You can type here any text you want

Standing mile race

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BarnesGN

The East Coast Timing Association is having the Maxton race this weekend (sept 22-23). It is a mile long, solo vehicle event. Thought I'd put it out for anybody wanting to go.

I will be attending but not participating.

Hey Sam, Haven't seen you on here in a while. I hope everything's going good with ya. I won't be going to Maxton but I bet it would be something to see. Take a few pics and post if you can.

9-22-07maxtonrace021.JPG

Let's see if this works.

Sam, myself and the wife made it to all of the ECTA events this year except for the last one. We always have a blast. Its only about 25 miles from my house.

Alonzo

Other than being hot as blue blazes, we had a good time.
One of my dads friends is a member of the 200+ crowd.

hey man whats up i have been away from the computor for a while, how is everyone. what is that a timed race uphill run or somthing?

So, who owns the Cutlass? What engine is under the hood?
Conrad

The track is a converted runway at almost 2 miles in length, first mile is timed second is for slowing down. It is a little bit uphill from the starting point to the timing area, but only slightly.

Conrad I never caught that (oldsmobile) guys name. The engine was a carb-572 crate motor. He was checking his plugs when I took the pictures and the only thing he wanted to talk about was his burnt fingers. I've got some more shots if you want me to email them.

I couldn't get there until mid-day Sun--but enjoyed what I saw. Some of the more interesting rides (to me) are attached.

The coot with the "junkyard mustang" was quite a character & I personally would have been afraid to to 70 mph on interstate in it...

The totally modified Model A rdstr 4-banger was awesome!

You should have seen the dust cloud & dents/ dirt on crazy Mike Welsh's car after he lost traction/ control at around the 1/8 mile well in xs of 100 mph. He "saved it" tho...

The 32 Ford Roadster w/ flathead was just plain nostalgic...

Attachments

• 32Flathd01-b.JPG
    32Flathd01-b.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 107
  • CrazyMikeWelsh-b.JPG
    CrazyMikeWelsh-b.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 132
  • JunkydStangHotRodMag-b.JPG
    JunkydStangHotRodMag-b.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Wofford4Banger-b.JPG
    Wofford4Banger-b.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 123
Does anyone want to try their Turbo Buick out on the strip? Turbo Monte? Alonzo?
I'd think that it would be 40-60 seconds of pure torture inside the cylinders on my car. 25 psi for that long and any small problem becomes instant head gasket failure.

I saw a stock 06 GTO run 140mph so that could be considered ballpark for a gbody.

i would love to run my Turbo600 but you guys are to far away

I always breathe a sigh of relief at the end of just 1/4 mile. I'd feel better w/ boost cranked back to 18-19'sh for 1st 3/4 mi--then crank it to 24-25 for last 1/4 or so,,,wadaya think?? Certainly would need tape (or aftermarket lexan type covers) over our headlight wind-catchers...

There was a fairly new Dodge turbo diesel there that made several runs. Don't know what kind of boost he was making tho (or his speed--no interest then I guess)???

I agree. The fastback Mustang has run there for at least several years and scared the SHXX out of me when I saw it. With it being a uni-body car with severe rust problems (holes), I am surprised it gets through tech inspection. I would not want to go highway speeds, much less more than 100 mph in it.
Conrad

ps...there are some way cool cars there. You NEVER know what might be under the hood of any car there. Could be a late model Mazda with a flat-head Ford motor. Every gearhead needs to go at least one time!

I would think that Maxton would be ok with alcohol injection, moderately rich tune, plenty of injector duty cycle available, and <20 psi boost. This is one place you definitely want to be conservative.
Conrad

Yeah, the ole Stang was pictured in Hot Rod Mag earlier this year--which is where I uncovered the dates of this recent "meet" pre-Bonneville. The pix don't do the rust the justice it deserves...:eek:

Hey Monte, check your camera. That last photo was a little out of frame to the right.:D

Back