You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
The difference in the codes, I believe, could be attributed to the fact that in '86 and early '87 the WE2 Grand National package was an option on a base regal. This changed some time during the '87 model run and the WE2 Grand National became its own model.

This might be able to be documented by posting up some window stickers from early and late '87 Grand Nationals.

I would say that that 51 code car had some additional equipment added. I see it has a tilt steering column.

I would also like to disagree with the statement that GNs were not equipped with door guards. While no GNX was fitted with any, I have seen factory equipped GNs and my WE4 had them from the factory. They were stuck on with adhesive like the rest of the emblems. It ran midway up on the door and was a short piece on the front fender and rear quarter in front of the wheel well.

As far as the rare color I'd have to go with the sage green. I'd like the D84 two tone brown/tan.

I'd like to request that you rethink the paypal only deal as I don't use it and never will again. Money orders or CC over the phone for me. I'd like to buy one of those books. Maybe G-Body parts will buy a few to resell(Turbofish38 are you listening?)

The difference in the codes, I believe, could be attributed to the fact that in '86 and early '87 the WE2 Grand National package was an option on a base regal. This changed some time during the '87 model run and the WE2 Grand National became its own model.

This might be able to be documented by posting up some window stickers from early and late '87 Grand Nationals.

I would say that that 51 code car had some additional equipment added. I see it has a tilt steering column.

I would also like to disagree with the statement that GNs were not equipped with door guards. While no GNX was fitted with any, I have seen factory equipped GNs and my WE4 had them from the factory. They were stuck on with adhesive like the rest of the emblems. It ran midway up on the door and was a short piece on the front fender and rear quarter in front of the wheel well.

As far as the rare color I'd have to go with the sage green. I'd like the D84 two tone brown/tan.

kirban 2 cents worth

Definately door edge guards were an option on black cars and GNs that style door edge guard is very very similar to the 1964-65 GTOs a thin metal rail. Most aftermarkets are like a hard rubber like material and are thicker.

You are corect about Grand Nationals they were an option until end of the regular model year in 1987 when they cranked out the last 10,000 all they built were Grand nationals so it was not an option listed as far as I know.

For further proof in my state PA and probably others if you have a earlier Grand Ntional the title may just read Regal. If you had one of he last 10,000 built that title would read Grand National for car model....

On a side note the 1986 LeSabre Grand National I had was regstered in PA as a Grand National. So, if you have a Grand national 1987 built say late fall of 1987 Oct-Nov 87 time period post photo of your trunk ID label I am guessing it may not have the WE2 code for GN? be interesting to see if it does or does not.

Because in the Price Guide I have from GM it states WE2 Grand National Package (Regal) etc...Obviousily in the mix of the last 10,000 you only had certain choices of option packages. They were pushed for time and limited with available parts on hand since the decision to make them was made at some point earlier in the year.

So you are on the rite track and the train is even going the rite way....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Oh yes, your 2 guesses are wrong.....

I'd like to request that you rethink the paypal only deal as I don't use it and never will again. Money orders or CC over the phone for me. I'd like to buy one of those books. Maybe G-Body parts will buy a few to resell(Turbofish38 are you listening?)

send me a private pm and I will answer question on paypal

My 1987 GN has B88 side molding and B91 door edge guards.

Mine, as well. Moldings and door edge guards. See page 2 for my SPID.

Unfornunately one of my door edge guards is missing so if anyone sees this and has one...send me a pm. :)

I think all the BXX codes are the blacked out stuff, special badging, and insulation package for the WO2's and TR's.

Anyway I may have found Bert's code.

VY2, FLEET PROGRAM OPTION PKG INCENTIVE

From the Olds G body site.

