The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

I happen to love em hence my screen name......1968 Chevrolet Corvette coupe was the first U.S.-built production automobile to feature a T-top roof

I happen to love em hence my screen name......1968 Chevrolet Corvette coupe was the first U.S.-built production automobile to feature a T-top roof

I figured you would get it especially after the other person was pretty close. Any idea what the issue was with GM with related to the T-Tops?

Gotta try and stump you at something....I had a 68 Corvette also same time I had a 63....Nice cars.....

kir******************

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Not out of ideas yet....

in my search for VQ1 and VY2 I found W44 it is merchandise pkg sporty,still nothing. on other codes

That is the problem with some of the GM trunk ID codes, to the general public (car owners) we have no idea what they mean.

I am sure they were probably issued so if something popped up they would know it involved your car or it may be something a dealer would need to know. Nowadays dealers ask for your VIN number and from that they can tell everything. Years ago we just gave them the year and make of the car.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

being "new" to this forum do they cut you off after a cerain number of pages covering a subject?

kirbans 2 cents worth

Finally stumped you Mr T-Topflyer......wow Lets try this approach.

Actually make this question open to everyone that is reading it.

On T-Tops the 1968 Corvette was the lst US car manufacturer to put that feature into production. One of the better known aftermarket companies, Hurst did their version called HH or Hurst Hatches in the 1970s mostly to the popular F-body cars notably the Trans Ams...

Now, the question is who is credited with the T-Top invention. The answer will probably surprise most people. Only reason I know this is in my spare time, I am reading a book and that subject comes up. When you find that answer it will answer what the issue was with GM...

Good luck

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Too much to learn at one time....

Hmmmm...who invented the T-top option?

Wow...this is a good one Dennis. I have been sitting here for the last twenty minutes or so trying to think who it may be...I am going to go with three guess's (if we are allowed three?) based on the many automotive books I have and autobiographies many of which are very old and long out of print.

My guess's in order are: George Hurst, William (Bill) Campbell (George Hurst's partner when it was Hurst Campbell In Warminster, PA - home of Yum Yum Donuts :) the late John Delorian when he was with PMD (Pontiac Motor Company).

Am I close? Geez, I am not going to be able to sleep now! haha

Wow...this is a good one Dennis. I have been sitting here for the last twenty minutes or so trying to think who it may be...I am going to go with three guess's (if we are allowed three?) based on the many automotive books I have and autobiographies many of which are very old and long out of print.

My guess's in order are: George Hurst, William (Bill) Campbell (George Hurst's partner when it was Hurst Campbell In Warminster, PA - home of Yum Yum Donuts :) the late John Delorian when he was with PMD (Pontiac Motor Company).

Am I close? Geez, I am not going to be able to sleep now! haha

Bad news not even close on any of your guesses....

keep trying

On a side note: Hurst put out an instruction book roughly I think 100 pages as I got copy somewhere on how to cut your roof and install their T-Tops. Great idea for a Saturday afternoon project. Boy, here is a project when you really want to measure twice before you cut once!

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

OK, here goes one more crack at it...

Wow...this is REALLY a good one Dennis...can't sleep now till I or someone else get this tonight...I hope. OK, here it goes...was going through some of my hand written notes and details and I am going from my memory from a long time ago but I am going to say the late Heinz Pritcher (sp?) whom was the founder of ASC Corporation (maker of the GNX and many other fine cars) when he opened his first shop, I believe in California near the original Barris Customs Studio (George Barris - Cars to the stars ie: original Batmobile, The Monkee's car) and then sometime later Heinz Pritcher moved his shop to Michigan? Am I close? If not any hint's clues? :confused:

Reggie Jackson Limited...

Thank you Dennis and everyone for the kind comments on my rare, loaded 1987 Buick Turbo Regal Limited (ex Reggie Jackson collection). Dennis, is correct I am not the original owner (as I would have been very young!)...although I did buy a 1987 Buick Grand National when I was 17 which my Dad co-signed for and I worked three jobs to pay for and sold the car in 1991 - wish I still had it. I purchased the car from my friend Bill in CT. Bill purchased the car with a mere 4000 miles on it and took incredible care for it for almost seven years. Alot of the incredible detailing and hard work that my car has been fortunate to see can be attributed to Bill and his care and knowledge of this car and Buick Turbo Regals in general. He is a long term Buick Turbo Regal enthusiast and has owned many rare and unique cars including a beautifull GNX. The car has a very interesting and unique ownership history, including of course as mentioned before Reggie Jackson. The car was originally sold from a Buick dealership near Chicago, IL that is still in business and the original salesman stillworks there and will be retiring next year! I have spoken to him and he remembers selling my car as it was delivered Christmas eve 1986! He said he would not remember it if it was black or had been a Grand National but luckily due to the rare and unique color he remebered it. I am hoping to meet him on a trip to Chicago in June of this year. Sticker price on my car was $19,616.00 new.

