You can type here any text you want

StageII plug wires

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbodave231

spark plug wires for ATR S2 heads and single turbo

Ok, the engine is in the chassis and I landed on the Autolite AR 472 plugs, now I need to figure out which plug wires to get.

I was looking at a universal 8.5 mm kit from MSD. The plug boots are straight but can be angled. Anybody have any experience with these wires?

The passenger side ATR header is a real PITA! No clearance for bolts, studs or nuts. And no clearance for plug wires either. Oh well.... feels good to vent!

There are some new pictures in the album link below.

Well, here's what I did... Accel Extreme 9000 wires for a SBC, 90 degree plug boots, HEI coil boots. Ya' got 8 lengths with which to make 6 fit. :D I routed the DS wires under the headers from the rear. On the PS, I routed #2 and #4 to the front of the engine, and down to the plugs between the turbo and the header. #6 wire went behind the engine and up to the plug from underneath. I probably could have run all the PS wires underneath, but with the starter and crossover pipe, etc. there, I figured I'd keep them away from as much heat as possible. I used zip ties to organized the wires NASCAR-style, and learned the hard way to tie the #2 & 4 wires to the fuel rail or other to keep them from working their way down onto the header or support bracket.
Ain't that DS header just grand to plug access and header bolts? :D That's why my bolts are safety-wired (thanks Neal!)

I went with the MSD wires per a recomedation from Lance.

He said that using a number of different brand wires the MSD worked the best on the dyno pulls they made.

The MSD wires have the least resistance per foot that I have found.

Good Luck

Mac,

The driver's side would really work the best with straight boots. The pass side needs 30-40 degrees to work to get good clearance. I think I'm going to buy the MSD's and invest in the heat shielding too.

The suggestion about the safety wire sounds like a great idea. I'm going to Harbor Freight today to find a drill jig and pliers. I am using stainless fasteners.....they ought to be fun to drill!!

Dave

Moroso Ultra 40's are pretty nice. I got a universal 8cyl set with the HEI ends and ran mine with the Ultra 40 sleeve and heat shrink ends. Look into them, they're pretty nice.

Used MSD 8.8 and 90 degree ends on all plug ends. I currently buy the wire by the spool and make my own, but the chevy v-8 kit works just as well for one time use, plus a couple spares. Also used the thermotec braided sleeving in the warm areas. I run all wires from the back under the headers. Nascar zip tie style and I also loop an extra one over the petcocks in the side of the block to keep the wires away from the headers. Street driven Stage II headed with the ATR headers and no problems with burned wires yet.
Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas

I got the MSD 8.8's with multiangle plug boots. I also got the MSD pro heat guard for the pass side wires. They fit nice. shouldn't be a problem.

DR

I am wondering about what you guys put on the plug wires to keep the headers from burning them up, I have the boot ends melting on the headers, and I'm not sure if wrapping the boots with aluminum foil is the answer, and yes, I have the flex end boots on but it still is too close to keep from burning them up. Thanks guys, Mav.

I think I did it

I went to "Ramchargers" (a kind of performance shop) and for $40.00 got a set of 4 fire proof mesh boot covers, supposedly with these on, the plugs can rest right on the headers and not get burned, I guess we'll see, I too went with MSD 8.5mm wires.

Back