Stays of Execution

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
My PowerMaster motor died :mad: several days back so I've been out of the GN. Several would be kills have had their executions postponed to a later date while I toil around in my 97 Grand Prix GTP.

I've seen this one Saleen Mustang 3 times over the last several days....never seen him before...he'll disappear again once I'm back in the GN.
Missed out on one other Saleen and a newer Shelby GT350 too.

A snotty Cobalt SS buzzed me....

Miscelaneuous Sti's and Evo's.

A couple Vettes

A 67 Stang and a few GT's

An two M3's and and E55 AMG.

I should be back in the GN in a couple days....then it'll be killin' time again....:cool:

I plan on using an inhumane dose of lethal injection by boost.:D

If I could locate a good, reliable PowerMaster, I'd be back at it.

Might be converting to vacuum set-up...

Somebody just listed one in the Texas forum.

I've driven my GN quite a bit over the summer, no races. I saddled up to a circa 2000 Corvette on the freeway and slipped it into D. This big guy with a huge beard looked over at me, I waved, he gave me the peace sign and then looked straight ahead. :mad: Maybe he thought I was gay and was flirting with him.

Somebody just listed one in the Texas forum.

I've driven my GN quite a bit over the summer, no races. I saddled up to a circa 2000 Corvette on the freeway and slipped it into D. This big guy with a huge beard looked over at me, I waved, he gave me the peace sign and then looked straight ahead. :mad: Maybe he thought I was gay and was flirting with him.

Nah...the PM in Texas is used and I can fined lots of so called "good" used ones locally...just don't know how long they would actually last or what the true condition is...
Gonna try one more used one today.
The problem we're having is the replacement motor and pump will run, but they won't stop running and can't seem to build the pressure well enough to trigger the pressur switch.
Already tried known good pressure switches and accumulator balls...even known good master cylinder...
No apparent leaks...

The only thing we have not changed out yet is the combo valve (under the driver side floor going to the rear brakes) which does look a little shady.

I just don't want to be back at this in a few months.

I was referred to a guy near by who used to rebuild them. I talked with him and he said he stopped rebuilding them because good parts are no longer available. He still has switches and accumulator balls, but said the pumps and motors are pretty much non existant, so even when buying "rebuilt" PM units from otherwise reputable sources...you're still taking a big gamble.:rolleyes:

Beyond that...I don't have the budget for a proper Hydraboost set up so...
Vacuum brakes here I come.

Understood. Mine came with vacuum brakes and the brakes had a habit of 'going away' after full throttle or when trying to stop before crashing through my garage door. Some people swear the hose being T'd into the PCV valve line does not contribute or cause this problem. I checked everything - changed pcv, new vacuum hoses everywhere, new vacuum block and gasket, check valve worked perfectly and everything seemed fine. The problem would not go away.

I finally ordered a new vacuum block that has the separate port for the brake vacuum. The brakes have worked perfectly ever since. To be fair, maybe the holes in the T were to small in diameter or something.

Good to know.
Thanks.
I'm definitely going off the vacuum block for the conversion. I kinda like the look of the billet piece anyway...
Shiny....:D

I'm a fan of the powermaster. I can hold the car at the starting line at whatever boost level I wish. The powermaster is a simple system and fairly easy to diagnose. I've got the diagnostic tool that the dealers used to perform the various tests. It shows me the pressure of my accumulator charge, the psi at which the motor turns on and shuts off etc.

The motor shouldn't run more than 10 seconds. Since you've verified that your accumulator ball and pressure switch are good, I would suspect that the master cylinder has an internal leak.

By the way, the pump/motor assemblies and pressure switches are available brand new, so no need to buy a used one. It's just the master cylinders that I haven't found a reliable source for.

Where are you finding new pump motor assy's at?
Anyone else I've chatted up says those are the items you cannot get new any more.

We finally located a good used PM assy and got that on there....works like a charm.

Suspect that the pumps on the motors we tried were bad.

We had swapped off everything else with known good parts already (accumulator, switch, master cylinder) and the motor would run but the system couldn't build enough pressure to trigger the pressure switch so the motor would keep going...annd going...and going....

Also going to change the proportioning valve. I still have one of the original ones that were apparently targeted for recall back in the olden days.

I finally ordered a new vacuum block that has the separate port for the brake vacuum. The brakes have worked perfectly ever since. To be fair, maybe the holes in the T were to small in diameter or something.

This is the only way to do it, plus it gives you a reason to upgrade to a "Billet" piece if you haven't already. I also put a brand new Viton check in that line :D

Today, a 335i and another STi were spared.:cool:

Should have my GN back on the road tomorrow.:biggrin:

Chicken I would go away ahead and start planning a Hyrdoboost setup for the future, even if you get your PM repaired. I run vacuum on my GN with great results but I am already getting ready to upgrade to a Hyrdoboost which is better than a PM ever was.

I'm with you on the missed kills, just in the last week for me it has been 1 Mazdaspeed Miata, Mazdaspeed 3 and 2 Wrxs spared :rolleyes: I have a 98 BMW 540I daily driver so I don't pick on the Beemers too much.. I love that car in the twisties :D

Think how much money in gas you saved Chicken letting all those cars just leave the intersection in a slow fashion....the tree-huggers appreciate your "broken-down" status (i love blowin diesel smoke whenever I see a Prius in the Dmax...hehe). Have fun Saleen-hunting when u get her back going and post the kills....I love hunting newer Stangs and Vettes...keeps me young :D ...Soon I will be hunting in the GN as the project is finally coming together...give the old Superbee a break!

