You can type here any text you want

TA Block Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jeff Rand

I noticed yesterday while assembling a friends TA short block that the female threads for the head studs go deep into the block (they are blind and do not go into the water passages). Standard ARP stage 2 head studs do not have enough threads to take advantage of this design. Is there a special ARP head stud made for the TA block? I have not been able to speak to anyone over the weekend that had the answer and this is bugging the hell out of me.
Thanks,
Jeff

I sized the head studs to take advantage of that and ordered them custom. I would also suggest that long style thread inserts be installed in each hole if you're planning on big torque numbers.

I sized the head studs to take advantage of that and ordered them custom. I would also suggest that long style thread inserts be installed in each hole if you're planning on big torque numbers.

Don, aren't thread inserts going to reduce the diameter of the stud, thus reducing it's overall strength?

You drill the holes larger so that you can use thread inserts that are properly sized for your needs.

Reg, what heads are you using? Mine were sized for M&A heads. Different heads may require a different set makeup of studs.

Thanks Nick I thought that might be the case. I will be calling first thing in the morning and getting a set shipped.

REG

me, me, me, me!!! Just answering sarcasm with sarcasm. You guys take me too seriously sometimes.

I noticed yesterday while assembling a friends TA short block that the female threads for the head studs go deep into the block (they are blind and do not go into the water passages). Standard ARP stage 2 head studs do not have enough threads to take advantage of this design. Is there a special ARP head stud made for the TA block? I have not been able to speak to anyone over the weekend that had the answer and this is bugging the hell out of me.
Thanks,
Jeff

STOP.....Do NOT use the standard ARP Stage 2 head studs in the block. You will pull the threads out of the block. There have been stories of people pulling the threads out, I guess this the reason why. I had no problem with my block/studs that I used.

ARP/TA has special studs for the block. They have a "bull nose" at the end of them. I ordered my studs directly from ARP. ARP does not have the correct studs available, some of the threads are extra long and extend past the deck (shorter studs, kinda fuzzy). The studs are from ARP's open stock. In order for ARP to make the correct thread length, they want design drawings or they will not make anything.

Don't make fun of my Mickey Mouse pistons :tongue:

P8240018.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

For those who don't understand the thread insert recommendation. The stress load from the stud threads is spread throughout more area of the aluminum material from the use of the insert. I like the pistons. Nice.

Ya know- I have been struggling with my T/A motor and heads for 3 yrs and refuse to give it up..I bite my tongue before saying anything negative about anyone, however - I see this post and I am not a happy camper. Brings back a lot of frustration. Keep in mind, my motor was the 1st "long block" T/A ever assembled from their shop- their block and heads were used -they picked all the internals, crank etc. I just paid for it all. I requested they build it simply because it was their baby - the product new and I knew there would be issues ( and there were many ). I thought who else would be better prepared and willing to address the issues other than the company who introduced this motor to us. Over the years I had alot of issues. Ex: oil burning, rings never seated, oil was not draining back to the oil pan fast enough etc etc.. I would call T/A and discuss - again thinking -they would want to know and assist for future builds. I regret to say, I was wrong about their WILLINGNESS to help. Ex: when I explained the oil was accumulating up in the valve covers and not in the oil pan - It was suggested I get a deeper oil pan.(?) Or- it was, WHEN YOU GET IT FIGURED OUT LET ME KNOW..I never heard anything like - "hey- let us know of any concerns, we are interested in your findings and would like to help". Maybe because I am just a small fry in the pond - I do not know.
I am sure I sound spitful here- that is not my intention. I am upset and disappointed - not with the motor - but T/A. I realized quickly after my motor arrived that I was on my own with it. Through it all it IS a DAM GOOD piece. I give alot of credit to T/A for taking on such a huge endevor. If I have offended T/A, I hope they can understand I strongly believe in standing by a product - not just selling it. Perhaps they should just take a closer look at how they handle customer relations. For one- they should have at least a representative on this site, taking a few minutes to address these issues, with you- the people who buy their products.
By this time, with the sale of a motor - issues with studs should not even be an issue. Instead, here we are - calling, e-mailing and posting questions on how to address the problem. I don't get it and never will. As a business man - the customer relationship is 1st - take care of them ( large and small )- they put the food on your table.. Larry

Larry,
I really feel for you. I know what they charged you for that engine and for that price poor customer service is not acceptable. I had a similar experience with Champion heads when they first came out. That experience nearly cost me my life when the head cracked at 130 mph and the coolant got under my slicks.
I think for the price of the TA block they could have included ARP head studs like they did on the mains. I guess that different head configurations would require changes in the length of the stud.
Jeff

Ya know- I have been struggling with my T/A motor and heads for 3 yrs and refuse to give it up................
I am sure I sound spitful here- that is not my intention. I am upset and disappointed - not with the motor - but T/A. I realized quickly after my motor arrived that I was on my own with it. Through it all it IS a DAM GOOD piece. I give alot of credit to T/A for taking on such a huge endevor. If I have offended T/A, I hope they can understand I strongly believe in standing by a product - not just selling it. Perhaps they should just take a closer look at how they handle customer relations. For one- they should have at least a representative on this site, taking a few minutes to address these issues, with you- the people who buy their products.
.............. Larry

Larry, I understand your frustration, and agree it should not have happened that way.:o

At the time your engine was being built at TA, Mike Zimmerman and I were putting together the pro-type off-center block. This is the one still in my car. The block has over 300 runs at this point, with the majority in the 9's.

We have had many "growing pains" with the block, but actually all of them minor with the oil drain back problem being one of them. We have done a few things to solve this problem as I discussed with you on the phone.

TA does have a rep on this site - your's truely!:D I am not only a distributor for TA, but I do lots of consulting, pro-type development and field testing for the V-6 products.

I am very sorry for your issues you have been having with the engine. We have lots of experience building many TA blocks as well as other makes of alum engines. Unless a shop has experience in prepping and machining alum blocks and the proper equipment, it is very difficult to turn out a quality product.

We learned our lessons on the TA block by building and racing our first one, and sorry this info did not get back to TA in time for your build. All of our customers have had great results with our builds.

I have talked with the person [who I know!] now freshening your engine and am sure it will perform as you rightly expect, thanks for your feedback.:)

Larry, I understand your frustration, and agree it should not have happened that way.:o

At the time your engine was being built at TA, Mike Zimmerman and I were putting together the pro-type off-center block. This is the one still in my car. The block has over 300 runs at this point, with the majority in the 9's.

We have had many "growing pains" with the block, but actually all of them minor with the oil drain back problem being one of them. We have done a few things to solve this problem as I discussed with you on the phone.

TA does have a rep on this site - your's truely!:D I am not only a distributor for TA, but I do lots of consulting, pro-type development and field testing for the V-6 products.

I am very sorry for your issues you have been having with the engine. We have lots of experience building many TA blocks as well as other makes of alum engines. Unless a shop has experience in prepping and machining alum blocks and the proper equipment, it is very difficult to turn out a quality product.

We learned our lessons on the TA block by building and racing our first one, and sorry this info did not get back to TA in time for your build. All of our customers have had great results with our builds.

I have talked with the person [who I know!] now freshening your engine and am sure it will perform as you rightly expect, thanks for your feedback.:)
Nick,
TA needs to modify their instruction sheet to alert engine builders that standard stage 2 studs are not recommended. My sheet just states that studs are recommended.
Jeff

Back