You can type here any text you want

Survey: HP/cu vs. head, cam, boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
I thought this might be an interesting survey to do.

List 4 specifications that pertain to your engine combination.

1) HP/CID - Brake horsepower (flywheel) divided by engine's total cubic inch displacement.

2) Style of head used - Stage 1 or Stage 2. Listing what make of Stage 1 head is optional.

3) Cam type - Short duration or long duration. Short duration is considered any cam that has an intake duration specification of less than 224 degrees measured @ .050" lift.

4) Boost level - The boost used to obtain the above horsepower level.

I'll start off with my combination.

1) 4.4
2) Stage 1, M&A
3) Long
4) 22

The only problem with asking for CR is that some people consider that proprietary info. Also, if we add CR, we should also add fuel used. Most engine builders may feel their giving out too much 'top secret info'.

Let's make CR and fuel type/octane optional.

5) Static compression ratio of engine (optional)
6) Fuel type and octane level (optional)

I'm not much for keeping secrets. I would much rather do all I can to further the Buick cause or at least give people food for thought.

My inputs are:
5) 11.4 to one (Alky ver.2.0) max boost limit set at 22 psi. Alky ver.3.1 is 9.0 to one. Boost limit is turbo size (T76) limited to 28 psi. Both versions liquid intercooled.
6) 100% Alcohol (methanol) Used in both versions. Octane can have a range of 110 to 130, depending on how it is used.

well...........

1. 3.13 ( guess, as only measured rwhp) 620 rwhp/231cu in
2. stage 1, stock casting, some port clean up
3. short, 214 roller
4. 25-26 lbs

now with broken crank, but soon will be fixed.

ordered cat crank, and K1 rods, diamond pistons

seems so......

big thunking noise, feel it in the motor, oil press is good,?
don't know what else it could be. still running, but scary!
so I ordered a steel crank,K1 rods, diamond pistons,
went to dyno it, got 3 pulls before it really hammered, made 620 rwhp@26lbs
was rich , ex temp was only 1260 degrees,
should have it out next week,
well..... everything will be fresh now, so should have fun this comming year.

dyno operator was shocked, he normally does the corvette crowd, was doubtful when I told him what it would make(hp) was 2 corvette owners there ( road racers) both were asking "THATS A SIX CYL?" I told them it was a street car, I hung around to watch them dyno, neither one made more than 500 hp, I thoroughly enjoyed the look on there faces when they saw the HP #'s, coulda stuck a baseball in their mouth, it was open so big,LOL
I'll keep ya posted,
trans sure works great!!!!!

My HP numbers are sorry for what I have on my car. :redface: I felt this wasn't a good clean dyno run as the AFR was all over the place. I believe I was out of injector also. I was using 60lb injectors at the time.

1. 2.91 HP/CID - 684FWHP 235cu in (guessed at FWHP using 18% loss... RWHP was 580)
2. GN1-R full ported
3. short, 214 roller
4. 24-25 lbs
5) Compression ratio: Probably 7.7 to 1 (large chambers with stock compression style pistons)
6) VP 116

Drivetrain parasitic loss is going to range from 15% to 18% with our cars. Try to use 16.5% to calculate your RWHP to BHP. If anyone has both an engine dyno figure and a chassis dyno figure on the same engine, we would be very interested in the results.

If anyone needs any help calculating their HP, you will need vehicle weight, 1/4 mile ET and more importantly MPH. I'll help you with it.

The purpose of this survey is to see if we can discover a trend of what works to make big HP. Or, what an average HP/cube figure might be for a particular combination of tuning variables.

You know the n/a V8 guys can only dream of HP/cube figures like ours. :biggrin:

Well, I thought this was a pretty good thread. If you would have left out the "boost level" part I'm sure more people would have participated. Unfortunately, people seem to keep quiet about the boost levels they really run.

The old male ego thing getting in the way. Oh well. It would have been an interesting comparison. I guess all the fast guys want to be the only guys going fast. Can't blame them. That's competition. Right?

I thought this might be an interesting survey to do.

List 4 specifications that pertain to your engine combination.

1) HP/CID - Brake horsepower (flywheel) divided by engine's total cubic inch displacement.

2) Style of head used - Stage 1 or Stage 2. Listing what make of Stage 1 head is optional.

3) Cam type - Short duration or long duration. Short duration is considered any cam that has an intake duration specification of less than 224 degrees measured @ .050" lift.

4) Boost level - The boost used to obtain the above horsepower level.

I'll start off with my combination.

1) 4.4
2) Stage 1, M&A
3) Long
4) 22

I'll play. I have Chassis Dyno #'s on a customers car. Not Engine Dyno.
Mustang Dyno (NOT DYNO JET)
958 RWHP w/Turbo 400 & Ford 9in.
268 c.i.
Stage II heads
Cam info N/A
Touched 28 psi but a controlled 24.5 psi
C-16 Race Gas
I would thing it would be close to a 20% H.P. loss. I'll let you figure out the HP/ci. My calculator is not at my desk.:redface:

Cool! Thanks for playing!
Figuring 20% powertrain losses. 958 x 1.20 = 1,150 BHP.
HP/cid = 4.29

To everyone: On the cam specifications, I'm not asking for exact specs. If you could just identify whether intake duration is 'long' or 'short' as per the description in my original post for this thread, that would be great. Thanks.

Back