TE-63-1 vs. TE-45a

K

KwikerSilver

Does anyone have pics of these? I am debating which one to buy. Can someone tell me the differance, like intake size, shaft size, cfm flow, will the heat shield fit? Stuff like that. Thanks

Nicholas

The TE63E looks like a TE34,44,60,etc. When you add a -1 you get the big housing like the PT70, PT72, etc

What is your ET goal?

I don't really have a goal, i am just going to run 16lbs or so on it and it will be as fast as it is. I am guessing i will run mid to high 11's I was just wondering if i should get the 45a or the 63-1. Which one is bigger i guess.

Originally posted by KwikerSilver
I don't really have a goal, i am just going to run 16lbs or so on it and it will be as fast as it is. I am guessing i will run mid to high 11's I was just wondering if i should get the 45a or the 63-1. Which one is bigger i guess.

Dont want to ruin your day but your living in a dream world unless you have some monster $$$$ motor no way in hell are you going to see 11s on 16psi.

Your wasting your time with a big Turbo if your going to run 16psi. You're better off sticking with the stock turbo, its in its sweet spot at 16psi. The bigger the turbo, usually the more boost you need to feel any benifet.

I know running 17psi with my stock turbo vs my PT51 the stock turbo felt faster.

Do I dare ask why you only want to run 16psi?

So is the 45a bigger than the 63-1 or what, i am confused. I thought the 63-1 was bigger. About me running 16psi, i have heard that with the 45a you run mid to high 11's with 19 psi. So i will run 16 and at least run low 12s. That is why i am asking the question, which is bigger, the 45a or the 63-1. I want the bigger one. Do you know the answer, i have recieved two contradicting answers so far. Thanks

Nicholas

the original '45's had a smaller (slightly) compressor...the latest 45A's are 66mm, and slightly larger than the 63mm wheel in a 63

as to which one is "better".........I would say buy the one you can get the best deal on! There isn't enough difference in performance to matter....

I still don't understand why you are going to limit yourself to 16 psi:confused: As long as you have good gas and have no or little detonation you should be running at least 20 - 24lbs of boost with a 45a or 63-1. Those turbos aren't even getting close to there full potential until about 26 psi, so unless you like having a big turbo with lag I would suggest you get a smaller turbo like a TA-49 or TE-44 if your goals are only low 12's to high 11's. It makes no sense to run low 12's to high 11's with a 63-1 or 45a cause those are solid 10 second turbos that need ported heads, big fuel injectors, big stall converters and for a low 12 to high 11 second car you don't need all that stuff. Hell, there are guys on this BB running low 12's with the stock turbo, injectors, IC, and D5 converter so why would you want to spend all that $$$ to run low 12's :confused: :confused:

Because i don't want to break anything. There is less chance of breaking a tranny with less power, and less chance of breaking a motor with less boost. Aiite.

Nicholas

Cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure...if you wanta go 11's, you are going to have to develop the required amount...it takes x amount to go a certain speed...I think you have missed something in your calculations... :)

If you make the power to go 11's, you have not reduced the punishment to the drive train...

then I would suggest you forget about racing........the cylinder pressures with a big turbo, heads & a cam are much greater than a stock setup...it takes "X" amount of HP to go a certain speed......you can run a 12 sec et with the stock setup at 20 lbs boost or a 12 sec et at 15 lbs with mods.....same stress on drivetrain components!

makes no sense to build it and not use it.....

well, the block starts to experiance flex at 20lbs, which cracks stock caps, and i bet it will knock at less boost than that which can blow a head gasket, that is what i am worried about, i don't want to blow the back off of another motor. Last time i was running 23 lbs, i had no knock, but i blew the backhalf of the block off, and chucked the crank and the tranny bellhousing was in 34 peices. This was all because the block was flexing and it cracked a cap. You will make more power on a 45a at 16lbs than you will with a stocker with 16lbs, if you don't think so you are stupid. If my 51 feels like it makes less power than my stocker, i wouldn't be worried why some guy wants to buy a 45a and run 16lbs of boost.

Nicholas

Originally posted by jetmech
Those are 1000.00 turbos you can get the same results w/ a ta49 or te44 for 650.00

I can make the same ammount of power with less boost with a bigger turbo. If i wanted to run 11's and i had a 49 i would have to boost the crap out of it, or i can stay under 20 with a 45a and pull your 49.

I'll try to keep it simple......16 lbs with a built motor and big turbo will make as much power as 20 lbs with a stocker.......exact same stress on the block, crank, pistons, cam, rear end etc

just because you run lower boost with a big turbo doesn't mean you won't tear things up

if you don't understand this, you are in for a surprise!

Just trying to help....not trying to be "stupid"

I agree you are missing the point. Pressure is pressure no matter what size turbo is making it. A 45v will have to do less work than a 51, but to make the same power the same cyl pressur will be present.

23# is kinda poohboy boost anyway, if the block broke the way you describe, you had major probs.

I've run a minimum of 27# on 110 with a te61 for over 5 years with not so much as a HG to fail.

It's hard to be too smart for one and not smart enough for two, and get smart with some of the more intelligent guys on the board.

AZGN and Steve are pretty sharp guy who don't usually talk out of school...I would suggest you do the same if you want to receive any help.

Originally posted by KwikerSilver
You will make more power on a 45a at 16lbs than you will with a stocker with 16lbs, if you don't think so you are stupid. If my 51 feels like it makes less power than my stocker, i wouldn't be worried why some guy wants to buy a 45a and run 16lbs of boost.

Nicholas

Im stupid and you wanna run a max of 16psi with a TE45a? :confused:

I love this place... Another 12 second sled with 10 second parts!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kwikersilver, think about what these guys are saying to you, the only thing you will gain other than alot of lag is a cooler charge air temp at the price of increased lag. Whether you use a big turbo with less boost or a small turbo with alot of boost, the crank,the caps, all of the stressed engine componets react the SAME.

Now if you have a "Power Plate" well then that changes everything, handling will improve, seat of the pants thrill is Improved and you won't run over your crank... :D