You can type here any text you want

TDC?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wb's87

willrock
Just double checking. This is the position that the crank was in when I removed the cam sensor. No. 1 piston is at the top of the stroke with both valves closed. Is this TDC #1?

Oops. I guess the picture might help.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1400478274.721980.jpg

Just double checking. This is the position that the crank was in when I removed the cam sensor. No. 1 piston is at the top of the stroke with both valves closed. Is this TDC #1?

Not necessarily true?

The piston is at the top twice during 2 revolutions in a 4 stroke engine, and both times the intake and exhaust valve is closed.

When at TDC, the piston is up it is on the compression stroke, NOT the exhaust stroke, so you have a 50-50 chance it is at TDC when the pointer is at 0 unless you re-install the cam sensor and the interruptor wheel at the EXACT position as when it was removed! :)

This is valid if the engine has not been rotated since when the cam sensor was removed.

Last edited:
I just leave the spark plug on #1 in about 1 thread so the air can escape past it. Then I know what stroke I'm on. Once I hear the hiss i go to 25 atdc and set the cam sensor

Not necessarily true?

The piston is at the top twice during 2 revolutions in a 4 stroke engine, and both times the intake and exhaust valve is closed.

When at TDC, the piston is up it is on the compression stroke, NOT the exhaust stroke, so you have a 50-50 chance it is at TDC when the pointer is at 0 unless you re-install the cam sensor and the interruptor wheel at the EXACT position as when it was removed! :)

This is valid if the engine has not been rotated since when the cam sensor was removed.

Both valves won't be closed on the exhaust stroke.

Brian AKA: Bison is right, find TDC on the compression stroke by the method he stated and go 25 degrees after TDC which is approx. 1.5" and set the cam sensor there.

Neal

Both valves won't be closed on the exhaust stroke.

Neal
Both valves shouldn't and better not be closed on the ex stroke but it's possible to have the cam in wrong by having it installed excessively advanced. I know some people have done this in the past. Pumping loses at the top of the ex stroke and huge hp fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back