Stock rear end???

FNG

How many of yall have swapped rear ends vs building the 10 bolt? How much power can be put through a 10 bolt if I was to hook it up?

Here is the build of the car I bought. (which was another member here and was his sig line) This was my ex brother inlaws car and I know he never got more than 5 psi off the line. (so he said)

86gn daily driver.ta49,009's,hemco upper,champion ported cast iron heads and larger valves,254/430 cam,.030 over,3''mass and translator,2/34 duals,gnx style wheels,245/50/16,home made alky inj,23psi mm 93oct chip,hot wired fp,stock intercooler,dp, 7.90@88.75 1.85/60ft.

Thanks for any info.:cool:

The ten bolt beefed up will take a ton.
A decent set of axles and an upgraded posi
will let it live into the 9s no problem.
Some members here have runs 8s for seaons
with a spool a race axles.

Thanks guys. I worry about it because we run on dirt tracks and that is one of the first things to go. We flog the hell out of the 9" we put in and since I am new to this style of driving. I worry about hooking the car up as hard as I want to.

I was considering slapping a set of stickies on and going to the strip to see what I can do.:biggrin:

I've gone 9.9 with a 1.37 sixty in a 3700lbs 2nd gen Camaro. Welded alxe tubes, T/A cover,spool and 28 spline Strange axles.

I think the weak spot is the gears.
Last time checked no one makes a pro gear for this rear.
Get rid of the c clips if you plan on 60 footing the car hard.

I have a question. Is there anybody that makes an aftermarket posi unit for these rears? Would a spool be more effective with 3.73 gears?

I have 2 trucks spooled and I doubt you would want to drive one on the road in a car. At least my trucks have large enough side walls to flex when going around turns.

Like "Otto J" said earlier, a "beefed up" 10 bolt will take a ton...I still have the original 10 bolt rear housing on my GN with the factory 3.42 gears, BUT I "beefed it up" with some aftermarket axles and spool (Moser)...It's been like that for several years now, without a single problem.

Claude :smile:

I have a 10bolt w/ 28spline Moser Axles, an Auburn Posi Pro, Stock Gears, and a TA Girdle. I need bigger Axles.

"So I've heard" the problem with these built 10 bolt rear ends is the Ring Gear occasionally brakes only when your in the 8's. :eek: That's in the 1/4

Still run a factory 10 bolt in mine and dont plan on changing it its heavily modded but the car has run a string of 8.60s:eek:

Thanks guys.. That helps me have a worm fuzzy feeling about it now. Do yall think that with some c clip eliminators and stronger/factory spline axles carry the car in the 10's?

I went with stock rear.has eaton carrier and 30 spline axles.welded tubes and brace kit and cover.I did not do c-clip eliminators.This car is going to be street driven mostly and they tend to leak .so decided not to go with that set up.

Attachments

• Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 173
"chopped39", there is an easy way to fix oil leaks coming from axles equipped with c-clip eliminators: I went to a place who sells bearings and seals, and bought two seals that fit in the axle tube and in which the axle fit snugly. I pressed the seals into the axle tubes (not to far inside so the seals rests against the machined portion of the axle), and then reinstalled the axles. Since then, I NEVER had a single drop of oil leaking anywhere !
The seal part number I used is 28X55X8DL...I dunno if this can be of any help , but there it is anyway...
That's it!

'bye!
Claude
_____