You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

Your trunk label Buickbert has now "popped up" You do have delay wipers. Your car has the heavy steal bumper braces instead of the lite weight VD6 and VD7 that many other trunk ID labels have shown in this thread.

Now I member you reside in Arizona so my theory on the rear defroster makes sense as your car probably was originally down in the south or southwest part of the USA. That VY code I don't know either but codes are grouped together like most V starting codes have to do with bumpers or related to bumpers in some fashion so my guess is it is something to do with that. One code again in the V family refers to black bumpers. VD6 and VD7 is the aluminum supports.

Example all the A codes you see on our cars are related to the seats and so on. It is really unusual in a GN to have power locks and manual windows. Some original owners however if the car was ordered special did not want powr windows. Figured less power options meant less problems.

A dealer ordered car on the other hand more options meant more profits in their pockets. Dealer ordered cars generally are well loaded examples.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned a number of them, some even escaped GM with decent paint.

kirban 2 cents worth

A michigan ordered car with no rear defroster another possible explanation is owner never planned to drive it in the winter which makes sense since winters are brutal up north with salt - rust....or owner knew he was moving to Arizona. You just don't see cars running around Michigan with no rear defroster as a rule.

But in Arizona the car looks rite at home

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I would agree that it was more than likley a chrome car based on the RPO, however, someone did a very good job switching it over to what it is today. I have thought about taking it back to the black and chrome, should be fairly easy to do, since it would have to come apart for much needed paint. On the other side, it keeps moving futher away from original, with every engine mod:rolleyes: so I guess it does not matter. The RPO belongs with the car, so I'll take the 51 codes:cool: Here is a rundown:

AR9- Buckets
AU3- PW Locks
A01- Window Tinted
BS1- Ins, Acoustical Pkg
B94- Ornamentation, Extra Emblem VAR1
CD4- Wiper System Pulse
C60- HVAC Man Controls
DR3- Chrome Mirrors
D55- Console Floor
D71- Speedo Gear
E5Z- Speedo Delete
FE3- Suspension Sport
FFL- ??
GMD-??
GU6- 3.42 Rear
G87- Ring Gear 8.5
J42- Pwr FRT Disc, RR Alum. Drum
J50- Break System Power
K09- Gen 120A
K09- Cruise Control
LC2- 3.8 SFI V6 Torbo, HO
MW9- Auto 4sp
MXO- O/D
NA5- Emission Sys
NP5- Steering Wheel Leather
NQ5- Cap Horn Deluxe
N33- Steering Column Tilt
N89- Wheel, Turbo Alum
PON-??
QYZ- P215/65R12 BL
T47- Turbo Hood
UM6- AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Rev Cass
UQ1- Radio Provisions
U23- Cluster, Inst, Trim OD
U66- Speaker System
U73 Fixed Ant
VD6- Bumper-Ft Alum
VD7- Bumper R Alum
VK3- Lic Plate Ft
YT9- ??
Y56 Grand Touring Pkg
19Q- Blk Body Moldings
19U- Primary Color Lamp Blk
6YX-??
7YU-??
8PZ- ??
828- ??
82I- Int Trim, Med Dk Gray
829- Seat Belt Color Med Dk Gray
9PZ-??

And Pictures

Thanks

heres some of the codes that you are missing, i matched them up against the ones that i have

FFL- flint michigan fisher body plant
GMD- assembled in a gm owned assembly plant
PON- pontiac michigan
YT9- door and quarter design
6YX- front lh spring
8PZ- rear lh spring

id guess that 7YU and 9PZ are the spring codes for the rh side of the car, but mine are different, my option list is on page 6 of this thread, towards the end my rh spring codes are different. i am totally lost on code 828.

id might help you and some others to google "gnttype.org codes"
it may help.

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

Still open to who can hit below 51 codes or score above 98 codes.

Lets look at some of the options. Starting with the 1987 Turbo Regals.

The radio: You had 5 choices first choice as standard (no cost) Also be extremely rare to see today as it was an AM radio. Kind of like having a B & W TV.
With 317 cars behind me. I have had exactly 1. The Code is U63.

However, with 23 years past it is possible you have that code and someone changed out the radio.

Next at $168 ID code UK4 ETR am-fm stereo with seek and scan with no clock feature and no cassette cartridge.

Third the code was UM7 this got you a radio similar to above but it included a clock feature and was $232. So for another roughly $60 you could now tell time in your Buick.

Fourth option code UM6 would set you back $354 this got you the cassette seek and scan stereo ETR am-fm and auto reverse and clock so you could tell time.

Last but not least with the code of UX1 got you the top of the line unit for a ****ping $504 am-stereo fm stereo seek and scan auto reserve with search/repeat clock and Graphic Equalizer option.

Above are only 1987 choices very similar to 1986 with the difference being in 1986 you had 6 choices. The additional radio offered in 1986 was code UP2 Gave you an ETR am-stereo and fm stereo with seek and scan and clock. Price was $252.

They were your choices.

Here are my observations. In the 1987 Dealer album it shows the top of the line radio with the silver border trim around it. Most radios I have seen lack that trim border. As you can imagine during that time frame many other GM radios will interchange. A grey face one probably came out of an F body car. The correct ones had a glossy black face. You got 4 set buttons to preset your stations. Going by memory I think if you hit 2 set buttons at the same time it is possible to set another station. So instead of 4 set stations you would end up with 7. (Try it see if I am rite and let me know). My car has a later model AC Delco CD player so I can't try it.

A common problem besides the cassettes jamming, is the brushed aluminum disc comes unglued from the two left hand knobs.

That is the extend of my knowledge on 1986-1987 Turbo Regal radios. We welcome any additional info.

Kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

We do offer a service to get them repaired.

kirban 2 cents worth

Follow up to the above:

The question that is probably on most owners mind is what later AC Delco radios with CD option works in our cars? In other words a direct bolt in with the same basic black face.

The later units had a change in the plug and antenna lead. This problem to make it plug and play is sold as a jumper kit complete with the antenna lead adopter.
They "pop up usually on ebay from places that sell the later units.

As far as I know every later CD player AC Delco version needs this jumper harness to work.

Thee is about 6 good serial numbers that work in the Turbo Regals. There may be others. While I have listed some of the numbers there are two versions one with no EQ feature which when you find one of them is generally cheaper, and the higher dollar unit that has the EQ feature. Again both with single CD slot. These units bolt in using your factory mounting brackets.

What is also nice about these later AC Delco CD players is you can switch the two original knobs from your original radio to this unit. The end result is a dead near perfect drop in CD unit that looks factory and cna only increase the value of your car since cassettes have basically gone the way of 8-tracks.

Here are the magic numbers you are looking for in one of these units.

#16085434,

There may be a few others but not may. Problem is there is far more different models that won't work or have a grey face. Keep in mind if the unit does not work they can be costly to fix. Repairs can run $150 or more. So if you buy one with no warranty keep that figure in mind.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

That covers my knowledge on radios for the 1986 and 1987 Turbo Regals.
I don't claim to know all the answers, but know enough to keep it interesting.
This thread keeps gaining in popularity.

kirban 2 cents worth

One quick little follow up to my above comments on radios:

First the CD players I refer to have a satin black face as opposed to your original radio which has a glossy black face. Again referring to the original radios.

Second, these same CD players I mention by their part number above may also fit the 1991-1992 GMC Syclone and I would imagine most any other early S-10 style pick up trucks at least through 1991 possibly thru 1993 if they had the same body.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Past owner of many Turbo Regals, but only one with the standard am radio.

Well I couldn't stay away from this thread I guess.:redface:

Kirban said:
Still open to who can hit below 51 codes or score above 98 codes.

Well I finished loading some of my files into a processor so I'd have some decent material to use as a reference and while I didn't find any SPIDs with less than 51 codes yet I did find the following. A 87 Dark Red Limited with 93 codes and an 86 GN with an even 92 codes like mine only this one has YF5 Kalifornia Emissions. Now here's the real shocker.....are you listening my follow Hot Air brethen? Seems that while Dennis was absorbed in the Easy Money IC cars he was totally ignoring the only REAL turbo cars capable of having 98 codes or more. Here is a SPID from an 84 GN. Read it and weep Dennis. 98 codes! I would imagine a Canadian 84 Hot Air would have in excess of 100 codes. And I don't think this car has all of the options either! Hey you did say any car, didn't you?;)

What Do I Win?:confused:

Attachments

• DkRed Limited SPID.jpg
    DkRed Limited SPID.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 86 GN SPID-19.jpg
    86 GN SPID-19.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 84 GN SPID-8.jpg
    84 GN SPID-8.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 312
kirban 2 cents worth

In an effort to keep the facts straight, on the question concerning the trunk iD codes it is open to any 1984-1987 Turbo Regals. Its great that Eric has a file of trunk ID labels. My interest is with actual readers of the forum that have a "car" attached the label. So even if you find a label unless it has a car attached to it and it belongs to a reader on this forum you have missed the point.

As he states above still nothing has shown up below 51 or higher than 98. Appreciate your efforts Eric. Your collection of trunk ID labels far exceeds my own.

We won't bother answering your other comment as I refuse to get into a shooting match on your comments. The response on this thread speaks for itself.

kirbanpeformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Know enough to make it interesting.....

kirban 2 cents worth

Here is the info for the 1985 Turbo Regal radios and 1984 Turbo Regal radios that were offered. We covered the 1986 and 1987 in the above posts.

For 1985 U63 was the am radio at no cost, UU9 was the ETR am-fm stereo radio with no clock for $138, next upgrade was UL1 ETR am-fm stereo radio with clock for $177, next up code UM7 ETR am-fm stereo radio with seek and scan and clock for $222.

The 5th entry was UP2 code ETR am stereo-fm stereo radio with seek and scan and clock for $242. The 6th entry and top of the line was UM6 Cassette with ETR am-fm stereo radio with seek and scan auto reverse and clock for $344.

So based on that the radios were a little cheaper in 1985 in the Turbo Regals.

For 1984 it is rather interesting especially when compared to the 1985 listed above. U63 was am radio and it cost $112. UU9 ETR am-fm stereo radio with no clock $238. Third on the list was UL1 ETR am-fm stereo with clock for $277.

The fourth option was UM7 ETR am-fm stereo radio with seek and scan and clock for $402. The fifth option was UU7 ETR am-fm stereo with cassette and clock $402. (not misprint 2 radios same price)

Last but not least was UU6 Graphic equalizer, cassette and ETR am-fm stereo radio with seek and scan and clock for a ****ping $605 price tag.

All this info is straight out of the Buick Price directory for each given year. Between the 1984 and 1985 you see some strange things. One the am radio was $112 in 1984 whereas later years it was standard. Number two the high dollar radio option in 1984 was pricey at $605 My guess is you won't see many of them in 1984 Turbo Regals.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Appreciate all the private messages and responses.

kirban 2 cents worth

Having covered the available radio options for 1984-1987 Turbo Regals with matching trunk ID codes and prices I thought some of you may be interested in a little history and dates concerning when fm radio and cassettes first became an option in cars.

Perhaps one of the most unique radio features goes back to 1957-1958. Pontiac for one, had a pull out am transistor radio called the trans portable. In the car it worked like a regular am radio, It had a handle so you could remove it and it worked on a battery so it would play out of the car. I am sure since Pontiac had it probably other cars in the GM line up may have had this option as well. I happen to own one of these radios in my collection.

My background being Pontiac/GTOs is why I use that as a reference. FM in the Pontiac model line up first appeared in 1963. While some GTO experts can't agree 100% if it was offered in the 1964 GTO it appears it could have been dealer installed. In 1965 it was an option in a 1965 GTO. When I was in the used parts business these am/fm radios for 1965 would bring $500 or more and that was over 20 years ago!

In 1967 the 8-track made its first appearance in the Pontiacs. Like cassette tapes when they would unwind we would toss them out the window in disgust.

In 1971 the optional cassette player first appeared. That year you could still order an 8-track player as well. (One or the other). Kind of like VHS-DVDs today, with one near the end of the run.

I am sure other GM makes including Buick followed a similar time table. The 8-track option had a short life 1967-1971 roughly, while the cassette option has been around since 1971 as an option and was nearing the end of popularity soon after our cars were built as CD players came about as well as options that included cassette and CDs.

At least one car line (not GM) in the mid 1950s even offered a record player that played a special size record.

(Any guesses on what car model this was?)

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Still looking for a car with under 51 codes or beyond 98 codes in the Turbo Regal family.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Almost without a doubt its pretty safe to say no two turbo regals are alike.

While I'd tend to agree, I'd like to dispute the "no two alike" claim, even though I have no proof at this time. I am an original owner. I have seen two of the others and the story I got from one of the other original owners was that the dealer ordered 5 cars like mine(Mine and four others). I met this guy at the self serve car was one day and we got to talking and he is the one who told me the story of the five of the same. Another owner I came to know is in south Dallas. This car was wrecked and he bought it as such. It has a vin only three from mine. I never looked at the SPID label but will get pix next time I am over there. Unsubstantiated, I know, but a good story none the less. I'll see if I can at least get something next time I go to Dallas and see my friend.

kirban 2 cents worth

Seems strange but possible dealer would order identical cars however, from a marketing stand point I would think it wold be a wiser move for a dealer to have several different equipped GNs at the same time to offer potential customers...but in a high population area such as yours I agree..

From a T-Type and Turbo-T standpoint I think the chances of 2 being 100% dead alike are kind of slim especially after 23 plus years later.

Good comments....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

With the government being in a partnership deal with GM at least the logo can stay the same? "Government Motors"

Chrsyler one thing to be partnership with Mercedes, but if they go and become part of Fiat, I don't think that will have the same "ring" of value in
most American eyes.

I have a 87 GN and i believe it has every available option except for the engine block heater. It has everything mentioned in the above GN posts,power seats,astroroof,concert sound with seek/scan graphic equalizer,twilight,tunsun headlights,body side moldings,power widows and locks,trunk,antenna,digital dash,floor mats,trunk kit on and on but it only has 90 if i added right? So there must have been options in 86 that were not available for 87?

kirban 2 cents worth

To answer sonseeker above:

Remember the trunk ID label is not just about options which do add to the title numbers but includes standard parts as well (eg springs). The rear alone involves several number codes. In 1986 they did have the touch climate control which was not offered in 1987. That is one option that comes to mind. (My notes are at home).

At a 90 count that is very high. Their are some very small cheap options that you may or may not have. Bracket for front license plate, headlites on buzzer, power trunk release, just to name a few. Again 90 is very high as you look over the responses.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keep them coming low number to beat 51 high number to beat 98. Like Eric Fisher implied earlier it may take a Canadian delivered Turbo Regal to beat 98 codes. However, under 51 codes, I know is obtainable based on my personal car with 52 codes.

Translation: less options, equals less weight, means quicker car!

You can't compare different years as the codes that were "standard" changed as well as perhaps some option codes, and how they were added to the label.

Fergit the Canadians let them start their own thread. :p

I believe they can have more codes too due to the export stuff on the sticker.

It's really quite simple, pick a year and type of TR and try to get some info.

And I'll bet there are plenty of identical GN's out there and probably WE'4s too.

Some sort of organization is necessary fer sure. :p

Build the data base logically then go compare years and "types" or "models".

I think the '86 GN's had BC3 and BV6 as codes which are not on the '87's but that's from memory so I'd have to go find some notes and some of Eric's SPID's to verify it.

'87's had GMD which I don't think the '86's had.

I'm sure there's somebody out there with enough cars to check it all out, that'll be the guy emailing Barrett Jackson some year saying the commentators have no clue what they're talking about. :biggrin:

Like the Ferd, Chebby, and Mopar guys do now. ;)

The climate control option I believe was a single code just like the manual A/C so it was a single code for code swap I believe between all the years.

kirban 2 cents worth

On the above post, I am sure each year had codes other years didn't. This thread was not intended as an exact science.. If anyone had a shot of doing an exact science on this code break down it would have been best to do it way back when the cars were fairly new and you could talk to someone at Buick.

