You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
My car is manual window, locks and seat, no rear defrost but it has 75 codes, never really counted them. Had more than I thought

Attachments

• Image016.jpeg
    Image016.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 243
kirban 2 cents worth

Referring to the two posts ahead of this one printed their 1987 trunk ID labels other listed the codes. Both are 1987 Grand Nationals verified by the WE2 code.
The first person pointed out 3 unusual codes the 2 B codes refer to molding delete according to the description. I have GM production booklets for several years and that is correct.

Obviousily Grand Nationals did not get any body side moldings whether it was that very thin molding you sometimes see on Turbo-Ts or the wide stainless version that was offered on Turbo-T Limiteds and could be had a on a Turbo-T.

Why does the one set of codes list them and the other does not? Obviousily neither GN would have the moldings. What may be a clue is the build date of the two cars perhaps one is from that last batch of 10,000 and maybe they got the delete codes since I have seldom seen those codes.

Just a wild guess since both are 1987 models. If either person above would look on the door jamb be interesting to know the built date for the above 2 GNs. The 2 codes the first person mentions and can't figure out, I have no idea either. Every one of my GM production booklet skips over that ZR 6 number.

In looking over the ZR codes in general most have to do with appearance packages or performance. Example ZR9 is the Syclone appearance package. The GMC Syclone did not come out until 1991. We all know what ZR1 is. One reason they probably spaced the new ZR 1 so as not to be confused with the original C4 body style ZR1.

I don't think two 100% identical GNs that would be VIN one after each other would contain the exact same ID codes on the trunk label. Some of these codes were probably for internal reasons.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keep them coming 51 or less, 98 or more is the goal...

kirban 2 cents worth

Here goes question for the nite:

For the 1984-85-86-87 Turbo Regals in your opinion what would you consider to be the rarest available exterior paint option?

I am basing this on what I have owned and seen over the years. When I give the answer I think most owners will be in agreement.

good luck

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

hint: I never owned one that fits the above answer.

kirban 2 cents worth

For the 1984-85-86-87 Turbo Regals in your opinion what would you consider to be the rarest available exterior paint option?

I am basing this on what I have owned and seen over the years. When I give the answer I think most owners will be in agreement.

good luck

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Sage Green or Light Blue Metallic:confused:

kirban 2 cents worth

Why does the one set of codes list them and the other does not? Obviousily neither GN would have the moldings. What may be a clue is the build date of the two cars perhaps one is from that last batch of 10,000 and maybe they got the delete codes since I have seldom seen those codes.

Just a wild guess since both are 1987 models. If either person above would look on the door jamb be interesting to know the built date for the above 2 GNs. The 2 codes the first person mentions and can't figure out, I have no idea either. Every one of my GM production booklet skips over that ZR 6 number.

just checked the door jamb, mfg 01/87 which leads me to believe that it is indeed on of the last 10,000 built.

as far as the "delete codes" those shouldnt be counted in the "options count" as in your description moulding wasnt an option right:biggrin:

setting aside all of the option codes that relate to the "we2 grand national package" id say that my car is fairly low optioned with the following

power door locks
tinted glass
insulation pkg
front carpet savers (still in the car:biggrin: )
rear carpet savers (also still in the car:biggrin: )
pulse wsw
raised WHITE letter tires:confused:
(4) halogen headlights:confused: didnt all turbo regals have 4 headlights
concert sound

please correct me if im wrong in any way.

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

good luck

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

id say its 2 tone dark brown and light brown chestnut metallic like the one picture about half way down in this link.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/members-rides-friends-family/275026-rare-t-colors.html

buickbert

are gm codes the same for different car brands?

so im confused with my lost codes;

i googled "gm code ZR6" and came up with this from a corvette board

"ZR6-Zone Show Vehicle".

it probably doesnt translate between brands but does anyone know?

and from a "australian holden board"

Holden VY, VY2, V2, VZ, WK and WL variant vehicles

Supplier Name: GM Holden Ltd

Product Make: Holden

Product Model: VY, VY2, V2, VZ, WK and WL

Target Number: 89167

Consequences:

Campaign Number: 06-H-02

VIN Range:

Serial Range:

Defect Details: A condition can occur on vehicles fitted with side airbags, where an electrical earth wire that is fitted underneath either front seat may become detached. Without this eathing, an electrostatic charge may transfer through the seat to the airbag inflator. This may result in an unintentional deployment of the side airbag when the car is stationary and whilst the occupant is exiting one of the front seats.