Chicken I would go away ahead and start planning a Hyrdoboost setup for the future, even if you get your PM repaired. I run vacuum on my GN with great results but I am already getting ready to upgrade to a Hyrdoboost which is better than a PM ever was.

I'm with you on the missed kills, just in the last week for me it has been 1 Mazdaspeed Miata, Mazdaspeed 3 and 2 Wrxs spared :rolleyes: I have a 98 BMW 540I daily driver so I don't pick on the Beemers too much.. I love that car in the twisties :D

Ya...this will be the last of the PowerMasters on my GN once it goes out.

About your 540i...
I was behind one of those in my 68 Camaro on a Canyon Road just a few miles from my house called Trabuco Canyon. He was trying to shake me loose and couldn't...I stayed glued to him and had to keep off the throttle quite a bit when exiting corners just to avoid rubbing draft bumping his backside.
On the other end of the road, he's grinning ear-to-ear as I came along side him.

Him: What the hell? That thing IS NOT stock is it?
Me: Nuh uh...:biggrin:

After the light turned green, as I shifted into 2nd, really I let it out and gave him a smoke show.

Think how much money in gas you saved Chicken letting all those cars just leave the intersection in a slow fashion....the tree-huggers appreciate your "broken-down" status (i love blowin diesel smoke whenever I see a Prius in the Dmax...hehe). Have fun Saleen-hunting when u get her back going and post the kills....I love hunting newer Stangs and Vettes...keeps me young :D ...Soon I will be hunting in the GN as the project is finally coming together...give the old Superbee a break!

Word.

I get at least 70 more miles out of a tank of gas in the GTP compared to the GN.

My PowerMaster motor died :mad: several days back so I've been out of the GN. Several would be kills have had their executions postponed to a later date while I toil around in my 97 Grand Prix GTP.

I've seen this one Saleen Mustang 3 times over the last several days....never seen him before...he'll disappear again once I'm back in the GN.
Missed out on one other Saleen and a newer Shelby GT350 too.

A snotty Cobalt SS buzzed me....

Miscelaneuous Sti's and Evo's.

A couple Vettes

A 67 Stang and a few GT's

An two M3's and and E55 AMG.

I should be back in the GN in a couple days....then it'll be killin' time again....:cool:

I plan on using an inhumane dose of lethal injection by boost.:D

Get rid of the PM, bite the bullet & get a 84 / 85 hydroboost. You'll like it. Many posts about the conversion, have $300 - $500 available (still cheaper than PM).

Get rid of the PM, bite the bullet & get a 84 / 85 hydroboost. You'll like it. Many posts about the conversion, have $300 - $500 available (still cheaper than PM).

Next time...:biggrin:

Oh...and another Saleen was allowed to live this AM.:cool:

I was in the GN this time, but he pulled a left where I needed to go straight and there was too little time to stalk him before work.

Next time...

Oh...and another Saleen was allowed to live this AM.

I was in the GN this time, but he pulled a left where I needed to go straight and there was too little time to stalk him before work

Sorry excuse....Your never gonna catch up on those missed-kills with that attitude...screw work, You do what's "right" next time :D:D

Sorry excuse....Your never gonna catch up on those missed-kills with that attitude...screw work, You do what's "right" next time :D:D

I know, huh:(...my priorities are all jacked up after putting around in my Pontiac for over a week.

I even let some old lady on her electric scooter out run me to the cross walk.

I'll be back to form next time....no mercy!:cool:

An M3 received the death penalty yesterday...

I'm back in action.
Executed an M3 yesterday....still had dealer plates.

Noticed the M3 guy weaving through traffic behind me....was thinking that he may have actually been trying to catch me.:p

There was too much traffic to get a line-up for a "safe" run so I figured I'd have to let this one live.:rolleyes:

I got into a left turn lane and he jumped over and got behind me.

OK...stupid wants it....then stupid gets it...

On the green light, he rides my bumper all the way through the turn.
I kept in a position that would put me in the outside lane, but did not leave him room to cut around my inside and get the advantage while we were still in the turn.

As soon as we were going straight, he starts making his move so I nailed it...and smiled:biggrin: as he got smaller in my side view mirror...:biggrin:

Once I had about 3 lengths on him...and still walking away... I let out.
...Stupid does a fly by.
He still had dealer ad plates.:p

I love killing the new M car owners the most...they need to be taught young that their M cars aint the kings they thought they were.:cool:
Crush their hope with extreme prejudice...and what better to do it with than a ugly ol' granny car Buick...:biggrin:

Pure evil... I love it.:cool: Keep up the kills... Maybe we'll have more converts to the Darkside...

BTW, vacuum is the way to go on the cheap.. Went to the local yards sourced the parts for less than 100bux. Will swap to hydroboot when money is right. I'm told it will put you through the windshield. (lately, however, my vacuum brakes consider my pressing the pedal to be a suggestion):eek: