You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
im going with 12

each fender 2, trunk 1, rims 4, seats 2, floor mats 2, and the plaque on the dash 1?

I've got YT9 as Fisher Furnished Parts, don't know if it's correct or not.

No clue and I don't care much about the turbo six label, sorry. ;)

Start a thread for 1987 GN's only and lets get a database of all the possible combos. going, just for that year and model.

"They" listen to YOU Dennis. :biggrin:

I've got YT9 as Fisher Furnished Parts, don't know if it's correct or not.

No clue and I don't care much about the turbo six label, sorry. ;)

Start a thread for 1987 GN's only and lets get a database of all the possible combos. going, just for that year and model.

"They" listen to YOU Dennis. :biggrin:

kirban 2 cents worth

Granted this thread is getting lots of "viewers" but responses are easier this way. I like to keep ths one going and I started another generic one called kirban 2 cents under turbo lounge. All I can do to keep 2 straight that are under my name.

I have written 4 books and probably have a dozen DVDs available that really help owners of these cars. To me this is just basic fun. I also do a inner circle each week that reaches 2,500 people that I have to keep interesting as well.

Plus Buick is not all we do as you probably know. You live in Connectuct rite?
Ever hear of Callaway Corvettes?

Every 6-speed shifter they market under their name comes from our company.
Company that makes Callaway spark plug wires makes our Turbo Buick plug wires.

I want to keep the topics and information somewhat "light" as I am not into the indepth stuff like ohers is. Richard Clark for example he would max any test on these cars. His vast knowledge is incredible. He loved to write a book it would be a picnic for him. Do you think he has the time? I must talk to him 2-3 times almost every day.

You thoughts are well taken, but it would be tough for me to do. You could start it with Eric or who ever.

As to your question the YT9 code you could be right because Fisher has to do with the interior example door sills plates carry that logo. 99% sure its interior related.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

In between doing this I am trying to dismantle another "dead" one.

just remembered another? but i guessed once so im out of the game.

kirban 2 cents worth

good effort however part of your answer is wrong in your first posting. Remember clue is original 1986-1987 Grand National.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Who doesn't have a noticeable dent in the crown area of their hood?

My last 87 GN I sold went to Dallas Tx (suburb) to the son of a gentlemen that was one of the origional founders of Motorola...... or so he said.

The door jam sticker showed a build date of 12/87.....

had to be one of the last produced.

kirban 2 cents worth

Your rite about near the very end....if you had the vin umber you could figure it out since the last one built is a known factor. One of my GNs used to belong to one of the Marriot Hotel owners bought it out of Maryland.

I could be wrong but the GN you had probably was titled as a Grand National rather than listed as an option on a Regal.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If you own an original GN don't you wish a little more quality control went into
the pillar areas and roof line so the dents, dimples, impressions, whatever you want to call it were not so visible on a black car?

Dennis, I believe mine was built in the final run of 10,000 as it has a build date of 10/87. It shows the WE2 code on the trunk sticker

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 160
Build date 12-11-1986.I has the trunk kit maybe installed at the dealership? Sticker price was $18,940 so you were very close!!! And it has the floormats that have a wire band around the outside perimeter. Another ?? for you guys, did they have a factory alarm system, or is mine aftermarket installed? Key to disarm and stickers say chapman. I need to find the build sheet i suppose,but since noone has ever sit in the back seat, i was afraid to take it out. Heck it still has small pieces of orignal seat plastic from the factory still attached where dealership removed 99.9% of the plastic!

Build date 12-11-1986.I has the trunk kit maybe installed at the dealership?And it has the floormats that have a wire band around the outside perimeter. Another ?? for you guys, did they have a factory alarm system, or is mine aftermarket installed? Key to disarm and stickers say chapman. I need to find the build sheet i suppose,but since noone has ever sit in the back seat, i was afraid to take it out. Heck it still has small pieces of orignal seat plastic from the factory still attached where dealership removed 99.9% of the plastic!

kirban 2 cents worth

first the code exists on your trunk label stating your car has the factory theft deterrrant system code is UA6. You have to have AU3 code (power trunk release) in order to have that feature. Originally their would be on each side 1/4 glass a small decal about the alarm. This factory system was virtually useless so owners would install a secondary system such as a Chapman which you probably have a key pad for on your key chain.

The trunk kit could be dealer installed if it is the factory trunk kit. Several aftermarket kits have been produced over the years some have a panel for the underside of the trunk lid, others have words or logos embroidered on them.

However the trunk kit does not appear as a code on your label that you posted. That plastic you talk about can still be found on some car seat fame today...what some dealers do forget to remove is the clear plastic over the applique panels on the actual dash cluster. If that is still intact it sometimes is tough to remove without tearing it in a million pieces.. In some cases they did part of the dash and not others.

About it for my knowledge on your questions

kirbanpeformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
owned a few......still got a 700 mile GN for sale.

Dennis, I believe mine was built in the final run of 10,000 as it has a build date of 10/87. It shows the WE2 code on the trunk sticker

Kirban 2 cents worth

See next post after the one that follows yours as I don't know if posting your quote limits my space or number of words or not.

This is all new to me...being on a forum. I

kirban 2 cents worth

Now that readers are getting more familar with their car. Let me throw this question out there.

It is a relatively easy question so Eric and Salvage V6 please hold back to see how this flies so others have a chance.

On an original 1986 or 1987 Grand National the power six or turbo six emblem appears a total of how many times on the car?

Game clock is ticking.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Trying to keep my closing line different each time.
Past owner of a number of 1986-1987 Turbo Regals.

