You can type here any text you want

Stall converter size?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikemcvaney

Whats the least amount of stall I can use dont want a 2800 stall my car is daily driven. Mike

Things get weird here with using a carbturbo and a stall comverter, I've used two different NEW converters a Transmission specialties 2000 stall and a Hughes HD 2500 stall,
And NONE stalled anywhere close to what they are rated.

Things get weird here with using a carbturbo and a stall comverter, I've used two different NEW converters a Transmission specialties 2000 stall and a Hughes HD 2500 stall,
And NONE stalled anywhere close to what they are rated.

What did each one actually stall at and did you specify them for a V-6 application

A 2800 stall is a good street TC, I had a stock D5 that stalled at 2400 in the 83 and the turbo spooled quick. I thought it needed a little more.
Oh, I had a 2800 stall in the 86 and it really woke up the car.

They were for a v6 application. the TS converter stalled at 850-900rpm's and the Hughes stalled at 1000rpm's, but I never told them I had a stock camshaft.

i have a B&M converter and i think it work good. It could be because i have a 200r4 trans.

Yes definitely NOT, B&M or TCI. FOR High Performance..... for the Money spent Vigilante, Edge, PTC have the best.
I like my Hughes Converter, I just didn't specify the right CAMSHAFT I had when I ordered it. Otherwise I would have been sent a totally different converter.

Gotta agree with Adam on this for sure. The hot ticket currently is Pats, Vigilate, or PTC

There is a whole science behind this. When running a LOCK UP torque convertor and will NOT be locking it a WOT then you need to get the tightest convertor you can to meet your needs.

Alot of hype into smaller convertors to gain less rotating weight,this is tru that the loss is a gain.

If it is a lock up convertor and its smaller in size (say 10"for example) the area inside the torque convertor has to have a set amount of space for the lock clutch and components.
With that said, the remaining room for the turbine and stator is less fin surface area to grab the fluid hyrdaulically to try and couple than when compared to the stock 12" style d5.

So just buying say a 2800 or 3k stall 10" L/U convertor to help with launches, or spool the turbo is going to show its ugly face in 2nd and third gear if its not set up properly and ineffiecient...what do I mean?

The above brief jist on the smaller sized convertor losing fin area to cut into the fluid shows up as slippage when the gear multiplication goes down as you shift from first, to second.......less help from gears and then finally......3 rd which is one to one ratio.

By the time you are in 3rd the car is laying on the slop in the convertor and slipping if you will.

Im not a fan of forcing L/U at WOT as its hard on the trans parts and torque convertor clutch.

There is L/U convertors (presicion industries vigilante) with multi disks that are designed o handle the abuse. But they require and pump mod, have a tendency to rattle at idle and may stall the engine when put in to gear when cold.

Other option is to go non L/U and give up 250- 300 rpms vs the lock up.
Con with the non L/U is more heat is produced and the gas mileage will drop a bit.

If your are going to stick with the 12" D5 thats restalled then 2800 is it for stall over that and its just a turd and will lay over since the fin angles inside the convertor are tweaked to get more stall and the downside is slippage in higher gears when unlocked at WOT as mentioned

PTC, Pro Torque, Pats are all good convertors just get it tight/just enough to get by if going with L/U.
Call around and ask them about unlocked efficiency.

Went a bit overboard on explaining but have but I have made the mistake and bought the higher stall for what I thought was helping and the car lost 7 mph and 5 tenths in the 1/4 with a sloppy convertor. It would spool the turbo like a beast just sucked in its coupling ability.

LOL Look at that. One of the SFI guys actually came down here to the dungon.:eek::biggrin:

Thanks for the info. Probibly a little more than he was expecting but it's good info.:smile:

What stall ect do you have now Matt? The ones mentioned by nasty will custom make a convertor for your car and don't cost that much more than one of the mass produced ones.

I got some 100 dollar over the counter 3000 stall unit and i tell you what, sun-of-a-gun works nice.

sometimes your lucky..... sometimes your not!

LMAO

:rolleyes:A.j.

Word up on that A.j. lol that sounds like the TS converter I bought, It stalled correctly behind my Buick 350 but not the V6, So it was worth something to me after all lol.

Word up on that A.j. lol that sounds like the TS converter I bought, It stalled correctly behind my Buick 350 but not the V6, So it was worth something to me after all lol.

lmao.... well it was one of those kinda deals ya know... kinda like the ebay headers I got.... it was worth a shot for 100 bucks I guess....

but your right.... it really only stalled about 2700 behind the V6... but hell that was plenty good enough! any higher stall and the boost come in a little tooo quickly!

:biggrin:A.j.

Back