Consumer action: Contact your local dealer. Owners will be contacted directly by mail.

Market Coverage: National

Recall Coverage: National

LINK to Government Recall Site
"

so according to google my car is an australian exported show car that has an early factory recall on side airbags:D :D :D :D :D

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

Referring to the two posts ahead of this one printed their 1987 trunk ID labels other listed the codes. Both are 1987 Grand Nationals verified by the WE2 code.
The first person pointed out 3 unusual codes the 2 B codes refer to molding delete according to the description. I have GM production booklets for several years and that is correct.

Obviousily Grand Nationals did not get any body side moldings whether it was that very thin molding you sometimes see on Turbo-Ts or the wide stainless version that was offered on Turbo-T Limiteds and could be had a on a Turbo-T.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keep them coming 51 or less, 98 or more is the goal...

Dennis, body side molding is an option on the GN. B88 is the code for this. I have seen many with this molding.

Bryan

Dennis, body side molding is an option on the GN. B88 is the code for this. I have seen many with this molding.

Bryan

there is a couple of gns that show up to a local show every year that have a thin moulding that runs down the center of the door.

buickbert

just checked the door jamb, mfg 01/87 which leads me to believe that it is indeed on of the last 10,000 built.

as far as the "delete codes" those shouldnt be counted in the "options count" as in your description moulding wasnt an option right:biggrin:

setting aside all of the option codes that relate to the "we2 grand national package" id say that my car is fairly low optioned with the following

power door locks
tinted glass
insulation pkg
front carpet savers (still in the car:biggrin: )
rear carpet savers (also still in the car:biggrin: )
pulse wsw
raised WHITE letter tires:confused:
(4) halogen headlights:confused: didnt all turbo regals have 4 headlights
concert sound

please correct me if im wrong in any way.

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

On the headlites not sure where you are reading 4 Halogen headlamps everything I have states TT5 code Tungsten halogen headlamps no refernce to 4. Cost $25

Your build date 01-87 is not during the last 10,000 built. The last 10,000 built did not happen until around August of 1987 and production went almost to the end of December 1987. You could still find new ones for sale in the early spring of `1988.

What is confusing i the trunk ID label doe snot strictly list options it is the DNA of what is in your car. Certain codes apply to rear springs and such. It takes 4 or 5 codes to list the rear 3.42 8.5 posi etc and so on. So it is not just one code for G80 meaning limited slip or posi.

Keep in mind in many cases I go by memory and I am not using exactly the exact GM wording when explaining the codes. As far as deletes go it got a number as it told the assembly people to delete that item so it got a code.

I hope what I wrote clears up some of your questions....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't claim to know it all, but enough to add some insight

My 1987 GN has B88 side molding and B91 door edge guards.

Same option codes as found on my WE4 as well and physically the same moldings.

Nobody is an expert on ALL this stuff since there never has been threads for say each model year and then each "model" within the year to get a decent data base of RPO code stickers and to stay on track.

And the WE4 car database is gone too. :(

Someday Turbo Buick owners should get organized. :p

Now how about a thread on ONLY 1987 GN options, only WE4 options, and only Limited options, only export car options....

Otherwise in a few months nobody will want to search this thread. :eek: :wink:

so im confused with my lost codes;

i googled "gm code ZR6" and came up with this from a corvette board

"ZR6-Zone Show Vehicle".

it probably doesnt translate between brands but does anyone know?

and from a "australian holden board"

Holden VY, VY2, V2, VZ, WK and WL variant vehicles

Supplier Name: GM Holden Ltd

Product Make: Holden

Product Model: VY, VY2, V2, VZ, WK and WL

Target Number: 89167

Consequences:

Campaign Number: 06-H-02

VIN Range:

Serial Range:

Defect Details: A condition can occur on vehicles fitted with side airbags, where an electrical earth wire that is fitted underneath either front seat may become detached. Without this eathing, an electrostatic charge may transfer through the seat to the airbag inflator. This may result in an unintentional deployment of the side airbag when the car is stationary and whilst the occupant is exiting one of the front seats.

Consumer action: Contact your local dealer. Owners will be contacted directly by mail.