10:biggrin:

buickbert

kirban 2 cents worth

Your rite about near the very end....if you had the vin umber you could figure it out since the last one built is a known factor. One of my GNs used to belong to one of the Marriot Hotel owners bought it out of Maryland.

I could be wrong but the GN you had probably was titled as a Grand National rather than listed as an option on a Regal.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If you own an original GN don't you wish a little more quality control went into
the pillar areas and roof line so the dents, dimples, impressions, whatever you want to call it were not so visible on a black car?

Well it wasnt the last as we know where that car is at.... but now you have my curiosity up.... gonna have to go dig through some boxes. Maybe the Kansas DMV could help me:)

kirban 2 cents worth

To answer flintly518a questions:

I found some of my notes including a copy of the original Buick Product Information sheet dated 10-19-87

It says 1987 Grand National Coupe Extended run. The bulletin says Buick 1988.
The MSRP price was $16,154 which combined the basic coupe, the WE2 package and SA option group content.

It goes on and lists what is available etc.

here is a point of interest I have another Buick letter showing that in March 2nd of that year they wanted to investigate the feasibility and required tooling for building 10,000 additoinal 1987 "G" Grand Nationals when the assembly plant closes.

This letter wanted confirmation of: assembly capability, parts available, release feasibility, mass and fuel economy, certification.

So you an see they started to look at this in March of 1987.

There is a lot more to this but here are some high points. To satisfy the strong market demand through the end of December 1987.

Powertrain availability looked good, however rear axles could be an issue and they needed to find a new axle cover source.

Here more tidbits:

They figured they could build as many as 11,000.

They would decrease Chev and Olds volume,

No overtime and no lost production days

Production would run until Christmas holiday begins 12-22-87.

They figure they could do 125 engines a day, axles, and rear spoilers

I got another letter dated March 20th 1987 which raised the following points

They figured on April 13th they could start increasing production from 100 a day to 1125 a day.

Turbo engines could go from 115 day to 125 a day and end June 19th 1987. Engine line is down from June 19th to July 13th 1987 due to line conversion to 3800 engine.

This next quote from March 20th is very interesting.

The added volume would be Grand National, Regal T-Types, and the WE4 option. First it was not called T-Type in 1987. Second I believe in actual produciton only the GN production got extended by 10,000 units to keep things simple.

Remember at the time Buick had several things working against them. The plant in Flint was old, worker morale was very low as plant was closing now you are pushing workers to do more.

Plus no engine plant overtime is to be spend on this effort.

Also no T-Top orders can exceed more than 10 per hour for all G Body Divisions.
(Probably because anymore than that adjustments would nor be made to properly seat them and elminate wind noise). My guess.

Parts forcasts were also increased to support 125 builds per day up from 100 per day. Remember no overtime.

So, from a consumer stand point now in the same alotted time frame they are producing 25 more Grand Nationals. Kind of explains paint issues body fit issues etc......at least during 1987.

I go another Buick letter requesting changes for this run.

Two different pakcages offered uses 8 options

Thirteen options would be standard

Sixteen options would be dropped.

In simple terms that means in the last 10,000 produced you did not get many choices. They wanted to simplfy things and or probably had shortage issues with some of the current options. Again I am guessing here.

None of us were in on these meetings but fortunately I got the letters to back everything up that I have stated above.

They wanted to have on hand by June 19th of that year 1,500 turbo engines.

See next post to continue

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Yes, all above is true according to Buick information.

kirban 2 cents again

Now what is probably on everyones mind if their car is part of the last 10,000 run is what 16 options were not offered?

Here is the list:

AO2 tinted windshield,

B32, B33, B34, B35 these are two versions of carpet savers front & rear.

B48 that 9 piece trunk kit

CF5 the astroroof

KO5 engine block heater (probably because of lack of demand)

QYH This is the white letter tire option (never understood this option)

T82 twil sentinel (again probably because of lack of demand)

UK4 am/fm stereo less clock

UL5 Radio delete

UM7 am/fm stereo with clock

UX1 am/fm with EQ

U63 am radio

U52 the digital dash

That makes 16 options you could not get.

They killed of 4 radios so that left one choice for a radio UM6 which was am/fm stereo with seek and scan and a clock so you can tell time.

In this same letter it states production would run from August 3rd 1987 thru December.

Now assuming they stuck to the points I mention in this post and the post above you can check your build date see if it falls after August (8 month) 1987. If it does one quick reference is check what radio is in your GN. Code should be UM6.

With 16 options deleted it virtually means that having anywhere near 90 plus trunk ID codes is not possible.

Again if they stuck to the plan and no every car meant those requirements it should be true. But none of us were there when they were building them.

The info I have on this topic covers like 15 pages in its original format. I sold some of these booklets in the past if any interest send me a pm denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Again I appreciate everyones interest....will try and keep fresh info coming.

10:biggrin:

buickbert

Nope 10 is the wrong answer

Only get one guess....question is still out there on an original 1986-1987 Grand National the turbo 6 or power 6 whatever you want to call it appears how many times on your Grand National.

Really not that tough a question......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I know the answer.....

Dennis, Thanks for all the info on the final 10,000. Hope you didnt end up with carpal tunnel typing all that out. My guess on the 6 would be 11

# of power 6 symbols 86 87 gn

think 12 was already said but locations were wrong

2 front fenders
1 decklid
4 centercaps
1 dash plaque
2 headrests
1 oil and filter notice sticker
1 hood liner (insulation pad)

think 12 was already said but locations were wrong

2 front fenders
1 decklid