The downside to roller cams

Try 86 VIN "3" lifters from a FWD. Take a look at the alignment plate while you're at it, albeit you'd need to do some work in the lifter valley to mount it.

Originally posted by TurboBob
That's a great idea...... I will drop him a line.

I imagine OEM flavored lifters would be less expensive, thus offsetting the cost of the guide plate some. The OEM lifter would have to be a shielded foot design I would think.... perhaps LT1 lifters?

Bob

Sorry to hear about your problems Bob. If Jason is interested and needs any info on lifter dimensions and the like have him contact me.

All of the roller lifters GM uses (and used in the past) from Delphi are the "pocket" design. The "fork" style parts are from Eaton and are only used on some Gen III/IV V8 engines.

Keep in mind that there is a shorter version of the roller lifter used in the 60 degree V6 engines that might package better. There is also a version of the long lifter used in the big block that has the flats rotated 90 degrees FWIW.

HTH,

Jim

Jim,

Congrats on those killer times. Perhaps all I really need is a stock cam....... :)

Call me or drop me an email when you get the chance.

Bob

Had a roller on the lifter to push its way sideways until it eat its way into the lifter bore and then broke. It was like the lifter bore wasn't aligned with the cam. Had the bore bushed and never had a problem since. I do have my engine apart right now and I do see signs of the tie bar coming loose.