You can type here any text you want

TE45 or TE 63-1

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V8killR4U

If I want to go mid 10's or better between the two or three turbos which one would you guys go with and why. I still want a streetable turbo that i can see 10's with all day! I just plan on adding heads and a cam. and bigger inj, to run 10's all day that meaning mid to high. Which one?

I loved that turbo.

always moved ton's of air, pulls hard at the top around 25lbs

I'm running a TE64-1 which I belive is similar to the TE45a and have had good results.I'd probrobly go with the TE45a if I were buying from scratch right now.If/when I upgrade I'm probrobly going to something like a 70GTQ(havent decided yet as it's still a little ways off).

Steve

a TE-45A (or similar) is not street friendly because it requires a converter stall of at least 3600 and that combined with street legal tires makes for a dangerous mix

also you will need a heavy duty wastegate which will require your boost to be set north of 18 lbs at all times......

in other words, a 10 sec daily driver is a pipedream.....a 10 sec car is a race car and has a bunch of compromises not street friendly......my car is a "street car" with all accessories including a/c and licensed in AZ...would I want to drive it on a daily basis?

no way!

to the track once a week is enough for me......

I am certain there will be 127 folks that will chime in and say I am full of it....but just my experience

how many 10 sec TR's are there out there?....maybe 10% of the TR's still in existence????

I will be soon....after rebuild is done. 100% daily driver; with AC, power everything, DIGITAL climate controll, sunroof, and Eclipse sound system.:D :D :D Im still young so I can afford to spend ALL my money on my car.;)

I just got a TE-45a a month ago and I love it. My car is daily driven at least 70 miles a day. I keep boost set at 18#'s with ATR's heavy duty wg. azgn is right though, its not the best daily I could have but its fun on the street:)

i'll be there soon enough...definitely do NOT run regular radials on the street! drag radials minimum...just because you have a huge turbo, stall converter, injectors doesn't mean you are sacrificing driveability...some guys with 83 lb injectors say they idle like stock...it's all about the chip and TUNING...but traction is the main key of course

Ahhh stop cryin,,try drivingn a TE63 with a 4200 stall,,,Weeeeeeeeee

if any body thinks drag radials will hold TE-45A and 18+ lbs of boost....you are mistaken (ASSuming a 10 sec combo)

talk is cheep............

:D

and it is a lot of fun to run around with $8 per gallon gas..........

Like Woody said, its easy to say, but not to do. I'm still working on it. You can't just throw the parts on it and run the number. If that were the case, I'd have run 10's 2 years ago. I had the mph for it, but no 60'.

As far as the turbo, I am going to have to disagree with azgn here. I have a 45A on the car right now. Boost can be set at 15 lbs at the lowest, with my hd actuator. I did have to relocate the actuator for better alignment, before 18 or 19 psi was the lowest. On my car right now, I have a 3200 single disk lockup vigilante, and it spools like mad. I dyno'd it and it even suprised the operator! It is a little violent for street use. Rolling into the throttle on anything but slicks nets tire spin. It goes from 0 psi to 15 very fast, resulting in loss of traction.

I noticed you are in the 12's still. I don't think you can just "skip" the 11's. Might I suggest modding slowly and learning to ring the most out of what you have? If your 60' is that bad now, I'd hate to think what it would be with more power! I'm fighting the same problem, and hopefully its better now. HTH

Originally posted by azgn
if any body thinks drag radials will hold TE-45A and 18+ lbs of boost....you are mistaken (ASSuming a 10 sec combo)

talk is cheep............

:D

and it is a lot of fun to run around with $8 per gallon gas..........
I Agree!!! I have a set of drag radials and i can't hook at all. I went out in street trim last year at the track because we have a street tire night. I was on pump gas with 18 psi boost and my 60ft times were 2.2. Plus all it wants to do is spin on the street. Its not that fun!!! I drive mine on the weekends when it nice and to the track and thats about it.

Tires

Just thought I would let you in on my experiences with a tire for a good amount of Boost and horsepower. I used a 29" X 12" on 3.5 back spacing welds. It worked great, left with 25 lbs. boost, at 5000 Rpm, had no spin at all. 8.5 lbs air pressure. 1.40 sixty foot. Remember bigger is better. I had to roll the wheel well molding up is all to get it under car. Good Luck! Just one persons opinion.

uuummmm, moreboost.......

what kind of tire?

what kind of car?

my guess is, this isn't relevant to the topic at hand

unless you have an 8 sec car, you ain't runnin' 1.4's on drag radials

a TE-45A (or similar) is not street friendly because it requires a converter stall of at least 3600 and that combined with street legal tires makes for a dangerous mix

also you will need a heavy duty wastegate which will require your boost to be set north of 18 lbs at all times......

in other words, a 10 sec daily driver is a pipedream.....a 10 sec car is a race car and has a bunch of compromises not street friendly......my car is a "street car" with all accessories including a/c and licensed in AZ...would I want to drive it on a daily basis?

no way!

to the track once a week is enough for me......

I am certain there will be 127 folks that will chime in and say I am full of it....but just my experience

The Tulsa Boys use the 45 Turbo's with a 3200 stall T/C and that works great , 10.6 ET'S AT 126 TO 130 MPH AND 1.4 60fts at the track but NOTE: we are using smaller cams, 206/206 so the tighter T/C works great and is very steetable ,cant even tell the T/C is loose at all!!These cars are very street friendly can be driven anywhere .
There are no exotic parts on these cars ,IE alumn heads, or any weight reduction , nothing has been removed to save weight .
I am sure everyone has there own definition of a street car
but a 10 Second T type that can load up 4 men and drive 1300 miles to BG and back is a real street car IMO.(yes we did it )

I myself am shooting for a "9 sec DRIVER" 10.1 so far ,getting closer
:D here are some pic's of my 100% strret car

http://okbuicks.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=88

http://okbuicks.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=89\

http://okbuicks.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=90

gosh, I don't see a roll bar in that car...could that be?

may be a street car, but not legal for the track?

gosh, I don't see a roll bar in that car...could that be?

may be a street car, but not legal for the track?

Well its a STREET CAR for sure ,and I have never been arrested @ the track so it must not be illegal .

10 second street car

A guy down here named Freddie (TurboT231) has what I would call a 10 second street car that he tows a boat with:eek:

His combo:

TA63 turbo
TH 3" DP
55lb injectors
double pumper
Red's chips
self ported iron heads/intake
206/206 cam
12" 2800 stall converter
V4 intercooler

**a little bit of juice to spool the turbo out of the hole**:D

At last years Bradenton event he ran a 10.63 @121mph w/ a 1.6 60' (on this pass he popped a head gasket) but in the 1/8th the car went 105mph which tells me if he didn't pop a head gasket he might have ran a 10.40 @130mph (he had gone 10.99 @126mph on an earlier pass)..... Oh yeah did I mention he got a nice plaque for winning the 10 second class:)

Now he has a 70 P-trim turbo, a 204/214 cam, and Mr. Weber O-ringed his heads (he's looking for low 10's):cool:

Back