Stock Appearing Class Tire Poll (One more try)

What kind of tire should be allowed in this class?

• Up to a 275/60-15 drag radial.

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • Up to a 28x9-in slick.

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There appears to be 2 types of people:

1. People who want this class to represent what a "street" car can perform like: Street tires, full exhaust, stock down pipe, stock IC, etc..

2. People who want to push the limits of the stock turbo and let the turbo be the limiting factor: Slicks, Stretched IC, 3" DP, open exhaust, etc..

The First group of people will have cars that will be more difficult to "race" and will require them to work hard in getting power to the ground and, IMO, you won't have many that are successful. So there probably won't be many close races.

The Second group won't have to worry about traction but will have to be creative in making power and cutting good lights. This will probably have closer races since the starting line will equalize the racers.

ks:cool:

There appears to be 2 types of people:

1. People who want this class to represent what a "street" car can perform like: Street tires, full exhaust, stock down pipe, stock IC, etc..

2. People who want to push the limits of the stock turbo and let the turbo be the limiting factor: Slicks, Stretched IC, 3" DP, open exhaust, etc..

The First group of people will have cars that will be more difficult to "race" and will require them to work hard in getting power to the ground and, IMO, you won't have many that are successful. So there probably won't be many close races.

The Second group won't have to worry about traction but will have to be creative in making power and cutting good lights. This will probably have closer races since the starting line will equalize the racers.

ks:cool:

I would be in a third group of people that want to have a stock appearing car. Stock intercooler, stock turbo elbow, stock appearing MAF, downpipe, etc.

DOT tires and a Pro Tree will make for close races and the mandated stock pieces will keep it from becoming a rollbar/harness/firejacket/racecar class.

No matter what the formula, probably the max number of cars at any one event will be about 15. Less, if the formula changes dramatically every year.

I would be in a third group of people that want to have a stock appearing car. Stock intercooler, stock turbo elbow, stock appearing MAF, downpipe, etc.

DOT tires and a Pro Tree will make for close races and the mandated stock pieces will keep it from becoming a rollbar/harness/firejacket/racecar class.

No matter what the formula, probably the max number of cars at any one event will be about 15. Less, if the formula changes dramatically every year.

This woud be my prefered format also. I would have to remove a few things from my car but that would be class i would like to see.

DOT tires will do nothing to reduce ET's. I have been 1.34 on drag radials and 1.35 on slicks. That is why I think both should be allowed, that way nobody has to buy a special tire to run this once a year class.

I'm in the third group also. The car I plan to bring, depending on final rules, is currently bone stock and I'll have to build the car to whatever the rules end up so I'm not wanting to make the rules fit my car but imo it seems to be going away from stock appearing with 3" downpipes, alky injection, dutt neck intercoolers, and any intake air induction system - none of those things are stock appearing to me.

As for the drag radial vs dot slick vs full slick I say run whatever you want within a size limit like 28x10. Me personally I'd want to run 275/55R16 drag radials(on stock 16x8 TTA wheels)scince drag radials are proven faster than slicks at the cost of some consistency - but I would have a set of slicks waiting to go depending on track and weather conditions.

I'm in the third group also. The car I plan to bring, depending on final rules, is currently bone stock and I'll have to build the car to whatever the rules end up so I'm not wanting to make the rules fit my car but imo it seems to be going away from stock appearing with 3" downpipes, alky injection, dutt neck intercoolers, and any intake air induction system - none of those things are stock appearing to me.

As for the drag radial vs dot slick vs full slick I say run whatever you want within a size limit like 28x10. Me personally I'd want to run 275/55R16 drag radials(on stock 16x8 TTA wheels)scince drag radials are proven faster than slicks at the cost of some consistency - but I would have a set of slicks waiting to go depending on track and weather conditions.

Will you be in Ohio for the BPG nats?

Jason

I'm affraid I'm with you. I'd have to spend a ton of money to bring my otherwise stock 87 up to the standards of the class to have any hope at all.
Class isn't even finalized yet and many of us are out of contention. :mad:

I agree 100%

I'm affraid I'm with you. I'd have to spend a ton of money to bring my otherwise stock 87 up to the standards of the class to have any hope at all.
Class isn't even finalized yet and many of us are out of contention. :mad:

This is why we will continue to have these polls. I wouldn't say that "many" are out of contention. The only real allowances thus far are DP, injectors, and MAF. In one of the first polls that I set up I asked the question of how we structure the class - pure stock, stock appearing with minor bolt ons or stock appearing with more than bolt ons. The majority went for for the minor bolt ons. We will continue to mold and meld the class into what the majority wants it to be. I am always open for a pure stock class as well. Please don't think that I am not open to the idea of having a PURE stock class where the cars are run as the factory built them but we would have to make sure that we have the interest with actual follow through. Someone step up if they want a PURE STOCK class and we will do the same as we are doing for this class.

Jim C. - GSCA Race Director

Gentleman, if you will refer to this post you will what I am refering to in my above post. I am open for whatever and only stand at the helm for some type of order and direction to actually get this off the ground. Hope this helps.

I am curious as to just how many folks are interested in a completely stock class. I would hate to go through all of the effort of putting one together only to have no turnout. I believe this class as it stands will build a pretty good following.

I am curious as to just how many folks are interested in a completely stock class. I would hate to go through all of the effort of putting one together only to have no turnout. I believe this class as it stands will build a pretty good following.

I don't think anybody wants a completely stock class. I think something more along the lines of keeping the intercooler, turbo, downpipe/elbow, and MAF stock would be more appealing.

I think Kirban's Crew tried to put this together at BG, don't think it ever happened. :confused:

I don't think anybody wants a completely stock class. I think something more along the lines of keeping the intercooler, turbo, downpipe/elbow, and MAF stock would be more appealing.

These are all issues that we can put into future polls; yes?

Here is your chance to lay out what mods if any should be allowed. Remember majority rules so which ever way it goes in the poll will be what is allowed or not. The poll is set up for 5 days.

HTML:
 Posted by 67turboCamaro  

Injectors, Cat Back Exhaust, Chip, Ported TB, Converter and Tires seem like the only performance mods then.

IMO, I don't think anyone ( or enough of them ) that fit this bill will want to beat the crap out of their car event after event to win this class year after year. If you have all those stock parts on the car I don't see how you can be into racing and beating on it or looking forward to braking parts or blowing up motors. The highest % of those type of people would be driving their cars on the weekends for 4 months a year, probably not driving to events to make some hard WOT passes.

If Nick will allow a class to run with less than 8 cars, see how few of them you need to make it happen and make two classes, Totally Stock and Stock Modified. Then allow the Totally Stock cars to race in the Stock Modified, kind of like Light Heavy Weight jumping up to Heavy Weight. ;)