STEP BY STEP ENGINE REBUILD!

Well i wanted to pull the motor today but my cherry picker decided to take a day off so since i wanted to get some advance well i started to take the motor a part in the car so here we go with what i did today!

Started by taking one intercooler bracket!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198285.585900.jpg

Then decided to take the intake off
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198319.868821.jpg

Valley pan
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198337.318395.jpg

Here are the lifters and push rod
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198363.469835.jpg

I took the passenger side headers out
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198401.151712.jpg

Header 2
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198414.285276.jpg

Header 3
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198427.618446.jpg

Header 4
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198447.520070.jpg

You guys think these are stock headers or aftermarket headers if so can anybody tell me what they are?

Here are a couple photos of engine on the passenger side!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198552.869398.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198567.284878.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388198579.402640.jpg

Let me know guys!

Ebay headers . Tell from the thin collectors and the dent in the crossover pipe
( Kenny bell style)
V.Springs & head gaskets were done at one point ( arp head bolts

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Yep, and a non stock valley pan gasket.

.....and why in the world would someone paint a trans tube blue?

Lets play a game what is this turbo??? Can anybody identify it?

View attachment 208454
View attachment 208455
View attachment 208456
View attachment 208457
View attachment 208458
View attachment 208459

Let me know what you guys and gals think this turbo is??
Previous photos of the engine show 2 nuts on the oil inlet flange (on either side of the brass oil feed fitting). To my knowledge neither the TA49 nor the TA60 came with any such nuts on the flange. My GT32 has those nuts though...my guess is GT3255.

Does anybody think the same thing?? If thats the case is that a better turbo then the ta/49??

Previous photos of the engine show 2 nuts on the oil inlet flange (on either side of the brass oil feed fitting). To my knowledge neither the TA49 nor the TA60 came with any such nuts on the flange. My GT32 has those nuts though...my guess is GT3255.
Sorry, they are "bolts" not nuts...

It looks like a 49 but what 49 came with bolts on the oil inlet flange?

In one of the photos there is an engraving on the compressor neck. I can only make out what looks like "55 A". If the preceding numbers are "32" then it's a GT3255. The "A" stands for stock appearing,

In one of the photos there is an engraving on the compressor neck. I can only make out what looks like "55 A". If the preceding numbers are "32" then it's a GT3255. The "A" stands for stock appearing,
Well you got me curious so i went and check and it is written 3255a on the compressor neck!

Now that whe know what turbo it is can i ask is this a good turbo is this better then the ta49 give me some info ob this turbo please!

Probably similar results with either. Gunslinger runs that turbo and went 12.1 with a blown head gasket. Quite a while ago Russ Merritt had a customer that ran an 11. 2 or there abouts with it. Either turbo would have to be run at 22+ to see 11s.

Well you got me curious so i went and check and it is written 3255a on the compressor neck!

Now that whe know what turbo it is can i ask is this a good turbo is this better then the ta49 give me some info ob this turbo please!
First things first...what's my prize?? :D

They are very, very similar to the 49 making it a terrific street turbo. They make about the same power and spools lightning quick with the PTE .63 exhaust housing and stock D5 converter. When they first came out it was supposed to replace the 49 but for whatever reason the 49 still remains more popular. Old habits die hard I guess...

FWIW, I recently switched from a 49 to a GT32 and I like it better. I did a lot of research on this turbo before I bought it. The only downside I could find is that the GT wheels are very expensive to replace, according to bison. And maybe thats why the 49 remains more popular... Hope this helps. Maybe others who've ran this turbo before will chime in.

626gn at the end of the build i will mention your name and say that you you got me to know my car better thats one hell of a prize

But all jokes a part thanks for helping me!

Woot-Woot!! That is one hell of a prize! This is going to be one hell of a thread when you're done.

Seriously though, by the time you're done this thread will be helpful to more than you will ever know. Good luck and thanks for documenting your progress.

Well thanks

Being the biginner i am in the tb world i was looking for a tread like this but never found one so decided i would do one for myself and for other newbies like me so i could be helpfull!

And because of guys like you and others questions are answered helpfull tips are given to help me and other so guys keep up the good work!

Use a Fel Pro 1000 for head gaskets. They come individually so buy two. TA performance has this .

You can reuse the ARP head bolts you have. I hate my IPad I will post more info here in a bit. Sorry