I pulled out some of the records from my files on the ultra rare 4000 original mile 1987 Limited I mentioned before with the Heavy padded Landeau top AND Astroroof and the car came in at a cool (ready for this) $24,928.40 CDN in 1987 - this still would have been about $22,500.00 US with the dollar exchange rate at the time. Options alone on the car totalled $9124.40 CDN! I don't think it tops a 100 options codes on the SPID label but it's awfull close...somwhere between 95 and 100. I have to do some more homework and research on this one to see where it stands and will report back. :biggrin:

Thank you Dennis and everyone for the kind comments on my rare, loaded 1987 Buick Turbo Regal Limited (ex Reggie Jackson collection). Dennis, is correct I am not the original owner (as I would have been very young!)...although I did buy a 1987 Buick Grand National when I was 17 which my Dad co-signed for and I worked three jobs to pay for and sold the car in 1991 - wish I still had it. I purchased the car from my friend Bill in CT. Bill purchased the car with a mere 4000 miles on it and took incredible care for it for almost seven years. Alot of the incredible detailing and hard work that my car has been fortunate to see can be attributed to Bill and his care and knowledge of this car and Buick Turbo Regals in general. He is a long term Buick Turbo Regal enthusiast and has owned many rare and unique cars including a beautifull GNX. The car has a very interesting and unique ownership history, including of course as mentioned before Reggie Jackson. The car was originally sold from a Buick dealership near Chicago, IL that is still in business and the original salesman stillworks there and will be retiring next year! I have spoken to him and he remembers selling my car as it was delivered Christmas eve 1986! He said he would not remember it if it was black or had been a Grand National but luckily due to the rare and unique color he remebered it. I am hoping to meet him on a trip to Chicago in June of this year. Sticker price on my car was $19,616.00 new.

I pulled out some of the records from my files on the ultra rare 4000 original mile 1987 Limited I mentioned before with the Heavy padded Landeau top AND Astroroof and the car came in at a cool (ready for this) $24,928.40 CDN in 1987 - this still would have been about $22,500.00 US with the dollar exchange rate at the time. Options alone on the car totalled $9124.40 CDN! I don't think it tops a 100 options codes on the SPID label but it's awfull close...somwhere between 95 and 100. I have to do some more homework and research on this one to see where it stands and will report back. :biggrin:

That was a HIGH dollar car in the day for a TB.:biggrin:

kirban 2 cents worth

On the rare Limited Reggies car the Bill person he refers to has indeed had some super super nice Turbo Regals. I bought his low mileage GN years ago and then I bought a super rare white Turbo-T with astroroof that went to Hawaii. I missed out on his GNX probably because I was unaware of him selling it.

still no one can beat either number 52 downward or 98 upward....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Jason you still hold the winning hand solo at 98 codes....

Any updates on the T-Top inventer...

Hi Dennis,

OK, so I can try and sleep tonight before I sign off (hehe) :biggrin: can you confirm if I ws right or even close before you head off for slumberland?

If am right to a win a bag of M&M's or something? :rolleyes:

P.S. Completely off topic, what's the name of the Italian restraunt in Hatboro?

kirban 2 cents worth

I did get a private message from -T-Topflyer he has guessed the inventor of the T-Tops but can't figure out the issue concerning T-Tops and GM.

Here is the answers.

The inventor patented his T-Top invention way back in 1951. His name was Gordon Buehrig. He held many jobs with several well known car companies. At the young age of 24 he was the chief designer for Stutz. At age 25 he became the chief designer for Dusenberg and designed the J model, the 1933 Duesenberg 1513 and the Rollston bodied machine that was shown at the 1934 Worlds fair. In 1934 he went to work at AUburn where he designed the boattail speedster.

In 1939 he hit the home run and designed the Cord 810 which featured front wheel drive, and a supercharged V8. After the war he went to Studebaker. From 1949 until he retired in 1965 he worked at Ford. (Seems like such a let down after Dusenberg and Cord?)

He designed the first Ford hardtop the 1951 Victoria. Also the 1956 Lincoln Mark II. In other words a pretty darn impressive resume by any ones standards.

When he designed the T-Tops back in 1951 he could not interest any car manufactuer to produce it. In 1955 he bought one of the first T-birds and built a top with removeable panels.

Seventeen years later in October of 1967 he buys a car magazine and notices the new Corvette on the cover (1968) model. His patent is still in affect and does not expire for one more year. He contacts GM about infringement. Eventually they offer him a sum of money and since he figured he could not sue GM he accepted the money.

