You can type here any text you want

thdp and wastegate porting?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trbojo

'Stang Stinger
i'm going to be installing my thdp, and was wondering how many of you have installed one without porting the w.g. hole, and what, if any problems you've had. i know the major one is boost creep, or being unable to get it low enough. i'm not so much worried about higher boost, since i run high to begin with, and always run plenty of octane. t.i.a.

trbojo said:
i'm going to be installing my thdp, and was wondering how many of you have installed one without porting the w.g. hole, and what, if any problems you've had. i know the major one is boost creep, or being unable to get it low enough. i'm not so much worried about higher boost, since i run high to begin with, and always run plenty of octane. t.i.a.

I'm not sure if the THDP is the cause of the creep as much as bigger turbos with small (stock sized) wastegate holes. I didn't have to port my wastegate until I got a PT-51, and then again for the PT-61 due to creep. Pop it in and see if it creeps. Creep is a pain in the butt because you have to turn the boost down at lower RPMs to keep it from going to high at the top end. If it creeps, port the turbo - it's not really that hard.

Jim

I think it also might have to to do with whether you use a HD wastegate or not and boost controller. With the RJC boost controller and HD(18-30 psi), I barely had to turn in the adjuster and I think it allows the puck to swing fully open. If you have to crank down on the arm then you would have less travel and the puck might not fully open. It's just a theory since I didn't have any boost creep problems at 21 psi with the stock turbo. Since I'm still breaking in the new engine, I haven't gone over 5 psi with the PT-61 to see if I have any boost creep problems.

Back