You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
31Q seems to be a code referring to molding colors. Maybe that is the blue molding color...dunno. Check out this site... http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/gmrpocodes0through4.html

kirban 2 cents worth

Here is the weird thing. The wide molding is package WF6 which is the wide stainless across the bottom of the car with the belt moldings as stated. The cost for this was $110 and was not available on a WO2 package or WE2 for obvious reasons.

What strikes me as unusual is in the codes above B51 and B85 codes. They may have broken it down for the assembly people. Still seems funny they list it twice two different ways.

Maybe it could be that...

B51 Molding, Rocker, Extra Wide = (obviously wide stainless at bottom of car)

B85 Ornimentation, Extr Mldg Belt Reveal = (door moldings in center of doors and the wide chrome on top of the door)

B94 Ornimentation, Extr Emblem, Body, Vari = (hood orniment and the square emblems behind rear quarter glass and the one around the trunk lock)

Just tossing things out there...hmm.

I know you're still searching for < 52 or > 98 codes which it looks like at this point would be a stripper turbo-t/t-type for under 52 or a loaded GN possibly from Canada for >98.

Would like to know what would be the lowest possible number of codes for a GN since in all likelihood they had a lot of individual codes for the blackout trim pieces. I'm gonna guess low 70s but not sure. Anyone know?

Probably as my WE4 has 79 and it isn't very loaded. Same black outWO2 trim codes.

kirban 2 cents worth

Will get to the above questions later tonite. Meantime here is the next Turbo Buick trivia question:

The hood shocks, or hood lifts whatever terminology you call them. The factory method has the outer piston up towards the hood. Most cars that use a hood lift shock set up install them that same way. Every year at the GS Nats I can always see 1-2 owners that have them backwards.

Question are they installed with the outer piston upward?

To encourage more participants I will give a $30 value gift to lst person that supplies me with the answer I am seeking. Posted in this thread. Not eligible would be any one who works for any Buick related company to keep it fair.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cars owned: Early 1970s, bought a used 1963 Corvette split window coupe 4 speed 327. Get this never ever punched in the dash for a radio! Amazing even in my younger days I was smarter enough to simply install a radio under the passenger seat. More stories on this later.

Thanks for your input!

Just to clear thing up a little...the body side moldings were chromed with blue inserts (I think it was blue)...not sure if they are original though. I peeled them off because they were very weathered. The door moldings you see in that picture...I painted them on because after I peeled the moldings off it left paint lines. Someone just taped over the moldings when they painted the car.

The pinstripe is not painted on. The car has been painted at least once before so the pinstripe probably was put on there then. I could ask the lady I bought it from since she was the original owner. I just bought the car Dec 2008.

Also...is white letter tires suppose to be on this car?

kirban 2 cents worth

Body side moldings no code in your list shows up for a body side molding. So, in that case whatever body side molding was on the car was probably dealer installed after it was factory built. Based on what you describe it sounds like you did have a factory style body side molding as they did look bad after a few years they had a clear coating of some sort on them. Some aftermarket body side moldings are drilled into the car. It could have been ordered from the dealer and installed then.

Neither is their a code for the pinstripe. It is fairly common for taped pinstripes to show up on repaints, as it breaks up the panels. Code for white letter tires is QYH and lists for $102. Typing in this quote I can't see if you have that code in your listing or not. A matter of personal taste but, not many Turbo Regals look good with white letters on the tires again just my opinion.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Writers block to think of something for here.

Probably as my WE4 has 79 and it isn't very loaded. Same black outWO2 trim codes.

kirban 2 cents worth

I don't think that is true as the Grand National was a single code which automatically would get the WO2 trim parts. A Grand National trunk ID does not even list the WO2 code. However, a WE4 does list a WO2 code. Makes sense? Reason I know this is I have one of each label currently in front of me off two dead ones on my driveway.

On the other hand, my thinking is most original buyers of Grand Nationals since they were going for the top turbo Regal model probably wanted as many options as they could afford at the time or if it was dealer ordered since profits are tied into price dealers probably had mostly loaded examples for sale.

So, we could break it down later seeking what would be a low option GN. I had a 1986 that had no tilt and crank windows. Weird. Can't member much else about the car but it was a low budget example for sure.

