You can type here any text you want

T/A front cover problem...pics inside

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
I watched a cool video on YouTube about rebuilding a 4g63 front case and oil pump and decided to take a look at my nice, new TA front cover that will be going on the new motor. I haven't inspected it since I got it, but shiny parts make winter's in the basement tolerable. Anyway, if you look at the pics, there is a deformity on one of the holes around the driver side water port. It doesn't look like the cover was impacted after it was cast but there are two little stress cracks in the machined surface, and I can't figure out how this could NOT have happened until after machining? I must admit I don't know for sure how this piece is made or if the block mating surface is machined or cast that way or what. Should I have the machine shop true out the hole and flatten the surface a bit? I'm not excited about needing work on my front cover that is supposed to be bolt on ready and better than an NOS piece. Or is this something that should be sent back?

Thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks for looking.

DSC04455.JPG
DSC04456.JPG
DSC04457.JPG
DSC04458.JPG
DSC04459.JPG
DSC04460.JPG
DSC04461.JPG
DSC04462.JPG

Looks like and I would say it got dropped right on the corner. Probably not that critical as long as you can open up enough for the bolt to go through it.

It may have been damaged in shipping. Depending on how long you have had it, maybe TA will let you send it back. If not, be sure to use permatex, or some sort of sealer on the bolt. I am pretty sure that bolt hole goes into a water passage in the block, and coolant could leak there if it comes out the threads on the bolt.

Find someone with a flat sanding table (most tranny shops have them). File the gasket surface down mostly flat with a file and flat sand it out. If you can't find a flat table you could probably file it good enough. Definitely dropped on that corner after the fact. It's not a part killer, i'd get it flat and run it and never think twice about it. Coolant safe rtv or sealer is a good idea around that bolt hole though. Do NOT run it without flattening that burr out, it will hold the whole cover out from the gasket and make leaks.

Hold it against the block and make sure the bolt will still fit through it, if not just drill it out a little.

Sorry to say, but it looks like it'a been dropped to me too! I know that it would not have left T/A's shop in that condition. Pretty sure it must have happened during transit.
Do you still have the box it was shipped in? If it was me, I'd contact TA Performance and notify them that you rec'd it damaged. Hopefully they can put a claim thru to the carrier. In either case, I'd contact them to see if they'd replace it.

I installed my TA front cover last winter & it definitely did not have similar damage.

That thing defiantly got clobbered. If it happened it transit there should be a hole in the box where it impacted. Do not put it on a sander or a surface plate as it. If any kind of media goes over the oil holes (which need to be taped up) you'll have to take the entire pump apart and clean clean clean. The LAST thing you want in your bearings is abrasive media.

If you're not going to send it back get a sharp file and some sort of straight edge. Do your best to not mar up the machined surface around the water passage opening. If you go a few thousands below flush on the outside of the bolt hole (where the damage is done) you'll be fine. Don't go so low that tightening down the long bolt will stress the casting.

Before you go through a lot of trouble trying to make that work MAKE SURE there are not cracks propagating from that impact area. If there's a crack already started it'll have to be addressed. Cracks don't sit still. They walk with load, vibration and thermal cycling. That part will be exposed to all three.

I checked the box and no evidence there either of an impact. I'll check with Nick Micale and see what he thinks. I ordered it with pump set up from him. The damage is below flush now for the most part so I don't think it'd take much to fix it up, but I'd prefer to just have a good front cover to start with. The RTV should be enough to seal it up. We'll see. I would think the cover itself would have more evidence of the impact than it does on the side of the bolt hole that looks like it was pushed in a little.

Boy Nick. Now that's customer servive. I had been tossing the idea around of getting one this spring. Just made up my mind.;)

It was no doubt dropped, but I'm wondering why the fuel pump mounting boss has no threads for the pump/block off plate that will need to be installed unless that's how it's sold and you have to tap it yourself.

I see evidence of threads but it looks like they have beeen drilled or machined almost completely away, unless it's just an optical illusion in the photo???

Did you spill liquid plumber on it and let it eat the threads? I know it clears full blockages, but don't think that's what you want to use on a new cover. o_O :D

Are these new covers or rebuilt???

Matt, I do not know how or where that happened?

Just return it if you like and I will send you another one, sorry.

That is great service but please, no apologies. These things happen all the time. Nick, you have treated me well on everything I've purchased from you. That being said, I am willing to run it if you think it'll be fine with a little tlc. My lack of knowledge is why I started the thread. I'm not sure how crucial this particular area of the mating surface is, but I feel pretty confident that it can be straightened out and we can drill it to get a bolt through if it won't go already. The area between the bolt and the water passage looks good, so a gasket should seal well there yet. I am a little concerned if this bolt does in fact go into the water jacket of the block. It has been mentioned, but do you know for sure if this bolt does or does not go into water? That will probably be a determining factor if it goes back or not.

Thanks for everyone's input and thanks, Nick, for the offer. I may take you up on it, but awaiting more input.

is this something that should be sent back?
YES.

Thanks for everyone's input and thanks, Nick, for the offer. I may take you up on it, but awaiting more input.

I wouldn't fix/repair a new part, and he said he would replace it, there's nothing to think about.

After you install the cover Matt, if you find an issue, I will still replace it with a new one.

Hope you have lots of fun with your new build! :)

Thank you Nick. I'll be in touch as $ permits to get more stuff yet, but I think I can make this cover work. I appreciate the service and you taking a look at the pics.

My builder wanted a new front cover and Nick exchanged it. I wasn't really comfortable with it either, so I don't want this to look like I'm blaming my builder. Nick's a great guy to work with though and I'd send anyone his way for parts or work.

Back