You can type here any text you want

Stock Block Dry Sump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I figure this is the place to ask this, can you actually put a Stage II drysump system on a production 14 bolt oilpan block? I'm running into clearance issues with fitting the oilpan, either hot air or t-riv into my rear steering linkage 65 Riviera. One of the options is to go dry sump and considering you can get dry sump pans for cheap for these motors, it seems slightly viable. Otherwise its slice and dice time on the stock pan.

Thanks,

Well,

That could be possible, but feeding the oil into the block will be the problem on a stock block. Stage blocks all have front and rear ports cast in and drilled to feed the oil in from the pump.

Stock blocks don't have that feature. You could modify a front cover to accept the oil feed. You will spend alot of time effort and money trying to make this work, but you would have a bulletproof oiling system when you're done and it would look cool.

Dave

I know two guys who have dry sump parts (Tarabori and Booher). The two pans I got from Ron Tarabori are nice low profile pans. The stuff is out there and its reasonably priced because it seams to be in low demand among the Buick croud. I not qualified to tell you how to get the discharged pumped into the main galley, but if you had to go through the front cover then maybe starting with a dry sump front cover would make it easier. Dry sump front covers are also pretty inexpensive.

Jason

Mike Booher is actually a local, we both live in Dayton so I'm sure he'll have plenty of odds and ends crap for this. Next question would be will a Stage Dry Sump front cover fit on a stock block? Luckily I'm running a 4.1 so its a 14 bolt block so the oil pan bolt patterns should match up. How much would you be wanting for that pump (c/ bracket) Gary?

The big deal would be that this is a street car, not an out and out race machine so will a dry sump be reliable enough to put 5k miles on the car a year and take a power tour type road trip? Also the car will retain full accesories (AC, Power Steering.... ect) will adding the pump with the stock belt system inplace be difficult?

Thanks for the critiques of my crazy musings,

The S2 race cover I believe is for on-center blocks and the cover will be too short(depth wise) to work on a stock block. Maybe you can drill out the stock blocks oil sending unit location passage, if possible(I am thinking out loud, never actually looked into it) and re-tap the threads. and plug off the front of the block and oil pickup location. Now I am thinking a little more, the old S2 blocks used a 3/8 NPT oil feed and then went to 1/2 NPT on the on-centers. I would try and run it as-is if the passage is at least 3/8". I don't know for a fact your 4.1 will have the 3/8 NPT or 1/4" NPT.

Back