Obviously when the GNs were built the WE2 code must have tipped off the workers that they received all black trim and matching bumpers. I don't think they have a separate code for the rear spoiler for example. If they do I honestly don't know what code it would be. This would prove my point if no code exist for the rear spoiler on your trunk ID label. Obviously they would have to know to drill the trunk lid. Now, the rear spoiler code may show up in 1986 because of the WH1 package but again probably not as it is listed under the WH1 code as one of the items included, for 1986 and was a $403 price.

Just covering all the bases/possibilities. Don't claim to know it all but certainily have literature to back up most of what I claim as being correct.

So in review WE2 and WH1 cars it was pretty much set in stone what was included in those packages and they did not need to list individual codes for trim or rear spoilers from what I gather.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Another car I had years ago, model 544 Volvo anyone know what they are? I had a Judson supercharger on it. Same time I owned a supercharged Lark.

I can't wait to talk about seats and related codes. Besides the fact they break.

kirban 2 cents worth

Code for white letter tires is QYH and lists for $102. Typing in this quote I can't see if you have that code in your listing or not. A matter of personal taste but, not many Turbo Regals look good with white letters on the tires again just my opinion.

Yes, mine had the white letter tire option...:rolleyes: I don't really like them either...

trivia

yes i would say they are factory installed with outer pistion up meaning the larger cylinder of the shock is attached to the hood

kirban 2 cents worth

I need to reword my trivia question clearing up my goof.

Here goes:

WHY are the hood shocks installed with the piston/cylinder upward toward the hood? Most other cars etc also install them this way. They do this for a reason. What is the reason?

$30 gift to the first correct answer that appears in this thread that agrees with my answer.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

On a side note latest Hemmings Muscle Machines has Gary Wells fine 1987 white Turbo-T in it and although it is called in the article a Limited it has the wide trim that is shown on the car pictured above on this page. Hemmings is usually pretty accurate in their articles. They did one on our company a few years back and I remember them sending me a proof to look at prior to going to press.

So they push downward resisting the weight of the hood when the hood is open???? Paul

Hood shocks are done that way so the gas stays in them.

" I don't think that is true as the Grand National was a single code which automatically would get the WO2 trim parts. "

That's not true at all, GN's had individual black out codes such as BU8 for Black exterior door handles, BX5 for black roof drip molding, B71 black wheel molding and a few more.

There was no one code on a GN for the WO2 type stuff pertaining to a 1987 GN.

Which is certainly why an individual year and car data base is needed. ;)

hood shocks

The gas charged shocks also have a small amount of hyd oil in them. mounted correctly cyl. end (bigger end up ) the hyd fluid adds the extra resistance near the end of the shocks stroke (hood open) if mounted with piston end up (small end) hyd oil would migrate to other end of the shock and cause the extra resistance at the begining of the shocks stroke (hood closed)
would probally make hood a little harder to close

kirban 2 cents worth

I will have the answer later tonite I hope, as I want to verify a few things. There is another reason I was seeking about why they are mounted in the direction they are mounted. Actually a more simplier reason from what I have been told. However, before I commit to any of the above I want to check on the above answers.

As for the various codes associated with a Grand National mentioned by Salvage V6. I agree however, I have a trunk ID label 1987 has WE2 code for GN but does not have the black handle code BU8. I think you will agree that their doesn't seem to be any consistancy with the codes that are non option related. If every WE2 simply had a WO2 code included that would pretty much entail most of the black trim parts exception being the bumpers and side markers in the headlite bezels.

This thread is making readers think and contribute which is good, the idea to compile an exact science of codes would be pain staking and time consuming and would probably still contain errors.

You go into a dealer today they want your VIN number and from that they can determine anything related to your car. In the BMW world they were famous for making changes in the middle of the year so the VIN number is critical if you ever have to buy a part for a BMW. Other car lines may be similar.

Again I still have the question out there about mounting hood shocks and I am not saying any one is right or wrong yet. But, their is another reason and let see if you can figure it out.

On a side note related to the fluid...had a car that the fluid had leaked out weird because on the garage floor the puddle did not show up under the engine so it was not something you think of immediately of what fluid would leak that was off center from the engine. It was the passenger side so it was not power steering related or brake fluid related. It was a hood shock yet hood still opened and stayed up.