The thread was to perk interest and to see what "pops" and see how interesting it has become. In that respect it has worked. Also several of the weird codes have
been figured out. Plus I have put GM prices by the codes that I have covered thus far.

C68 is the code for what GM called Electronic Touch Climate Control. My book shows it only a $150 option for 1986 also available in 1985 same cost factor and 1984 same $150.

It was not offered in 1987 so the code instead of that would be C60 on all the 1987 Turbo Regal models.

As for Canadians why not include them heck not that many went up north and those customers with the exchange rate and duty for parts really pay up for the same cars.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Great comments, keep them coming

Dennis
"Bracket for front license plate, headlites on buzzer, power trunk release, just to name a few."
Ihave these as well,i have scoured for hours to find every possible option and the only one i don't have is engine block heater.Was the trunk kit something dealers installed?

kirban 2 cents worth

To answer above: The trunk kit was B48 and was just $47 factory ordered. Made up I believe of 9 pieces. By the way a misconception today is the factory kit never ever had a section that was glued to the inside trunk lid. That version is an aftermarket version.

At $47 retail it was a good deal because even back then to order it later cost you more. The GNXs had 87 codes as noted earlier by someone else so you at 90 is a lot. Door edge guards B93 at $15 a set they were a steal. The glass options like A01 and AO2? One code is for the tinted windshield other is for the rest of the glass. Optional reading lamps in the headliner? Be C95 code.

I assume you got both front and rear carpet savers?

About all I can think of assuming you have all the main ones like you said. You got G80 for posi rear? VD6 and VD7 aluminum bumper inserts not sure if you had steel inserts what that code would be rite off and if it would just show one code or two codes? Since bumper supports are not an option they don't appear in my price guide I am using. I just know by memory the aluminum codes VD6 and VD7 since they are very desireable.

Last but not least what is the built date on the label on your door jam. month and year?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Got me thinking, see if any of the above works....

kirban 2 cents worth

In an effort to keep the facts straight, on the question concerning the trunk iD codes it is open to any 1984-1987 Turbo Regals. Its great that Eric has a file of trunk ID labels. My interest is with actual readers of the forum that have a "car" attached the label. So even if you find a label unless it has a car attached to it and it belongs to a reader on this forum you have missed the point.

No,no,no. Don't change the rules. Hey that car belonged to somebody at one time. Still belongs to somebody. For all you know it could be right here at GBodyParts.Yes I missed the point. No soup for me! I guess you better count yourself out of your own game as you better prove you are still in possesion of the 51 code car than. Yes I'm going to keep bustin' your ballz but I want you to know it's all in the sake of fun and I hope there are no hard feelings between us. I know I started out sounding like a blow hard(hey what else you going to call a TR lover) and I'd like to apoligize for acting that way.:redface:

Just kidding on the prize.;) See you in BG. Bring that 51 code car!

On the above post, I am sure each year had codes other years didn't. This thread was not intended as an exact science.. If anyone had a shot of doing an exact science on this code break down it would have been best to do it way back when the cars were fairly new and you could talk to someone at Buick.
I do have this SPID label "code break down", down to an exact science.While I couldn't talk to anybody at Buick back when these cars were new, I did make it a mission to discover what I could about how our cars were built. Remember the SPID label is just a minature instruction sheet telling the guys on the assembly line what equipment to put an the car. Not to Hi-Jack Dennis' thread but if anybody has a specific question that Dennis is not familiar with than just PM me and I'll try my best. What I know about SPID codes, and not just the TRs but with all G-Bodys, could probably make for a good reference book the size of War and Peace.:wink:

Just kidding on the Canadians, hence the smiley face. :p

I know they lurk here and occasionally post in broken English, part French. ;)

Eric there were no codes for steel drums right? Or wrong. :biggrin:

Back