I apologize for the long copy but I am sure like myself many of us had no idea the T-Top invention took place that many years ago and by someone who I am sure in most circles is considered one of the formost car designers of all time.

I know without a doubt any of the models he designed that I mentioned above fetch some serious money today.

End of story

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Will try and add some more ideas tomorrow since this thread is getting the heavy focus. Good job T-Topflyer......now you know the entire story....

I should have said what does the T-Top cars have in common with the Dusenbergs and Cords?

I fixed the cruise control on Bill's white T in the Walmart parking lot cruise in Wallingford, CT. :p

Brake switch adjustment.

It was a nice car, and I sat in Reggies car too at the NEBRA picnic, probably the coolest TR I've ever seen. :eek: :cool:

Had my Limited priced out at over $21K but I ordered a GN instead, couldn't get the cornering lamps with the black out package. :p

Still have a heavily marked up sales brochure trying to figure out all the possibilities on how to order one. :D

The salesman didn't share my enthusiasm. :p

I still don't know why you are comparing different models/types and years for total option codes.

Some versions have "advantages".

Hi Dennis,

OK, so I can try and sleep tonight before I sign off (hehe) :biggrin: can you confirm if I ws right or even close before you head off for slumberland?

If am right to a win a bag of M&M's or something? :rolleyes:

P.S. Completely off topic, what's the name of the Italian restraunt in Hatboro?

Restuarant is La Fontanas in Hatboro they only accept American money so bring that instead of Canadian dollars.

Are you near where they are building the new Camaro? If so you see nay running around?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't own Reggie Jackson car but I have sold parts to one of his relatives. Reggie went to high school near me.......

I fixed the cruise control on Bill's white T in the Walmart parking lot cruise in Wallingford, CT. :p

Brake switch adjustment.

It was a nice car, and I sat in Reggies car too at the NEBRA picnic, probably the coolest TR I've ever seen. :eek: :cool:

Had my Limited priced out at over $21K but I ordered a GN instead, couldn't get the cornering lamps with the black out package. :p

Still have a heavily marked up sales brochure trying to figure out all the possibilities on how to order one. :D

The salesman didn't share my enthusiasm. :p

I still don't know why you are comparing different models/types and years for total option codes.

Some versions have "advantages".

kirbans 2 cents worth

About comparing different models. True, I should have kept Limiteds seperate but I shot from the hip and did not make that distinction. Obviousily their is a wealth of info out there and now many people can see just how vastly different the cars can be even the "black" ones. I got no problems if people don't agree with my findings but most owners don;t get to see as many as I have handled even at the national level and going back to when they were new.

From the response it has proven to be interesting. Going by memory Bills white Turbo I bought was it a bench seat or buckets I can't remember. I still remember the look on his face when I picked up his low mileage GN. We drove it home in the rain this is before I got a trailer......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

til later

Wow - 1951??

Wow...1951, who would have thought/known. I was going to try and Google it to but wanted to try and see if I could figure it out. Dennis, maybe you can start a Jeporady style automotive trivia question show on TV...has to be way better then what's on the tube now. :D

Ya, don't worry won't bring any CDN money... it's like Monopoly money right now and is dropping like a stone every day...if I bring and try and pay with that, they may put me in the kitchen washing dishes or something!

Funny you mention about the new Camaro's... I met one of my best friends who runs the GM Vintage services here in Canada Saturday morning for coffee and donuts before heading in to work and he works beside (GM Corporate) the plant building them in Oshawa. Also that same day I ran into another friend, whom I have not seen in about 4 years and he has worked for GM for 34 years and he was on the pilot team to put the first 10 together by hand! They are rolling out now off the assembly line and look really good. The interiors look incredible and the gauges look like original 69 RS gauge clusters. I have already sat in a SS and base model but have not heard one start or driven one yet..shortly though I jope. Rumor has it that they will be installing/offering a factory Hurst short throw shifter soon! Right now the Camaro and the Malibu and Impala are the only thing keeping the Oshawa plant's going. Truck production is totally down. Drove a new 09 loaded Impala the other day...beautifull car and drives like a Cadillac if you ask me.

kirban 2 cents worth

Jason you probably know this answer since you got a buddy who works at GM vintage service. Assuming vintage means related to facts & figures for older cars. Someone earlier asked what number Turbo Regals went directly to Canada... I had the breakdown years ago but my notes over the years are not in any one place since we moved. Can you provide break down for 84-85-86-87 GNs- T-Types and maybe Limited Turbos. I know they were not big numbers any given year going north.

Appreciate it. Castle has new Camaro on order claims its already being built. They say it will outshine the new Challenger etc. I have a feeling Hummer/saturn/saab are on very shakey ground may join Oldsmobile.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Know enough to make it interesting....