Market Coverage: National

Recall Coverage: National

LINK to Government Recall Site
"

so according to google my car is an australian exported show car that has an early factory recall on side airbags:D :D :D :D :D

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

Good research on the codes ZR6 if that description holds true back to the year 1987 perhaps that is why it is not in any of my production booklets thru 2001. Maybe it is an internal code GM did not want the public to know that particular vehicle may have been used on a car show circuit o something. Again I am guessing.

As far as the other code info you found what makes it very tough is codes in some cases took on other meanings later in production. The Holden info is Australian obviousily that current meaning you found does not translate at all to the Buicks of 1987.

The GNX is a prime example the code for the GNX on the trunk ID label I have never found that in any production booklets until 2001 issue. I am not saying I am right just saying it doe snot appear in any of the GM production booklets I have prior to 2001 and I have about 8 of them.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Hope this makes sense to you.....

there is a couple of gns that show up to a local show every year that have a thin moulding that runs down the center of the door.

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

Your rite B88 was a unique black molding used on WE2 and WO2 applications only. Price was $60. In 1987. What is unusual is they also list another black body side molding as 19Q as black. I have no idea what the difference would be both are stick on. I know the colored body side moldings had that plastic edging on it that would peal. Book shows 6 other color body side moldings available at l for 1987 models.

Again sorry for the error on B88 code...Under moldings in my book all the others start with a number code except the black for the GNs...weird.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

good research!!!!

I think all the BXX codes are the blacked out stuff, special badging, and insulation package for the WO2's and TR's.

Anyway I may have found Bert's code.

VY2, FLEET PROGRAM OPTION PKG INCENTIVE

From the Olds G body site.

How about a picture of that trunk label? :cool:

My 1987 GN has B88 side molding and B91 door edge guards.

Same option codes as found on my WE4 as well and physically the same moldings.

Nobody is an expert on ALL this stuff since there never has been threads for say each model year and then each "model" within the year to get a decent data base of RPO code stickers and to stay on track.

And the WE4 car database is gone too. :(

Someday Turbo Buick owners should get organized. :p

Now how about a thread on ONLY 1987 GN options, only WE4 options, and only Limited options, only export car options....

Otherwise in a few months nobody will want to search this thread. :eek: :wink:

kirban 2 cents worth

I may have partial solution to your request above. First, it would be a tedious task and extremely difficult for someone to compile a 100% accurate accounting by T-Type, Turbo-T Limited Turbo-T WE4 GNX etc.

I speak from experience. My first book took 2 years. I had no writing experience. Every nite I would sit down and write a few things, run outside to double check something as I usually had 4 -9 Turbo cars to verify my info. I kept a seperate folder for each chapter of the book making sure I did not repeat the info.

Unlike most writers they hire a publisher, we did it all....

However, I am putting together a 8 1/2 by 11 info booklet run about 55 pages that will back up probably 85% of your trunk ID codes, every single option for sure on your car for every year 1984-1987 with GM list price of each option, every paint code and interior code info. Printed on 60lb paper. Will be $20 lst class mail paypal only denniskirban@yahoo.com Will also include a free bonus item that shows one of the rarest of rare cars doing some wheel stands for the employees. No more clues....

and for you Salvage V6: send me a pm with your address I will send you a copy free! I willl have them hopefully by the end of this week.

win win situation....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't know all the answers but it has got people thinking....

looks like power door locks, no power windows on the we4 in question??

funny, my gn has power door locks and manual windows also:biggrin: ever try to find upper door panels for a gn with manual windows:mad:

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

On crank windows I just stripped a GN that had crank windows door panels were shot. However, not sure if you realize this or not the hand crank is pretty darn dead on to where the electric button is. The drivers side may be a little off because its a dual electric switch so that hole is a little wider.

Unfortunately the repro door panels (uppers) I have seen and we even carry the grey is way dark when compared to originals granted sun fade and 23 years adds to it but it still is darker.

One reason if you ever get a new headliner be sure the same source also does your visors at the same time or the color will never match. Fabric is a funny thing as far as colors go.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Be grateful you got crank windows.....

I think all the BXX codes are the blacked out stuff, special badging, and insulation package for the WO2's and TR's.

Anyway I may have found Bert's code.

VY2, FLEET PROGRAM OPTION PKG INCENTIVE

From the Olds G body site.

How about a picture of that trunk label? :cool:

Nice find Salvage. If the Z code is correct being a show car maybe it was a fleet from GM for the car shows.

Bryan

Back