I already have the next trivia question worked out so stay tuned...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

This thread seems to be a hit with the readers....

kirban 2 cents worth

Nobody has hit the rite answer yet. None of the above answers is correct. First they are gas filled, with a small amount of hyd. fluid which is what I saw on the ground that I mentioned in previous post.

The hood shocks functions perfectly in either direction since it is gas filled. Keep trying. If i didn't they would have an arrow on them stating to install one way.

So before I introduce the next trivia question I am still seeking the answer to this one. Almost every vehicle that uses this principle mounts them this way in this same direction with few exceptions that I am sure Salvage V6 will bring to my attention.....(kidding)

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My source to verify my facts is Richard Clark.

trivia: I really don't know how to word it but i would think it has to do with the resistance on the hydraclics(sp) portion of the shocks. Would be greater in one direction than the other?

I had mine in upside down for years. :p

Don't care much about the hood shocks since they only last 3-4 years up here and I only change out the worst side, one at a time due to $$$. ;)

However we are now getting somewhere with codes for the 1987 GN.

Mine has:

B71 MOLDING WHL OPENING, COLORED

B72 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR MLDG BELT REVEAL' COLORED

B77 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR MLDG W/S REVEAL, COLORED

B79 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR RR END

B89 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR MLDG, RR WINDOW REVEAL

One would think all the other 87 GN's would have those also, well all the black ones at least. :biggrin:

Maybe the late build cars were RPO'd differently? :confused:

Other code I typed was a typo. it's BV8 for the door handle and lock cyl. :rolleyes:

Hopefully they all have those B codes as "standard" for an 87 GN.

Excepting the optional equipment B codes for side molding, and sunroof trim, and door edge guards.

trivia: I really don't know how to word it but i would think it has to do with the resistance on the hydraclics(sp) portion of the shocks. Would be greater in one direction than the other?

kirban 2 cents worth

Your answer is wrong, as I stated earlier if if direction was an issue the gas shocks would have an arrow on it stating it only works one direction.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Seems to be a tough question

I had mine in upside down for years. :p

Don't care much about the hood shocks since they only last 3-4 years up here and I only change out the worst side, one at a time due to $$$. ;)

However we are now getting somewhere with codes for the 1987 GN.

Mine has:

B71 MOLDING WHL OPENING, COLORED

B72 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR MLDG BELT REVEAL' COLORED

B77 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR MLDG W/S REVEAL, COLORED

B79 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR RR END

B89 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR MLDG, RR WINDOW REVEAL

One would think all the other 87 GN's would have those also, well all the black ones at least. :biggrin:

Maybe the late build cars were RPO'd differently? :confused:

Other code I typed was a typo. it's BV8 for the door handle and lock cyl. :rolleyes:

Hopefully they all have those B codes as "standard" for an 87 GN.

Excepting the optional equipment B codes for side molding, and sunroof trim, and door edge guards.

Probably by now most readers of this thread, see a trend with the codes. Certain starting letters refer to basically related items. As noted above in this quote.

Like I said before its too bad me included never looked at this a lot deeper when the info would have been more readily available. Granted I had a good connection at one time at Flint but it was hard even for him to break down what was related to Turbo Regals from regular V6 and V8 applications. Plus doing it for me was not exactly a "paying job" for him.

Having your hood shocks upside down for 3 years proves my point that direction is not an issue for function.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Seemed to have stumped the group.

kirban 2 cents worth

I went outside earlier and checked 6 of my personal cars. They range from a 1987 turbo-T up thru a 2003 car. All have gas hood shocks or trunk or tail gates. All the gas shocks are positioned with the larger piston upward.

The answer I am seeking is not that technical. Obviousily almost every car company installs them this way for some reason. The reason is nothing I have in writing I was just told it by someone. But as Salvage V6 pointed out his has been upside down for years, so operation is not affected no matter which direction they go.

Side note: The supplier we use for the ones we buy actually developed the gas shock back in the late 1950s and is an OEM supplier.

I will then share the reason this even came up as it involves a project I did a few months ago.

We will take second guesses from anyone that has responded already. Sorry Gbody, want to keep it just for non Buick companies to participate. You can send me a pm if you want as to your guess.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Prize is still up for grabs....I don't have all the answers, but I am sure I am hitting on some things people don't know.

Back