Steering Column wiring details.

brandnu6

hello everybody. So, I had a problem last week. As I was driving home, out of nowhere, I heard a "Pop" then car stalled. Could not restart. called AAA towed it home. Next day car cranked over? I replaced ignition lock cylinder. I am also going to change-out "ignition starter switch" the one on top of the column. Also, Neutral safety switch, AKA, "reverse light switch. I found a wire under the column, a White wire to be exact. I think it is part of the "directional/cruise" harness. I have looked high and low for wiring diagrams for "steering wheel/directional" drawings. I have GM books, however. I have found NOTHING! Does anybody have a wiring schematic for steering column and ALL related switches involved? It's driving me nuts...

Com' on guys, I need some help here. I know we have some expert electrical people on the forum. Thanks...

Thanks man. The link works. I have that information already. I couldn't find what I was looking for. However, I did find some information online. Infact, I ordered an NOS "turn signal switch assembly." Part #1997988. Take care.

Page 8A-110-0 there is a white wire that runs the stop/brake lamps through the turn/hazard assembly, it goes into a harmonica connector at the side middle of the steering column, if pulled out of that connector the brake lights don't work something to check.
Post up some pics. of the problem wire, sounds like you are replacing a lot of parts that may not be bad.

Hi there. Thanks for your time. I ended up replacing "key switch cylinder. Also, I found three splices under the column on Purple W/ Wht. tracer. It goes to "factory Theft Deterrent" starter interrupt relay. Then to "brake switch at pedal, then to starter solenoid. This was due to the fact that there was an "aftermarket alarm system" on top of factory one, which I ripped out when I got the car 10 years ago. I respliced the wire the right way. The other thing I did that was recommended was to "bypass" factory alarm. Which I did with a "jumper in the connector after removing relay. I took car to a car show tonight. Thank God everything seems good, the car runs great since rebuilt motor and trans. New Precision BB Turbo, Precision S.L.I.C. Campion Irons. Maybe now I can "enjoy" the car a little, instead of working on it so much. I not complaining. I enjoy troubleshooting different problems, it's very satisfying to know with the GM books and a lot of "good advice." from people in the know, I can be successful at resolving any issue that should arise. Think about it. How many mechanics out there have a clue as to these cars and their quirky problems. Imagine bringing the car in for brake work. They would be scratching their heads wondering, what is this? The "power master brake system," they would be totally lost. I would rather do my own work anyway. It pays to be though. These cars are very finicky. Thanks again...
PXL_20240613_212448784.jpg