TA timing chain

DCVING 6

I am using one of TA Perf's billet timing sets on a stock longblock. Just want to make sure it is normal for the chain to be tight to the point that it was difficult to get the cam sprocket with the chain on, up on the cam. This is the set that uses a tensioner still, as of right now it doesn't look like the tensioner will really do anything as the chain is tight.

I wonder if they sent you a chain and gear set for a block that has been align bored--approx. .005 shorter?

Jay J

Never used a TA chain set, but others I have used were damn tight. Of course, after a few hundred miles they loosened... Are you positive this one requires a tensioner?

yeah it is their stock style set

I kinda figured it was normal, I would think you wouldn't want the tensioner to have to take up too much slack. This is the first time I've ever had to do this.

Nick, are they for use with a tensioner? ...

Yes, this chain does use a tensioner.

The function of a tensioner is not only to keep slack out of the chain, but also the keep the chain from "whipping" when letting off the throttle.

Nick is there a possibility of a loose TA chain with a no tensioner rub the inside of the cover at times.

I know mine was very tight to go on. Not that it would go on, just a very precise fit. Seems to be holding up well.

Nick, When would the chain ever not be under load? I remember thinking that the chain would whip under decel, but then thinking about this I determined that the chain is always under load except maybe on this short little V6 cam might have a slight slack spot between lobes at idle? The cam would have to be spinning with enough inertia that it would try and spin the crank faster. with all that spring pressure trying to prevent the cam from turning, I don't see how it could ever whip a chain. Or am I missing something. I have gone through this very topic in my head many times and come up with the same conclusion. But then it may have been clouded with Vodka.;)

You haven't missed anything. Even on a throttle chop, the camshaft is still loaded in the same direction as it is when accelerating. Just because the load drops doesn't mean it flips to the other direction.

Since it has 12 lobes instead of 16 it will have a little more 'cogging' from the spots between lobes so it'll be a little more clunky.

Had the priviledge of changing my broken TA chain today, went out on the drive to the track this morning. From looking at the pieces it's hard to say which was the chicken and which was the egg, but I'm leaning towards the tensioner taking the chain out. Gears looked good, just put a new chain in and a better style tensioner. Season points finals tomorrow, back out I go.....

Had the priviledge of changing my broken TA chain today, went out on the drive to the track this morning. From looking at the pieces it's hard to say which was the chicken and which was the egg, but I'm leaning towards the tensioner taking the chain out. Gears looked good, just put a new chain in and a better style tensioner. Season points finals tomorrow, back out I go.....

What style tensioner? I went with my stock one as the guy at TA said the stock one would work so I didn't need theirs.

What style tensioner? I went with my stock one as the guy at TA said the stock one would work so I didn't need theirs.

I had the stock tensioner in there when it failed. I'd recommend using something like I believe CharlieF1 put pictures up of in another thread a little while back.