Stock Ported GN Heads / TA, or Champion?

Underboost

Mr. Dull
I was wondering, if I have a set of stock Iron heads that are getting me into the 9's with a flow of 1,200cfm. How much of a difference are the aftermarket Champion, or TA Heads gonna flow? I know that you would have to champ fer the block to run 202's but whats better with out cutting the block?

Stay with Irons?

Go with Alum?

Anyone?????????????????????????

Oh! HOW AM I GOING TO KEEP THESE ON WITH 8 STUDS?:D

I like the TA heads right now to go deep into the 9's! I think they are the best bang for the buck!

I like the TA heads right now to go deep into the 9's! I think they are the best bang for the buck!

I know Zimmerman knows these heads inside, and out and is getting close to
300 each cyl :eek: But I'm not sure if thats with a 202 valve. :confused: I don't want to cut the block.

Thanks for the input SGRIM ;)

300 each cyl :eek: But I'm not sure if thats with a 202 valve. :confused: I don't want to cut the block.

Thanks for the input SGRIM ;)

If you look closely at the stock combustion chamber, it overhangs the top of the cylinder bore too. So even with stock heads the block needs notching a little. With 2.02 valves, I know the chambers are much wider and definately needs it.

If you look closely at the stock combustion chamber, it overhangs the top of the cylinder bore too. So even with stock heads the block needs notching a little. With 2.02 valves, I know the chambers are much wider and definately needs it.

Ok, when notching the block a little how does the head gasket seal?
I don't understand how this works. Do you know, or have pic's? Thank You

Ok, when notching the block a little how does the head gasket seal?
I don't understand how this works. Do you know, or have pic's? Thank You

I don't have any pictures of the "R" heads at the moment but if you look at a stock headgasket the hole isn't round. I marked the deck of the block using the gasket as a template. Grind out only enough material so the gasket still seals...only of you're using stock heads. You can also install the heads on a bare block and look into the cylinders from the crankshaft side. You can feel with your fingers how the chambers overhang on top of the block. That small area can create a "wall" to the incoming air from the intake valve. Don't grind below the top piston ring sealing area of the bore!

Here's a picture after I notched the bore some. This was stock heads with unshrouded valves.

borehead.jpg

With the GN1R heads, that have larger than stock combustion chambers, you can't use a stock head gasket. You'll have to use one for a bigger bore 4.1L.

Thank you for the great info Turbo1dr ;) So basically if I do notch the block
the motor will need to be disassembled.

I'm pretty sure people have gotten the ta heads past 250 cfm on the intakes with the 1.94 valves. Do some searching to find the thread Nick Micale posted a few months ago to see what the ultimate is.

I'm pretty sure people have gotten the ta heads past 250 cfm on the intakes with the 1.94 valves. Do some searching to find the thread Nick Micale posted a few months ago to see what the ultimate is.
Ported champion GN1's will flow just a tad over 250 at.500 with a 1.90 intake valve. No mods to the block are needed if you go this route.

300 each cyl :eek: But I'm not sure if thats with a 202 valve. :confused: I don't want to cut the block. ;)

Actually Zimmerman made a little over 300 cfm on my TA heads, and this is with a 1.94" intake valve.:smile:

Actually Zimmerman made a little over 300 cfm on my TA heads, and this is with a 1.94" intake valve.:smile:

Well, show us some of the pictures you took of them...:biggrin: I want to see these so called high flowing heads!:cool:

Flow number?

Just going thru some old paper work on the rebuild the original owner had done in 94. Can't figure out what size valves just know they went bigger SS Manleys. Equalized chambers 48cc which is standard right? The numbers on the valves 11502's and 11503 tried to look em up to see what size they are. On some of the paper work it say match polish chambers and Flow Test. Them one of the numbers is 300cfm at 28" intake and 200cfm at 28" exhaust. This was done by an old guy name Gibson at Gibson Performance. These good number I guess????

very nice, im impressed... have you been to the track with that setup?

whats that above your a/c heater delete? some sort of cowl?