Ted's XFI Experience

John, its a shame that does not screw onto the stock location. i dont have a remote.

really... hmmm, that surprises me. Some of the big block buick guys run the System1 filter in the stock location, that's how I found out about it - a BBB buddy of mine got one and encouraged me to try one as well. With a Biggie filter adapter from RJC I would have thought the same filter the BBB guys use could be used in the stock location on a TR too (since I thought the Biggie adapter allows one to use a filter that is normally specified for the BBB). But maybe not, I can also see how there might be clearance issues.

norbs, just to play devils advocate, could it be that your issue is the other way around? Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the filtration leading to thrust bearing wear, maybe the bearing wear is happening for some other reason and you are just seeing the results getting trapped in the filter?

My BBB friend says that one of the downsides to the System1 is that there is always something scary in his filter every time he takes it apart to clean it, whereas with paper filters he rarely bothered to look and never really noticed anything when he did. Which gives nervous people (like myself) a lot of heartburn. I just got my engine running a few weeks ago and haven't taken mine apart yet to see what's there, but he guarantees I'll need a couple of valium to calm down after I do! When Hot Rod did a test on the Pure Power (a link is on the Pure Power website) they noticed the same thing.

John

John, so you "heard" it would fit a rjc adapter? I have the adapter here but dont have a filter to try it out. it would be great if it does.

Jiohn, I jsut got off the phone with system1. they have a filter that crosses with a fram PH11/25. there's is 6in long, 13/16 thread and is $156.95. I got the filter models off RJC's website becuase system1 did not have a hp5 in there book. does the 13/16 thread sound right?

thanks

I wouldn't say I "heard" anything... just some assumptions on my part. I do know that some BBB guys run these filters. And I *think* that the RJC Biggie filter adapter allows the use of a BBB filter. Therefore, I assume that you can get the same System1 or Pure Power filter as the BBB guys and use the Biggie adapter to get it installed.

The System1 filter I got is bigger than the ones the BBB guys run, since they don't have as much room (unless they are running a remote filter setup). Here's some info from them:

Pure power reusable oil filters bad a-- - V8Buick.com

"Jegs part # 888-312361BP, Short reusable filter, 888-512561BP, Tall reusable filter. I use the short one on my 455, the 350 has enough room for the tall filter. Both filters fit all GM V-8's, they have replaceable thread inserts to fit alot of different makes of cars."

"The current Jegs catalog has them, part #'s 888-312361BP-119.99 (short filter), and 888-512561BP-134.99 (long filter) I use the short filter(3 7/8"), it is about the size of the stock filter-PF-24. The long one(5 7/8") might fit, but I think on my GS, it would hit the lower radiator hose."

You can do more searching on v8buick.com. Seems like a PF-24 is what they were talking about using in AC Delco filters, which is one of the filters listed on the RJC site to go with the Biggie adapter.

BTW, I paid ~$120 for my long one a little over a year ago. $156 seems kinda steep, check Jegs and Summit.

Hope that helps

John

I'd agree and say this filter is defective and Fram should fix the motor rather than place blame on the owner. But, after looking at other filters I still think Ken had the proper filter on the motor. I have recently read some good things about the K&N so I may order one to look at. The K&N's down at the parts stores look like the cheap AC and Fram.

Very well said and I agree 100% that FRAM should help out Ken any way possible through all of his troubles and not place the blame on the owner.

I'd agree and say this filter is defective and Fram should fix the motor rather than place blame on the owner.

I can't believe what I just read! You expect Fram to replace a motor due to a defective part yet it's OK for Cal & FAST to do nothing when they blew Teds motor.:rolleyes:

What's next Dusty? Ken should have lifted because he had an oil pressure guage.:rolleyes:

I can't believe what I just read! You expect Fram to replace a motor due to a defective part yet it's OK for Cal & FAST to do nothing when they blew Teds motor.:rolleyes:

What's next Dusty? Ken should have lifted because he had an oil pressure guage.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your valuable input Dave.

Just so you understand how an oil filter works.....The car will still have oil pressure but you will have no filtration. Now I understand why you let everybody else do your work for you;)

Thanks for your valuable input Dave.

Just so you understand how an oil filter works.....The car will still have oil pressure but you will have no filtration. Now I understand why you let everybody else do your work for you;)

Please answer the original question What makes Ken's situation any different than Ted's?:confused:

You should have someone else do your work and driving since Dusty can't seem to keep your car off the wall. ;)

P.S. keep asking those stupid questions on Yellow Bullet about your POS wastegate I really get a kick out of them.:D

I have asked people to play nice, if this continues people will be getting a late summer vacation.

