You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

12 is correct as is the locations noted by 38 turbo.....11 in full color and 1 not in color on the hood pad.

Some thoughts as to why the 4 on the center caps overlap differently than the other locations.

As stated earlier Molly did the logo design as well as several others for Buick. Nobody knows for sure but according to Molly someone at Buick also did some similar power six logo and the thinking is somehow that design got into the mix
or perhaps they at one point were not going to go with his design which is the one
that shows up the most.

Now here is the next question:

I know its on a 1987 original Turbo Regal where is a very similar decal used? By similar I mean to the one mentioned in the previous contest the power 6 or turbo 6 as some refer to it as?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

fortunately I am a fast typist....

kirban 2 cents worth

I want to clear up something about the 16 deleted options on the last 10,000 GNs built. Obviousily you would not be down by 16 options since 4 options are radio and 4 are carpet savers. Of the 16 laid out you would be down by about 7 on a trunk ID label count.

Also since it was not possible to get a astroroof on the last 10,000 but T-Tops was still available you can clearly se why more T-Top GNs are around over astroroof cars.

Remember dealers for the most part loaded up cars they ordered as it spelled more profit.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Stlll have not seen under 52 codes or over 98 codes. The under I know is a possibility, over 98 may be a tougher position to hit.

You would be amazed if you took a original GN wheel no weights no tire and see how out of balance some of them are from the factory.

While Lexus can use a small marble on the body lines, Our cars would have trouble keeping a golf ball from falling in.

My effort to keep different tag lines under my name rather than list cars I own or did own or want to own or my neighbor owns...

My tag lines are meant as jokes so remember that......I

kirban 2 cents worth

good idea but since much of what I have to say or comment on ties into the ID numbers and judging from the high count of viewers I think most viewers are drawn to this post or will be.

Life is all about numbers.....

I have another thread called kirban 2 cents worth that I also started the other day.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Every Turbo Regal especially GNs with black bumpers you can usually see two indentions in it near the center.

Trivia question,

Is it coil pack/module?

kirban 2 cents worth

You're rite coil pack decal as we still have some original ones we sell. Years ago I bought a bunch of the left over rolls from someone at Buick. Rare to see the other decal that is on the coil pack the date one.

Seems we got a smart group here.

One contest I know most would flunk would be hard to pose into a question. That is completely remove the jack from your trunk and put it back in 100% exactly like GM did.

Last question of the nite:

Speaking of the jack, you got a black plastic-like knob that secures your spare in place. The knob has a slot in it. Does it serve a purpose, if so what is the purpose?

The clock is ticking....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Gaining a real learning curve here....

I looked at it not sure what its for either for tool that assembler at factory used to
Torque it down. Or looks like you might be able to stick your aaa card in there so you got a
Number to call to get someone to figure out how to use that junk

I looked at it not sure what its for either for tool that assembler at factory used to
Torque it down. Or looks like you might be able to stick your aaa card in there so you got a
Number to call to get someone to figure out how to use that junk

kirban 2 cents worth

You are on the right track with part of your answer but have not hit the exact purpose yet....humourous thoughts though!

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Ones I owned wish I still had: 1967 ram air 400 firebird 4-speed, appears on a Firebird poster from early 1970s. One of the quickest cars I have ever owned.
Factory cast iron headers, functional ram air, hood tach etc. Extremely rare as most Firebird owners would know.

kirban 2 cents worth

Moving a long to the next area of interest related to codes/options/numbers.

Besides that all important trunk ID label that has been covered in depth, there is two more information sheets that are possible to find in your Turbo Regal. In previous posts in this thread you can see what I am referring to.

Providing a previous owner has not removed them, the one that would probably be in the best shape can usually be found tucked usually in the rear seat cushion. Most owners discover this one when they install the rear seat brace kit since you have to remove the seat to accomplish this project. This one is called Department Cushion Room Bcast Station rrst. (Not my spelling GM's)

The one that is usually difficult to find in good condition is in one of the doors most times the drivers door. Condition can vary depending on how good the door sill weatherstrips have been as moisture can ruin this sheet of info. Plus neither was printed on high quality paper. This one is titled Department Door Pad Bcast Station Rpad. (Again GMs spelling not mine).