How about a picture of that trunk label? :cool:

ill take a pic of it tomorrow and post it up for the thread to see.

buickbert

looks like power door locks, no power windows on the we4 in question??

funny, my gn has power door locks and manual windows also:biggrin: ever try to find upper door panels for a gn with manual windows:mad:

buickbert

wow,thats really rare, ive never noticed that before...learn something everyday.....
on a side note,i work on all makes of cars.01 4dr dodge neons came with power windows on front,but not the rear.....:eek:

I'm late posting my trunk sticker to this thread but have been following this for several days. I am the original owner of an 86GN that I bought new on July 10, 1986. Today the car is all original with the exception of a couple of maintenance items(cat back exhaust, tires(kept the originals-white outline letters) with approximately 47, xxx miles on it. It has been a summer driver only. My sticker lists 93 codes as shown. I've also attached a copy of the window sticker. My GN has the astroroof and power drivers seat. Very interesting thread!

Larry

Attachments

• 86GN-Trunk Sticker-1002.JPG
    86GN-Trunk Sticker-1002.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 86GN WS-1.jpg
    86GN WS-1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 228
kirban 2 cents worth

Larry thanks for joining in, good to see one from an original owner. Curious, when you ordered your car did they try and discourage the power seat option with the astroroof option?

Carpet savers funny name for floor mats boy where they cheap! Cost more when you would order them over the counter at GM even back then.

You got a very loaded example. If you ever do a rear seat brace kit or happen to pull your rear seat out you got a 50/50 shot of finding the one of the broadcast sheets to put with your window sticker.

Being an 1986 to start with and equipped like it is, its a rare car. You probably have the manila envelope with the hand crank also for the roof option?

Glad you enjoy this thread certianly has made an impact.

I plan to start another one under turbo lounge soon that will cover different areas and keep this going also because of the response probably call it kirbans 2 cents worth.

enjoy your ride

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't know it all, but enough to perk peoples interest.

kirban 2 cents worth

Since the VIN and Trunk ID numbers are a match. Plus it appears no one above has stated they have owned the car since new, my gut thinking is the the trunk ID label and VIN is what the car had when it was built. If the paint code matches on the cowl tag for black it was in all likelihood a black Turbo-T and was converted a number of years ago by one of the pervious owners. It certainily would not be unusual.

I doubt really doubt, GM would have screwed up the trunk ID label so bad as not to list the WO2 black out trim, WE4 option, and top if off with DR3 chrome mirrors.

The funny part or maybe unusual part is the car before anyone made the changes, is it was a pretty unusual car based on 51 codes and chrome mirrors. In other words if the car today matched the 51 codes it would be something unique.

My feeling is, the car has been altered to make it appear like a WE4. Car looks great, don't take this the wrong way, but the DNA (trunk ID label) does not jive with the car. I think most readers would agree with this.

I am guessing but like it was said earlier when it was painted you did not see traces of any other color so chances are good that the paint code on the cowl tag will be for black.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

On a plus side you now hold the lead at the low end of 51 codes. Can any readers hit under that number or above 98 codes?

Keep trying

I would agree that it was more than likley a chrome car based on the RPO, however, someone did a very good job switching it over to what it is today. I have thought about taking it back to the black and chrome, should be fairly easy to do, since it would have to come apart for much needed paint. On the other side, it keeps moving futher away from original, with every engine mod:rolleyes: so I guess it does not matter. The RPO belongs with the car, so I'll take the 51 codes:cool: Here is a rundown:

AR9- Buckets
AU3- PW Locks
A01- Window Tinted
BS1- Ins, Acoustical Pkg
B94- Ornamentation, Extra Emblem VAR1
CD4- Wiper System Pulse
C60- HVAC Man Controls
DR3- Chrome Mirrors
D55- Console Floor
D71- Speedo Gear
E5Z- Speedo Delete
FE3- Suspension Sport
FFL- ??
GMD-??
GU6- 3.42 Rear
G87- Ring Gear 8.5
J42- Pwr FRT Disc, RR Alum. Drum
J50- Break System Power
K09- Gen 120A
K09- Cruise Control
LC2- 3.8 SFI V6 Torbo, HO
MW9- Auto 4sp
MXO- O/D
NA5- Emission Sys
NP5- Steering Wheel Leather
NQ5- Cap Horn Deluxe
N33- Steering Column Tilt
N89- Wheel, Turbo Alum
PON-??
QYZ- P215/65R12 BL
T47- Turbo Hood
UM6- AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Rev Cass
UQ1- Radio Provisions
U23- Cluster, Inst, Trim OD
U66- Speaker System
U73 Fixed Ant
VD6- Bumper-Ft Alum
VD7- Bumper R Alum
VK3- Lic Plate Ft
YT9- ??
Y56 Grand Touring Pkg
19Q- Blk Body Moldings
19U- Primary Color Lamp Blk
6YX-??
7YU-??
8PZ- ??
828- ??
82I- Int Trim, Med Dk Gray
829- Seat Belt Color Med Dk Gray
9PZ-??