Please answer the original question What makes Ken's situation any different than Ted's?:confused:

You should have someone else do your work and driving since Dusty can't seem to keep your car off the wall. ;)

P.S. keep asking those stupid questions on Yellow Bullet about your POS wastegate I really get a kick out of them.:D

Not like your ignorance deserves a reply, but I'll reply to fill in those watching.

Different sides of my mouth?? Not hardly, your just to ignorant to understand anything. You try and flip anything you can to make it fit your argument.

If Ken had made a pass with a knocking motor then we could compare it to Ted. You think you would know a rod knock if you heard it? I'm thinking you wouldn't.

As far as my driving. I could have blamed the incident at Reynolds on TRZ's design like you would have done. Instead, I publicly addressed the issue and warned others not to make the same mistake. Something we never hear from the great Bamford who doesn't make mistakes.

I can see how you think my question regarding the Newgen gate over on yellowbullet is stupid. You don't know how an oil filter works....how could you possibly understand how a wastegate system works:biggrin:

They should go ahead and ban you from all websites. You offer nothing. Stay off the computer and go back to doing what you do best...cashing dad's check's.

If Ken had made a pass with a knocking motor then we could compare it to Ted. You think you would know a rod knock if you heard it? I'm thinking you wouldn't.

Dusty, for the record, the motor did not knock, two rods busted from pre-ignition from a faulty ECU or a faulty FLASH. Either way, between Cal or FAST I got nothing but a questionable box repaired and nothing for my trouble. You bust my balls how I shouldn't get anything, then come here and say FRAM should pick up the bill. Seems the only difference here is Cal didn't spin on the filter and Cal doesn't sell FRAM, but I might be wrong.

Ken, hopefully you get straight answers from FRAM on your situation and don't get fed a bunch of B.S. lies and fingers pointed your way like I did. I hate to see anybody treated this way.

Looks like you have changed your tune too, Dave. When all this went down with Ted's car you were telling me what an idiot he was for not lifting and you said it wasn't my fault. Now it appears you and Ted are blaming me for his mishap.

Back when you used to race, I was always willing to help you and this is the thanks I get :rolleyes: Time to take me out of your signature

That sucks,My engine builder has always told me to stick to WIX racing filter.

Ive never had a problem with a Filter,Vacuum lines on the other hand....:rolleyes:

Looks like you have changed your tune too, Dave. When all this went down with Ted's car you were telling me what an idiot he was for not lifting and you said it wasn't my fault. Now it appears you and Ted are blaming me for his mishap.

Back when you used to race, I was always willing to help you and this is the thanks I get :rolleyes: Time to take me out of your signature

I believe he should update his sig also as he is not the MPH record holder anymore.

Cal, I lifted the head at Columbus because I ran too much boost. Will you buy me some new gaskets? I know it's a race car but I figure you should replace anything I break... :D

I am being sarcastic, If you didn't know.. It's racing, things break. When they do, you just have to accept it and move on and chaulk it up as a learning experience. Just like the Fram stuff, I wouldn't put a Fram filter on my lawnmower.. Just something I learned from past mistakes.

I have a Fram filter on my remote tranny lines/cooler and after seeing this I am wondering if I should be concerned.

Good thing this has been bought to light cause now you guys got me thinking should I remove it.

What would you guys do??

Dusty, for the record, the motor did not knock, two rods busted from pre-ignition from a faulty ECU or a faulty FLASH. Either way, between Cal or FAST I got nothing but a questionable box repaired and nothing for my trouble. You bust my balls how I shouldn't get anything, then come here and say FRAM should pick up the bill. Seems the only difference here is Cal didn't spin on the filter and Cal doesn't sell FRAM, but I might be wrong.

Ken, hopefully you get straight answers from FRAM on your situation and don't get fed a bunch of B.S. lies and fingers pointed your way like I did. I hate to see anybody treated this way.

Ted, I'm not busting anyone's balls and I guess we all need to draw stick people when dealing with you and Dave so you understand exactly what is being said.

The difference here....warning signs. Ken had no warning that his filter had failed until his motor locked up. You on the other hand chose to make a pass while ignoring several signs that something was not right. Understand the difference???? Had Ken heard a rod knock and ignored the issue and made a pass anyway, it would be his fault. I hope that's plain enough.