I am some every manufacturer has their own system. Case in point years ago I had a Jeep Cherokee and replaced a headlite and found the sheet tucked in the headlite bucket.

In the early 1990s some of you may remember my friend Pete Serio better known as the window rattle guy. He worked on customers cars at the GS Nats and would find door sheets in the doors.

Pete Serio actually worked at a GM dealership when he was younger and his job was the weird stuff that most mechanics did not want to deal with. Cars with rattles, water leaks, etc. It takes a special knack to spend time finding answers to these problems. While its true water only runs down hill problem is locating where it is entering the car. One reason he was really good at doing window rattle problems on Turbo Regals. He does not do it anymore.

Both of these sheets in the last area will show your VIN number which like the trunk ID label shows the VIN number "ties" everything together.

Later I will have more info on these two "broadcast" sheets. As usual we welcome any comments/questions. If someone could post a photo of both or at last the door one that would be nice then I could refer to it.

The door one was usually taped to the paper weathershield inside the door. My term for that insulation not GMs.

Still no one has gotten the rite answer on the black knob that secures the spare tire. What is the purpose of the slot on that black knob?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Another car I owned wish I still had. 1964 Lark 2 door lite weight 2-door sedan 4 speed, 1957 Pontiac rear end, Avanti R3 powerplant dual quads supercharged. Totally stock outside in appearance and a real eye opener from a dead stop. Was at one time a race car out of California. Like Turbo Regals a supercharged V8 back in the early 1970s had a unique sound that most street racers were not familar with let alone a Studebaker. Had a quiet dual exhaust black 15 by 7 rims with little studebaker "dogdish" hubcaps on it. White outside, green vinyl bench seat rubber molded floor covering. Sold it for less than 3 grand. R3 heads in the Studebaker world is the "holy grail" in rare performance. I know that now, did not know it then. Car was a lot of fun to say the least.

kirban 2 cents worth

One quick side note what I wrote above refers to the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals as its those cars I am most familar with. I am not sure exactly what the 1984-1985 Turbo Regals would have for these two sheets. My guess is they probably are somewhat the same in appearance and data.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Another one I owned wish I still had: 1949 Olds 76 Club coupe very similar to the one at the GS Nats last year that had the Turbo powerplant. The 76 model was the lightest and cheapest Olds in 1949. Going by memory I think Olds was one of the first cars to have an overhead V8 engine. Extremely rare car today. Mine had a 1957 Olds V8 engine with a 1953 hydro 4-speed trans to it. Black outside shifted very hard. Had those stupid knee action shocks that would not hold fluid. Converted to 12 volt system. Again pretty quick little package in its day.

kirban 2 cents worth

Few corrections to my above the door broadcast sheet reads:

Department Door Pad Bcast Station Lpad. Not rpad.

I have another door sheet and it reads:

Department Door Pad Bcast

So their is variations in the heading and on the two I have everything else reads the same for headings...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

With all the doom & gloom be nice if the USA newspaper printed comics.

kirban 2 cents worth

Still no correct answer to the question I threw out in this thread.

The black knob that secures the spare in the trunk is slotted for what purpose?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Another car from my past wish I still had 1949 Ford business coupe think they are called "shoeboxes" today. Like my Olds was the cheapest lightest model had small side quarter windows like my Olds I had.

As a kid I guess I was attracted to cheap lite weight models. Radio, clock delete was common heck even a heater delete was possible. Had mine back in 1964. Your parents will tell you back in the early days of cars black was a fairly common color. Henry Fords famous quote was you can have any color you want as long as its black.

Could say he cared about the environment somewhat. He used the crates from the engines to make the floors in the Model A and Ts....

slot in plastic knob answer

Well I now have the answer and would have had it
Yesterday if I would have taken the time to read the
Knob while I was looking at it. The slot in the knob
Is to assist in removing the wing nut from the jack

kirban 2 cents worth

You are correct. Wondering how many turbo owners realize that. Probably not many even noticed there is a slot. I should have offered a prize or something. Send me a pm with your full address will send you a gift....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Past cars I have owned: Again high school 1965 I had a real nice 1956 Ford Crown Vic black and white exterior & interior. Paid $500 for it. Motor was gunked up with oil sludge common problem with those first OHV engines poor oil circulation to the rocker shafts. (I know a little more about oil now!)

