You can type here any text you want

Stock rods..Pistons..and Crank..??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many times? have you looked at your bearings

we rip ours apart during the winter (8-10k miles) . It's sitting on the engine stand now waiting patiently :p. `Better to do it when ya have plenty of time or you will miss a summer if ya have something come up. Unless ya have other motors you can "use" :p

so in your opinion whats the weekest link?

figured the crank is a un-known for the most part
From my experience the weakest part is the pistons in a clean running engine. I ran over 700hp for over a year on a stock bottom end and it was over 600hp for at least 2 years. After its last 3 months at 33psi it cracked the #1 piston down the center parallel to the wrist pin. The car trapped nearly 134mph at 28.5psi. Within a 6 month span a few others posted the same failure in the same part of the piston. There is a thread on it somewhere if you search under my user name. The main caps showed minimal metal transfer but the #2 and #3 main showed a lot of evidence of crank flex. I still have the crank and it is in decent shape and was crack free. I may cut it .010/.010 to clean it up really nice.

The key is clean tune. I ran high 10's on a 80,000 mile short block, and I must admit, on the street, I had detonation with 93 mixed in. My brother has a 80,000 mile short block and trans running high 10's. It has never seen detonation since he has had it, and it came out of an all stock car. It has been in the car since 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have gone 10.17 134mph with stock crank, rods and block did put 30over trw pistons with a great set of IRON heads and a 212/212 bilet roller, was hoping for 9,s with the combo but had Drive shaft problems at last race!!!
with a crappy 60fts!!!

JD

How many times? have you looked at your bearings

Have been mid to low tens all year 2010,running pump gas and alky, at most all THS events.

took the motor out to inspect( as this season is over till March) and the bearing where PERFECT!!!!

as others have said TUNE TUNE TUNE!!!

JD

That's good to hear guys...as long as my tune is in check low 11's seems like no problem....;)

Back