You can type here any text you want

Stage 2 oiling questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

m6z

I am in the process of collecting parts for my stage 2 single turbo build. Could someone explain what all is involved in converting to a wet sump system on a stage 2 iron block? This will be a on center stage 2 head motor.

Are the oiling systems the same for the ta aluminum block?

What front cover do you use? is it the dry sump style or can a production cover be used?

thanks,
doug

The easiest way is to use a Duttweiler or White Racing oil pump setup on a stock front cover, and an oil pan with an external pickup (either stock modified or Billet Fabrications.) Not hard to do, just costs several hundred dollars with the pumps, braided steel lines and fittings, and a pan.

Mac in SD said:
The easiest way is to use a Duttweiler or White Racing oil pump setup on a stock front cover, and an oil pan with an external pickup (either stock modified or Billet Fabrications.) Not hard to do, just costs several hundred dollars with the pumps, braided steel lines and fittings, and a pan.

Would someone be willing to post some pictures for those of us who haven't seen one of these?

Thanks ,
Marty

here are 2

Attachments

• DSC00152.JPG
    DSC00152.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC00144.JPG
    DSC00144.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 291
KLHAMMETT said:
here are 2

KLHAMMETT,
That's a beautiful engine.I'm assuming line on left is the pick up, large line to right is feed line, what is the third line for ? Is this made by Duttweiler?

Thanks for the pics,
Marty

jjvites said:
KLHAMMETT,
That's a beautiful engine.I'm assuming line on left is the pick up, large line to right is feed line, what is the third line for ? Is this made by Duttweiler?

Thanks for the pics,
Marty

The largest line (at the rear of the pump) is the pickup. The small one on the front is the bypass. The one in the center (not yet hooked up) is the supply port to the engine.

TurboDave said:
The largest line (at the rear of the pump) is the pickup. The small one on the front is the bypass. The one in the center (not yet hooked up) is the supply port to the engine.

From the photos I can't tell where the feedline/bypass are plumbed into the cover. I would have thought that a bypass would put oil back in the pan rather then running over possibly moving parts. Please tell me.

Marty

mine is run below the balancer and into the block off plate on the front cover,also that makes sure the timing components are always oiled wellThat is the Duttwieler pump setup.largest is pickup#12,next largest is feed to oil filter#10,and last is bypass#8

m6z said:
I am in the process of collecting parts for my stage 2 single turbo build. Could someone explain what all is involved in converting to a wet sump system on a stage 2 iron block? This will be a on center stage 2 head motor.

Are the oiling systems the same for the ta aluminum block?

What front cover do you use? is it the dry sump style or can a production cover be used?

thanks,
doug

Options not yet mentioned...

Grafting on a GeoRotor oil pump onto the stock front cover.
Modifying the stock oiling system for external pickup.

As far as ease goes, nothing would be easier IMHO than to add the external pickup to the stock oil pump. People complain about the stock oiling system but it works for 95% of the turbo cars out there today. That includes several low 10 - mid 9 sec cars. I don't think anyones ever done it as far as I know though.

What is the Duttweiler system? Is it a georotor design? It still runs off the timing chain right?

Roger

on my car to a remote oil filter then to the fitting on thee front of the block below the intake

Back