Fortunately had my 1949 Ford at the same time. Pulled the Crown up to a tree on school property without asking anyone, chain to a tree and pulled the engine out....took me 2 weeks to get it back together. No one at the school ever said a word. Boy today they would be all over you if you did something like that on school property.....funny thing is the chain I used was still there several years later when my sisters were in high school.

kirban 2 cents worth

Getting back on track. On a WE4 I took partially apart today the door broadcast sheet was tapped inside the drivers door to the metal brace that is attached to the bottom 1/2 of your door panel.

As we mentioned before this broadcast sheet has your 17 digit VIN number as the last bit of info on the sheet. Basically this broadcast sheet covers the information related to what the assembly workers would need to know to install in the door or on the door. Such as trim, color, options like power locks power windows speaker system (concert sound II). Mirrors are also noted.

I have 2 different door broadcast sheets I am looking at and under power locks one shows UA6 which is the code for theft deterrent which automatically means power locks. The other shows AU3 for power locks so that car did not get the factory theft deterrent.

Under door speakers both cars got concert sound II code UW4. This was a $95 option in the 1987 price guide. So that code is listed on the broadcast sheet.

Another heading is Acoustic has code BS1. In my breakdown book it states insulation package. (No great expense here for GM).

There is a model number assigned, a body number, line number, seq # plus a date
assigned so they could track the car. Another heading is crtsy lt which probably stands for courtsey lites. This would get the code for Limited, if the Limited had C90 the door courtsey and warning lite package.

So basically the door broadcast sheet covers anything and everything related to the doors. It would be interesting to see a door broadcast sheet for a car that has chrome mirrors DR3 to see if was done to match the broadcast sheet or perhaps was a mistake. I never had my door panels off so my door broadcast sheet should still be intact. I do have my cushion one. I just don't want to disturb my door panel to find out.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Breaking news Fast & Furious had the biggest weekend amount this year of any movie. It did 72.5 million in the US and over 30 million overseas.

I am sure there will be an "uptick" in interest in Grand Nationals with that kind of exposure regardless of how much screen time the car had. Producers were smart incorporating the new hip cars for the kids, lst generation of performance cars Chevelle etc, and the premier car from the 1980s - Grand National.

Critics panned it as you would expect, but it didn't deter the core market. Too bad we didn't buy into investing in the production. Can't remember exactly what parts they bought from us last summer for the cars besides the fender louvers.

What also is rare is seeing a 1987 Turbo-T with the wide stainless trim that normally appeared on a chrome package Turbo T Limited.

I have a 87 T with the wide trim. It also has the wide trim on top of the door by the window felts.

DSCF6963.jpg

OptionsList.jpg

AR9 seats, reclining bucket
AU3 power door locks
A01 tinted glass
A31 power windows
BS1 Insulation, Acoustical Pkg
B32 mats: front carpet savers
B33 mats: rear carpet savers
B51 Molding, Rocker, Extra Wide
B85 Ornimentation, Extr Mldg Belt Reveal
B94 Ornimentation, Extr Emblem, Body, Vari
CD4 windshield wiper 2-speed with low speed delay feature
C60 air conditioning, manual
D35 mirrors, outside rear view; left remote - right manual
D55 console, full length, operating
D7I GEAR, SPEEDOMETER DRIVEN; #25524925
E5Z Speedo Adapter Delete (analog gage cluster only)
FE3 Suspension System, Sport
FFL Flint MI-Body tub assembly plant
GMD General Motors Division-Car made by GM
GU6 Axle, 3.42 Ratio
G80 limited slip differential
G87 Ring Gear, 8.50 Inch
J41 Brake System, Pwr, Fnt Disc, RR Drum, Cast Iron
J50 Brake System Power
K09 Generator 120 Amp
K34 Cruise Control, Automatic, Electronic
LC2 3.8L (231cid) sfi turbocharged v6 with intercooler
MW9 Transmission, Auto 4 Spd. THM 200, Conv Clutch
MX0 automatic transmission with overdrive
NA5 Emission System, Federal, Tier 0
NP5 Steering Wheel, Leather Wrapped
NQ5 Cap, Strg whl Horn, Deluxe
N33 Steering Column, Tilt Type
N89 Wheel, Turbo Aluminum
PON Pontiac MI-Final assembly plant
QYH Tire All. P215/65R15/N WOL R/PE ST TL HWY
T47 Hood, Turbo
UM6 Radio, AM/FM Stereo, Seek.Scan, Auto Rev Cass
UQ1 Radio Provisions, for Stereo
U23 Cluster, Inst, Trip Odom
U66 Speaker System, 4,, Dual FRT DASH MTD, Dual EXTD RGE
U75 Antenna, Power, Radio
VD6 Bumper Provisions, Frt, Aluminum
VD7 Bumper Provisions, RR, Aluminum
VK3 License Plate, FRT Mounting PKG
V73 ???
WF6 WF6 exterior moulding package with wide rocker panel+belt reveal
YT9 Option PKG, Fisher Furnished Part
Y56 T' package
12U Primary Color, Exterior Silver Met (91)
27B Trim Combination, Cloth, DK Blue (B)
27I ???
279 ???
31Q ???
6YX ???
7YW ???
8PZ ???
9PZ ???

