TH400 vs 200R4

rowekmr

I am new to these cars but am looking to get one for a weekend driver, I like the sleeper look of this body style. I found one online in my price range but is has a built TCI TH400 instead of the 200R4. Besides not having OD and a lock up convertor is there anything else negative about this trans? What are the benefits of this trans in this application? If it is better to have the 200R4 how difficult is it to put one back in that is built (200R4)? Thanks in advance.

Car Specs:

87 T-Type Limited. SpoolFool's New rear fiberglass fillers. Rebuilt 3.8 engine with 1500 miles on it. And 2500 miles on a brand new TCI 400BOP trans with a 9inch 3800 stall TCI convertor with baloon plate, Manual valve body, large trans cooler up front. 60lb injectors TT chip, MSD wires,Rjc power plate, Precision stealth 70mm turbo with Rjc 5 inch stainless down pipe and runs on E-85. Car runs 10.90's. Racetronix 415 single fuel pump, kennybell fuel pressure regulator, K&N cold air filter. Bob Bailey's Two step.

The 400 is perfect in there for a weekend driver if has run a 10.90 I would keep it in there to replace with a comparably strong 200r4 you will spend 2500 to 3500 if it were mine if keep it in there sounds like a really nice car with nice mods. Most guys that get into the 10's move to a 400 for reliability sake

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

................... If it is better to have the 200R4 how difficult is it to put one back in that is built (200R4)? ........................ Manual valve body......................

A manual valve body really sucks on a street car, and you will miss overdrive on the highway. :(

To answer your first question, the 200R4 will make the car a much better driver on the street, and second, it is not difficult to do the change over.

Since you will need another trans, converter and yoke it can get pricey, but your TCI TH 400 and converter should bring a good price to off-set most of the cost.

A less expensive option is to change the valve body in the 400 for a stock one.

It may not matter right now, but the TH 400 will also kill the resale for a street-driver GN. :)

Just my opinion as among my TR's I have 1 with a manual VB TH 400, and another with a built 200R4 for comparison, and recently converted a customer's TH 400 VB 10 sec. Regal to a stock VB. The 400 is not fun except for a very short trip! :cool:

Thanks for all the responses. I would rather have OD but for now I could live without it if the rest of the car is decent. I just wanted a sleeper to mess with my friends and coworkers who have Vettes, Stangs and Camaros with superchargers and stuff. He says he has too many cars (who doesn't) and he is ready to sell this one. I'm new to the 3.8L modding scene so was curious how do the rest of his modifications sound? I don't need a daily driver (bad winters here) just something to take out and enjoy the drive.

As long as you have E-85 somewhere reliably, go for it. I couldn't imagine buying one of these cars to JUST drive every now and then though....that's just me.

Leave the 400 in!! Check your rear end ratio and / or go with larger rear tire size for gear equalizer and enjoy the car. Overdrive / 4th gear only is missed if you're doing a lot of long runs at 65mph or more driving.

Well if maybe I didn't work 1 and a half jobs and chase after 3 kids while trying to keep a wife (happy) I would have more time to enjoy these fine cars, maybe someone can give me the winning powerball numbers and I would have a lot more time and $$ for cars LOL.
These cars came out while I was in HS and I never got even a chance to ride in one until last week when a coworker bought a pristine 87 T Type (stock). I messed around with a few Mustangs and even briefly had its half/step brother a modded 02 Regal GS that ran 13.1's but always loved the look of this G body coupled with the unique sound of the turbo 3.8L. He's asking 8.9K which for the 1/4 times seems decent, what do you think. My fastest buddies run in the high 10's with a stroked/blown Fox body Mustang so I could at least keep up with him and just pay to keep this running instead of paying for the mods themselves.

Manual valve body on a street car is no fun. If you do buy it switching it to a stock style valve body would be first on my list.

I have a RMVB in my th400 and I love it!!
I don't mind not having overdrive.

Manual valve body on a street car is no fun. If you do buy it switching it to a stock style valve body would be first on my list.

It just effectively amounts to a manual transmission without a clutch pedal to contend with. Why isn't it any fun?

