ta49 and te44

timdesu2000

Can someone help me understand the differences in the Ta49 and Te44? I know the TA series will look like stock and has a removeable inlet bell. Other than that is there a performance difference like spool up or different turbo maps that would make one a better choice at a certain boost level? One last question. Can you get a ta49 with a ball bearing?
Im running a stock turbo and pushing 21 to 22 pounds boost on alky. I know that its getting outside of its efficiency range. Thinking to upgrade and want to keep the stock convertor and not loose spool up time. If there is another turbo that would do this and bolt up to all the stock lines and mounts please let me know so I can research it as well.
Thanks,
Tim

The 44/49 are the same except for the differences you noted. They also support the same power. The 49 has been 10.80s on an unopened engine. There are ball bearing versions out there but are a total waste of $. If you want to have a quick spooling combo that is utilizing the turbo at or near it's potential it will be running in a less than optimal spot on the map. It's a lot cheaper and better for performance to replace the converter. Leave the stock turbo on usss you are going to switch converters.

The 44/49 are the same except for the differences you noted. They also support the same power. The 49 has been 10.80s on an unopened engine. There are ball bearing versions out there but are a total waste of $.

whoa whoa whoa....are you saying that saving that extra money for a ball bearing version of a turbo is useless and should instead be spent on a good converter for your setup?

How dare you sir. How dare you!

With ported heads would a te44 with precision exh housing be better than a 44 with the Garret exh housing?

With ported heads would a te44 with precision exh housing be better than a 44 with the Garret exh housing?

From my understanding the precision .63 housings are more like a .70+ AR. This is why when you buy a new turbo and want a Garrett turbine housing, you need to send in your own core.

So for spool up, I would imagine a smaller housing would be better, however the realistic chances of you noticing that if you were to get a good converter/tune? Not sure. I think the housings really don't make much difference at boost levels the *average* person (sub 25 psi) runs. Then again, I'm not expert. Gimme a few weeks and I'll tell ya if there's a difference :)

If you have ported heads you would normaly be looking to make 550+hp. You would need to run a really tall tire or pull rear gear to get a 44 to work ok. The 44 starts to hit a lot of backpressure over 450hp

Get an mbc and throw some more tuning with that stock turbo. I'd just run that stocker until it needs rebuilt. It kicks ass on the street.

good advise from above.the 49/44 really starts to wake up with a good converter.i don't think you should go bigger on the turbo unless the converter is changed,i like the stocker with good boost and timing running alky and stall.the garret .63 had the the best et on my old 49 combo.

ive ran 30 psi on the stocker with alky just to see;)but you are not done at 20-21.the stock turbo with alky ran real good at 25psi,switched over to a ta49 with a .63 garret and the car pulled even harder,but the combo had a 10.5 inch converter.

Ok guys. I wanted to jump in here and get an opinion or two here since I'm also running a TE-44. I'd also like more power. As you can see from my current set up, I have my TE-44 running about 25 lbs of boost with alky. I was told that my stall is about 2600. I was considering a new v bb turbo but I like the idea of saving the cash and just upgrading my converter. I'd like to get into the high 10's as a street car.

Just to keep this thread alive, I'm thinking about a high quality 2800 L/U to spool up my TA49, I'm running it on the D5 and it hasn't really lived up to my expectations. I figure a 2800 gives you some room to grow down the road, for example if I was to get into a new 6262 from our good friends at Precision!!

it usually won't.though some guys will overcome the lag at the track,on the street is when you know how responsive the combo is.my previous 49 combo ran low 11's exactly how it was run on the street,3200 stall 10.5 protorque lockup.

it usually won't.though some guys will overcome the lag at the track,on the street is when you know how responsive the combo is.my previous 49 combo ran low 11's exactly how it was run on the street,3200 stall 10.5 protorque lockup.

I only have street aspirations for this car, I have a noticeable lag from 0-10lbs boost, once it spools up then it's great but I'm really lacking the bottom end. I'm trying to keep things simple and check for vac leaks, pulling some fuel out of 1st gear, etc... but I'm not having much luck...

I only have street aspirations for this car, I have a noticeable lag from 0-10lbs boost, once it spools up then it's great but I'm really lacking the bottom end. I'm trying to keep things simple and check for vac leaks, pulling some fuel out of 1st gear, etc... but I'm not having much luck...
A Garrett .63 ex housing will help spool a lot.

My ta49 with garrett housing spools very well with my combo. I didnt want to change converters but am considering it along with what other mods for a real "madman" street car

Just to keep this thread alive, I'm thinking about a high quality 2800 L/U to spool up my TA49, I'm running it on the D5 and it hasn't really lived up to my expectations. I figure a 2800 gives you some room to grow down the road, for example if I was to get into a new 6262 from our good friends at Precision!!

x2...I have a 2800 l/u vig and it REALLY made the 44 hum on the street and at the track. I got the 1.65 60' below on 0 boost off the foot brake. I just get it spinning and launch and floor it. The converter takes care of the rest. I too have dreams of a CEA 62/62 but I don't want to mess up my now perfect combo.