kirban 2 cents worth

In reviewing the above post. Very unusual to have the wide stainless trim on a non Limited Turbo Regal. I have only had maybe 3 cars like this. One was a silver with a burgundy interior with astroroof and wide trim. Very unique combo. So is your car being silver outside against dark blue interior. Plus with a built date 9-86 an early production 1987 model.

This is my opinion, but that dark blue interior is one of the best color interiors also holds up better than the grey interior does. In looking at your car and your codes: I am going to say the pinstripe is not factory and neither is the body side molding factory installed based on the trunk codes presented.

The pinstripes do break under the mirror which would be correct. Factory would be painted and be a two digit code and end in the letter A. I can't tell if your pinstripe are painted or a decal.

Here is the weird thing. The wide molding is package WF6 which is the wide stainless across the bottom of the car with the belt moldings as stated. The cost for this was $110 and was not available on a WO2 package or WE2 for obvious reasons.

What strikes me as unusual is in the codes above B51 and B85 codes. They may have broken it down for the assembly people. Still seems funny they list it twice two different ways.

On your ??? codes V73 has something to do with US/Canada. Your 7YW refers to your front rite spring and 8PZ is for your left front spring. The code 9PZ has to do with rear springs. In other words those codes refer to coil springs. If you look at other ID labels in this thread those codes are fairly consistent. My personal car has the exact same codes as yours for the coil springs.

The code 271 is for regal blue interior. The 31Q says something about a molding but I found this in a 1998 Productions booklet so it may or may not make sense on your car. However, I am 99% certain I am pretty much dead on for the ones I mentioned above.

My conclusion, you got a fairly low optioned car, great color combo lite weight bumper reinforcements (VD6 and VD7), and an early production date.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Welcome comments/compliments/questions/ your trunk ID's.

I know you're still searching for < 52 or > 98 codes which it looks like at this point would be a stripper turbo-t/t-type for under 52 or a loaded GN possibly from Canada for >98.

Would like to know what would be the lowest possible number of codes for a GN since in all likelihood they had a lot of individual codes for the blackout trim pieces. I'm gonna guess low 70s but not sure. Anyone know?

kirban 2 cents worth

In looking at your car and your codes: I am going to say the pinstripe is not factory and neither is the body side molding factory installed based on the trunk codes presented.

The pinstripes do break under the mirror which would be correct. Factory would be painted and be a two digit code and end in the letter A. I can't tell if your pinstripe are painted or a decal.

Here is the weird thing. The wide molding is package WF6 which is the wide stainless across the bottom of the car with the belt moldings as stated. The cost for this was $110 and was not available on a WO2 package or WE2 for obvious reasons.

What strikes me as unusual is in the codes above B51 and B85 codes. They may have broken it down for the assembly people. Still seems funny they list it twice two different ways.

Thanks for your input!

Just to clear thing up a little...the body side moldings were chromed with blue inserts (I think it was blue)...not sure if they are original though. I peeled them off because they were very weathered. The door moldings you see in that picture...I painted them on because after I peeled the moldings off it left paint lines. Someone just taped over the moldings when they painted the car.

The pinstripe is not painted on. The car has been painted at least once before so the pinstripe probably was put on there then. I could ask the lady I bought it from since she was the original owner. I just bought the car Dec 2008.

Also...is white letter tires suppose to be on this car?

Back