And Pictures

Thanks

Attachments

• P8070028.JPG
    P8070028.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 351
  • My 87 Buick.JPG
    My 87 Buick.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 344
  • P9240012.JPG
    P9240012.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 352
  • P8070029.JPG
    P8070029.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 347
Dennis,

You had asked how many cars went to Canada. I can answer for the Limiteds.

Only 80 in 1987. Yes 8-0.

Hense my screen name. Same as my plate.

Dennis,

You had asked how many cars went to Canada. I can answer for the Limiteds.

Only 80 in 1987. Yes 8-0.

Hense my screen name. Same as my plate.

kirban 2 cents worth

I knew it would be a low number. My guess is also the exchange rate wasn't exactly in your favor back then so a Limited was pretty costly in Canadian money.

So, out of 1,,035 Turbo-T Limiteds produced 80 went north of the border when new. I am sure an insurance agent reading this has the math numbers could come up with a figure based on 23-24 years later and percentage that was still left on the road.

Then figure out how many Canadian Providences there are divide that by cars and you would have a rough idea how many at the most would exist in your providence......no matter how you do the math, it would be a very low number.

Appreciate your input

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Another what 2 months and spring weather hits you guys rite?

kirban 2 cents worth

Larry thanks for joining in, good to see one from an original owner. Curious, when you ordered your car did they try and discourage the power seat option with the astroroof option?

Carpet savers funny name for floor mats boy where they cheap! Cost more when you would order them over the counter at GM even back then.

You got a very loaded example. If you ever do a rear seat brace kit or happen to pull your rear seat out you got a 50/50 shot of finding the one of the broadcast sheets to put with your window sticker.

Being an 1986 to start with and equipped like it is, its a rare car. You probably have the manila envelope with the hand crank also for the roof option?

Glad you enjoy this thread certianly has made an impact.

I plan to start another one under turbo lounge soon that will cover different areas and keep this going also because of the response probably call it kirbans 2 cents worth.

enjoy your ride

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't know it all, but enough to perk peoples interest.

Dennis,

This GN was ordered by someone else but they backed out of the deal when the car came in to the dealership. A friend at work had ordered a low option GN and mine came in at the same time as his car. He knew I was lookiong for one and called me about it. I called and talked to the dealer, Buckles Motors in Urbana, OH and they knocked 3 grand off the sticker price right up front. Where I live(Columbus, OH) the dealers were adding to the sticker price. I had gotten into the GS's a couple years earlier and was looking for a new car when the 86 GN's came out with the intercooler. I had test drove an 85 and wasn't impressed with the turbo lag. The 86 was an entirely different story.

Yes, the carpet savers were flimsy. The drivers side in mine has a tear in it but several years ago I talked to a parts manager at Len Imke Buick in Columbus and he was able to find what he said was the last set in GM's inventory. They were located in Louisana I believe but he was able to get them for me. I have them safely put away for future use. I also picked up a weatherstrip seal for the astroroof a couple of years ago.

I do have the envelope with the crank in it. Didn't realize what it was until I read through the owners manual.

Many years ago, there was an article in the GSXTRA about the most optioned GN and my car was only a couple of hundred dollars less than the GN in the article.

Once again, great thread. Look forward to future threads.