Not trying to side track my own thread but what is the purpose of airbags on these. I am used to them being used on truck for towing. Also I see some with scanmasters and did a search and they show it sits on the column but didn't say what it does. I have found another T Type with manual options and less mods that does mid 12's but has OD and a/c. The first one has the ac components removed.
Car specs (for 5K): I have for sale a 1986 Buick T-TYPE, It is white (it was white from factory and blacked out trim ), with maroon interior, it has p/s, p/b, a/c,( 200r4 Automatic transmission w/od, BR CODE FOR TURBO CARS), I believe that the engine, transmission, and rearend are the originals to the car, but haven't checked the numbers or decoded them. The car is one of like 1900 or so of these cars built that year and is much rarer than the grand national,this car may be even more rare as it seems to be some kinda factory light weight, as it has "deleted" the factory power windows and locks, rear window defroster,and cruise control it also doesn't have the add on options like a digital dash ,T-Tops, or sun roof, so it is lighter than a grand national, with the same drive train. The car runs and drives good, don't miss or smoke ,and has had most the front and rear suspension replaced , has a new battery and cables, a new crank sensor, new ignition module, MSD plug wires, hood release cable, alternator replaced, new front brakes, and the transmission rebuilt using all heavy duty parts and a custom torque converter,(500 rpm higher than the factory high stall converter) trans and converter have about a 1000 miles on them and was $1400, the car has many, many, performance up grades and I will list most so you can get the idea of what is in the car, but it is not butchered and could be returned to stock if some one wanted to restore it. The car has: A bigger TA49 turbo, Big Mouth cold air intake with a bigger MAF (think its impala SS or LS1), MAF Translator, Brake system changed over to Hydro boost from the original power master system, RJC 3"Down pipe, RJC adjustable Boost controller, cooler thermostat, adjustable Boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail mounted fuel pressure gauge, Walbro 340 In Tank fuel pump-with a hot wire kit for more volts, 60 lb/hr fuel injectors, a custom Turbo Tweak Chip: tune for (60 lb. injectors/ 25 psi boost/ 93 gas and alcohol injection), an alky control: progressive, adjustable, straight methanol injection system, power trax lock rite locker in rearend ,polly lower control arm bushings and trans mount, solid engine mounts,a scan master 2.1, good after market boost, oil psi, and tempeture gauges with custom dash pod. I have most receipts and all the paper work for parts and stuff done on car ,clear title and keys ready to drive off with new owner the car runs and drives nice,and interior is good, but the car does need to be repainted.

It just effectively amounts to a manual transmission without a clutch pedal to contend with. Why isn't it any fun?
For me, too much bother. Might as well have a stick shift then.

The 400 is perfect in there for a weekend driver if has run a 10.90 I would keep it in there to replace with a comparably strong 200r4 you will spend 2500 to 3500 if it were mine if keep it in there sounds like a really nice car with nice mods. Most guys that get into the 10's move to a 400 for reliability sake

X2! :) I've switched from the 200-4R to a TH400 about a year ago and never regretted it.

and

It may not matter right now, but the TH 400 will also kill the resale for a street-driver GN.
I've had my car since new and have absolutely no plans to sell it so I couldn't care less about resale value. I much prefer having peace of mind knowing that the tranny will withstand all of the abuse at the track...

and

For me, too much bother.
What??...It's the same thing as a manual but without a clutch! How can it be "too much"" bother?? :confused:

Claude.;)

I just put a ratchet shifter in my car with a rmvb 400 and i like it a lot better to drive on the street. Granted i only drive it maybe once a week though.

That car has a lot of parts that aren't even necessary for a 10.9x pass. 70mm turbo? 5" Downpipe? 415LPH pump?!?! That's enough for 9's, if not more! lol. Look in the classifieds here and you will find what you are looking for. Rebuilt engine also has me worried, try and find out who built it.. I personally love my 200r4, and could not imagine having anything else. Put it in OD, and cruise. It's that simple. Want to go fast? Drop it in D and hit the go-pedal. It does all the work for ya!

That car has a lot of parts that aren't even necessary for a 10.9x pass. 70mm turbo? 5" Downpipe? 415LPH pump?!?! That's enough for 9's, if not more! lol. Look in the classifieds here and you will find what you are looking for. Rebuilt engine also has me worried, try and find out who built it.. I personally love my 200r4, and could not imagine having anything else. Put it in OD, and cruise. It's that simple. Want to go fast? Drop it in D and hit the go-pedal. It does all the work for ya!
That pump isn't enough for 9's on e85

Thanks I did check the classified here and found another one that I am interested in. What would you ask about for the rebuilt engine to judge if it was done right?

That pump isn't enough for 9's on e85

My apologies. I forgot that it was running E85. You are 100% correct!
Thanks I did check the classified here and found another one that I am interested in. What would you ask about for the rebuilt engine to judge if it was done right?

I'd want to know who built it, what parts are in it, and what kind of machine work was done. Clearences used would be nice too, if possible.

I have a RMVB in my TH400 and absolutely love it. Manually shifting may not be most desired with some people, but I don't drive this car everyday, and when I do, I love pulling the gears and lighting up the tires. I have a 28" tire in the back with 3.42 gears so the highway is not bad at all. I am keeping up with the flow of traffic at 2700 rpm, and at 3000 I am well ahead of the pack. Would I like another gear? Hell ya, but I am pleased with what I got. It's probably best I don't have another gear tho............ I would more then likely get myself in trouble. ;)