You can type here any text you want

TH400 Tranny/Flexplate Shield in TR

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JoyOf6

I installed a CSI Supershield for a TH400 in my GN last week. This is an SFI-approved tranny shield/flexplate shield in one fiberglass piece. If you don't follow this stuff, a flexplate shield is NHRA-required at 9.99/135 for most of our Regals. One problem is that I have never seen a traditional flexplate shield fit without working the firewall/front tunnel area in a stock-bodied Regal. A JW Ultrabell is an alternative, but I wanted to give the Supershield a try.

It installs with new, longer bolts through the shield and into the upper four bellhousing bolt holes. Despite its sleek design, the Supershield still makes access to (and tightening of) a couple of the bolts a real challenge. I was just happy and a little surprised that the thing actually did fit. The downside is that it adds to the engine or tranny R&R time at least until I either come up with a couple of "perfect" tools for those shrouded bolts, or strategically "clearance" in a couple of places.

Art

The ultrabell would allow you to kill 2 birds with one stone. First it acts as a safety shield. Second it replaces the stock bellhousing portion of the trans that has a tendancy to crack under heavy loading. So everyone save all those 400 cases with cracked bellhousings.

Originally posted by DonWG
The ultrabell would allow you to kill 2 birds with one stone. First it acts as a safety shield. Second it replaces the stock bellhousing portion of the trans...

I agree, an Ultrabell has attractive benefits. But there is a "third bird to kill" and that is the tranny shield requirement, which the Ultrabell does not fulfill. I have found conventional tranny shields more difficult to fit in my car than the Supershield, and to also interfere with the routing of my tranny cooler lines (non-stock-routed braided lines). Maybe an Ultracase (~$625) is available for the TH400, which would really nicely kill the two birds I'm interested in (both shields-in-one). I happened to have had a Supershield on the shelf for a year and was determined to use it. It is very light, so there's another bird biting the dust. ;) Whatever the solution, it's nice to know that there are viable options for stock-firewalled 9.99/quicker TRs to pass tech.

Art

Art,

I guess I'm ignorant...I didn't know there was a separate trans shield requirement that something like the Ultrabell wouldn't fulfill. Can you clue me in? I am preparing to do a 400 in my T-type, and this is just the sort of info I want to hear, thanks!

One drawback I've heard from at least one trans builder is that the Ultrabells don't center precisely enough on the pump bolt holes and you end up with input shaft runout problems. Anybody care to comment on this?

I haven't seen an ultrabell yet and was wondering how they're adjusting for that .005" total runout requirement. That's a question that's been going on in my mind too. I quess I'll have to wait until I get the chance to see one first hand and get to fit it to a trans. There's got to be more to it than simply bolting it on. What I meant previously was that I think the ultra bell would satisfy the flexplate shield requirement (not absolutely sure if it is certified to do that), not the trans shield. On my car I'm using a flexplate shield from TCI and a trans blanket from Stroud. The blanket is much easier to deal with.

Originally posted by KendallF
Art,

I guess I'm ignorant...I didn't know there was a separate trans shield requirement that something like the Ultrabell wouldn't fulfill. Can you clue me in? I am preparing to do a 400 in my T-type, and this is just the sort of info I want to hear, thanks!

Kendall,

The Ultrabell meets SFI requirements that would normally be dealt with via a flexplate shield. It does not affect the requirement for a traditional tranny shield that covers the body of the tranny (i.e., reward of the pump) because it simply does not physically protect you from an explosion in that portion of the tranny. That's why I referred to the Ultracase, which does meet all SFI specs. Look at the JW website to see the pictures and descriptions of these pieces and you'll see what I mean. If I were starting from scratch, I'd look into the Ultracase.

Art

Originally posted by DonWG
An Ultra case is available for the THM400?

Not that I know of. Just for Powerglide. In my last post, I said I'd look into it if I were starting from scratch. In my post previous to that, I stated "Maybe an Ultracase (~$625) is available for the TH400." I doubt there is, and I should have avoided this reference altogether.

I'd be interested to hear what others are running (stock firewall/tunnel). This is something that seems to get almost completely ignored in SFI threads about rules-compliance issues.

Over and out.

Art

Every single ultrabell I have seen has wiped out the pump. You cannot indicate off the pump bolts alone which is what the Ultrabell does. I mean every single one I have seen. And the trans sheild is different from the flywheel shield. The ultracase does qualify I think. They do not make one for the 400 either (Ultracase.)
I am a dealer for them too. Their flexplates are awesome!!!
The Wheel!

Back