Larry

kirban 2 cents worth

About Larrys story above. One reason the original floor mats or carpet savers as they are referred to were in very short supply after a few years is because:

The original owner of Bowling Green Customs, who happened to work full time at the Corvette plant had some good connections. Meaning that one of his best selling product lines early on 1987-1990 time frame was buying original black GN floor mats and embroidering them. They were quite costly as those original mats are very thick and hard to embroider on.

I remain good friends with him to this day and he claims to ave just about wiped GM out of them.

Hard to believe the dealer knocked 3 grand off the sticker as you said not the usual case in probably the larger cities.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned a few over the years.

I think all the BXX codes are the blacked out stuff, special badging, and insulation package for the WO2's and TR's.

Anyway I may have found Bert's code.

VY2, FLEET PROGRAM OPTION PKG INCENTIVE

From the Olds G body site.

How about a picture of that trunk label? :cool:

heres a pic of the trunk label, as i said earlier the car has power locks/ manual windows. this has ALWAYS seemed wierd to me. the car HAS tilt, concert 2, remote drivers mirror, but lacks cruise, rear defrost and just about everything else.

buickbert

Attachments

• gn tag.jpg
    gn tag.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 344
kirban 2 cents worth

Here is the answer to the question I asked several posts back as to what exterior paint option do you think is the rarest regardless of what year Turbo Regal.

It was kind of a trick question. The answer I wanted is the option they gave each year entitled Solid Special Color code D83.

From the salesmans booklet I have it was a $200 option. Basically means from what I remember is you could have gotten your Turbo Regal painted any solid color you desire as long as it was a current color from GM.

The $200 price did not change during those years. However, as strange as it seems only for 1987 does it state not avalable on WE2 cars (Grand Nationals). I take that to mean on the 1984-85-86 Grand Nationals you did have the option for another solid color if you wanted.

Actually the Grand National black & grey interior wold have probably looked pretty good against some of the other GM colors.

That D83 code on the trunk ID label would verify such a claim. Makes it kind of a rare choice agreed?

I think by now everyone reading this posts can see just how complex and in some cases confusing the code system can be.

The quickest method to determine actual number count of options is to lok at your window sticker if you have it. Even then some of the listed codes wold not be options but required such as the transmisison with over drive.

I have my window sticker and with 52 codes I count a total of just 9 options over the standard things that would have been on the car anyhow. Listed for $16,300 and some change.

The top of the line radio back then was a pretty pricey option at $508.00 and that was with a cassette cartridge only no CD! We all know how short the life span is with a AC Delco Cassette changer!

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned a few over the years, black definately shows the greatest factory flaws.

hope this works, a pic of the trunk label, also take notice that there isnt a code for power windows as i said earlier, the car has power locks/ manual windows. this has ALWAYS seemed wierd to me. the car HAS tilt, concert 2, remote drivers mirror, but lacks cruise, rear defrost and just about everything else.

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

I don't see your trunk label. You say your car lacks cruise does it have delay wipers?
No rear defroster means in all likelhood the car was originally sold down south as most northern deliveries had rear defrost. Perhaps you have the window sticker to see where it originally sold or perhaps you reside down south and know the history. Again I am guessing.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Almost without a doubt its pretty safe to say no two turbo regals are alike.

kirban 2 cents worth

I don't see your trunk label. You say your car lacks cruise does it have delay wipers?
No rear defroster means in all likelhood the car was originally sold down south as most northern deliveries had rear defrost. Perhaps you have the window sticker to see where it originally sold or perhaps you reside down south and know the history. Again I am guessing.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Almost without a doubt its pretty safe to say no two turbo regals are alike.

wierd, its showing up on my screen, the car has the (CD4- pulse wsw) system. the story i got from the original owner was that he ordered the car in detriot somewhere when he lived there, then moved to tucson before it came in. he had to fly back to michigan to pick it up and he drove it out to arizona and its been in tucson since. i dont have the window sticker, he gave me a big a$$ box of paperwork/ reciepts but for some reason the window sticker isnt in there.

buickbert

Back