You can type here any text you want

Street Racing Traction Setup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNDriven

I am at the point of choosing a suspension setup.

This is going to be a street racing car. I am curious as to what 60' times are possible on the street. The car is powerful enough for 135 MPH in the quarter.

How is the approach different on the street vs the track? or is it the same?

Should I go all out on the suspension? i.e Coilovers?, Notch the frame?

What setup should I be putting together?

What pinion angle is optimum for the street?

Really how hard is it going to be to pull around a 1.55 or lower type launch on the street?

I really need launch on the street. I am going up against some high 9 sec cars and do not want to rely on driving around them.

Now is the time to address.
Please any thoughts.

Anybody street race suspension setup?

I mean ladder or 4 link is not a street application.

Is coilovers the best option or can stock mounted shocks and control arms be setup to hook on the street?

No one is answering you because a public forum is the the place to promote street racing.....Fast and the Furious is a different forum.
You would have had better luck with "What is the best suspension setup for an unprepped track?"

vht vht vht ur tires. control arm bushings car be honed out and make weight transer better. foot brake. jump on hand drop. 90/10s race fuel. u should be able to figure out ur own tire pressure and get a really wide wheel to strech out the tire

Get the car dialed in at the track and then test on the street, detuning it untnil it works. My car goes low-mid 1.3's at the track but will blow the tires off with that same tuneup on the street. I detuned it to where it would work on the street, then went back to the track and it went 1.38 60'. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to do this on the street too. Going only 1.55 60' vs 1.38' is about 3 car lengths at the stripe so make sure your car leaves as hard as possible. Fill up a bug sprayer with VHT and have a friend lay it down fairly thick for 20-30 feet in front of you and light it on fire. Do a good sized burnout and roll out no more than the vht is layed down. Backup in your tracks, put down a little puddle of vht and do a small 1st gear burnout just to coat the tires (dont burn it off). Roll out only a few feet, then back up right in front of the puddle and you are good to go. Practice on your own somehwere to get yourself dialed in before you sit next to someone and loose your $$. If I get some time I'll post vids of my car and a buddys doing 20' wheelies on a buzzard ashphault street during street testing.

ps WSLN6, F&F is not street racing, that is reckless driving. We do it the right way here in the chi.

The VHT is interesting. I am going to do some research on application. You bring up an interesting point on going 1.38 and blowing off the tires on the street. DO you think if you made further suspension modifications (shift weight, instant center) that you would hook better on the street, or do you think descreasing the torque and power is the answer. I am wondering if there are some supsension mods that are for the street, where the static coefficient of friction between rubber and cement is 1.0.

Hey cool idea is to have twin nozzle spraying system that is placed infront the tires sprays down a 12 inch stip of VHT. It could be feed from a small holding tank in the trunk. You could pull up spray as you move backwards, move forward slightly and do a burn out in it.

Questions, Is VHT heat activiated? would it be better to spray it directly on the tires? Does it need to be dried or does it work wet?

What I was saying was that my track tuneup was too much power for the street. I had to take power away to get the car to work. With this "detuned" setup, I went to the track and cut a 1.38 60' (this is what works on the street). My suspension setup stays the same unless the track is really really good then I tighten up the compression and rebound in the shocks a couple clicks.

Your idea about spraying vht wont work properly. VHT is extremly slick when wet. Dont bother using it if you cant set it on fire. The VHT bottle says "apply to a hot tire" so when you do the second small 1st gear burnout, you are doing exactly that.

Are you saying that you can cut a 1.38 60' indetuned form? You can hook on the street in this form? If so that implies you can get cut an appox 1.38 60' on the street. Cool.

Has anyone else make these kind of observations, where they have found what hooks on the street, and then tested it on the track to find out what kind of 60' time it is?

I am still looking up VHT trackbite info, one source claims you can spray it direclty on the tires. I am going to call the manufacture PJH Brand.

Let you know.

Practice on your own somehwere to get yourself dialed in before you sit next to someone and loose your $$.

Speaking of...

On Tuesday on my way home from work, probably 10 after 4, I saw a green Malibu on your road doing some test hits. :eek:

Are you saying that you can cut a 1.38 60' indetuned form? You can hook on the street in this form? If so that implies you can get cut an appox 1.38 60' on the street. Cool. .
Correct.

Speaking of...

On Tuesday on my way home from work, probably 10 after 4, I saw a green Malibu on your road doing some test hits. :eek:
Do you know who it was? I don't know of any green bu's that would be testing out there. Did it look fast? We might have to bust him up with the sixshtr!

Remove as much weight as possible from the front of the car. Drag shocks will help a lot. You will have to spend $ to do so buying light components and a glass bumper. Play with the tire pressure and VHT as spot my 6 explained. If you tune your car on the strip for low 1.30's you can add a ballast box and ballast the rear axle on the street. If you can leave at the same tune you will 60' almost the same. Add ballast till it hooks. The ballast will eat up a mph or maybe a little more but it will make you much quicker and consistent on the street. Which is very imortant. Most hard core street racers run a ballast box. All this is assuming the rear suspension is all set.

Correct.

Do you know who it was? I don't know of any green bu's that would be testing out there. Did it look fast? We might have to bust him up with the sixshtr!

From what I remember it was dark green with light green stripes, IN plates, had a cowl. I just heard it at idle, didn't see it make a pass... kind of a lot of traffic at 4 in the afternoon. :confused: It had to have been on a slick, there were new slick footprints the next day.

Have to ask though, why 2 different patches of rubber?

Does anybody run coilovers on the street? Does coilovers allow better tire planting properties or just more adjustments (Preload, etc)

What is the best 60' ft on street is capable with the stock style suspension?

Bison, I am looking up the ballast box info. Does this bolt directly to the rear axle or is placed in the trunk?

Does anybody run coilovers on the street? Does coilovers allow better tire planting properties or just more adjustments (Preload, etc)

What is the best 60' ft on street is capable with the stock style suspension?

Bison, I am looking up the ballast box info. Does this bolt directly to the rear axle or is placed in the trunk?
It is placed in the trunk. I used to use some 45lb plates in the spare tire well and a steel rim and tire in the trunk. It doesnt have to be in a box.

my buddie soaked his slicks with vht and pulled up the flooring in his race car trailer NO JOKE. the stuff works plain and simple! ive seen ppl pour dr pepper on the ground b4 races makes a sticky mess but it does and will hook a lil better but a vht and alky mix sprayed on the street and lit up will bring a front tire up

You guys must have concrete roads up there. Down here in FL most roads, that you can race on, are asphalt. My car has fairly similar performance to what you're planning. I haven't gone much better than 1.8 60ft. on asphalt. Most cars down here,on asphalt, don't leave too much better than that. My biggest thing that has saved me is lag. It's kinda like traction control. I have the basic stuff:bushings,springs,shocks, air bags,drag radials.

Back