeaks/rattles.

Has anybody out there had any luck quieting a roll cage?

You can increase the clearance between the sheet metal floor and bar and seal with silicone calk.
AG

You can increase the clearance between the sheet metal floor and bar and seal with silicone calk.
AG

This happened on a couple bars we installed too, not sufficient clearance with the body sheet metal.

On later installs we gave more clearance and used silicone like stated. :)

put solid body mounts in it.. the body will no longer move relative to the cage, and the car will be stiffer overall.

The solid mounts make the most sense to me, tough to do after the cage is welded in !
Other than that, tie the body to the cage in more points, with 6" plates and 1.25" tube braces to spread the load, take the bushing out of the loop.