You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

Moving a long lets next look at the seat options starting with the 1987 and working backwards. Like I did with the radios. Most will agree, that the bucket seats was the most popular option in the 1987 Turbo-Ts except of course not in the Limited Turbo-T versions. The trunk ID code for bucket seats was AR9 which included the console was $195. You would also have the console code which is D55. Granted under the WE2 code for Grand National you would still have these two codes on your trunk ID label.

For whatever reason they only put an ashtray on the back of the drivers seat back and not the passenger in the bucket seats. The same is not true on the Limited pillow style seats they got an ash try on both seat backs as did the earlier Lear Siegler seats.

Not a great idea to encourage smokers in the back seat with no windows that go down!

In the bucket seat version they had a total of 4 colors available besides the two tone GN seats. All the material for these bucket seats was called Pallex cloth according to the 1987 Dealer Album.

The colors for the bucket seats options were: Blue, tan, gray, and dark red. Of these colors I would say tan and grey are the toughest colors to maintain.

As for combos with tan and dark red cloth to find them in a black Turbo-T is fairly rare since most owners would go with grey. (I have only had one of each). Another rare combo would be to have a blue cloth in a silver or grey Turbo-T as again grey would be the more popular color.

Again these findings are based on cars I have owned.

The dealer album for 1987 also shows a solid bench notch back seat and a split 55/45 bench seat. Of these two bench seat versions I would say that the solid bench seat would be the rarest based on what I have owned. Unfortunately, for some reason these seat options do not appear in the price guides I have. The code would be A65 for the notch back and AM6 for the 55/45 split bench seat.
Both these versions have a fold down armrest that is more useful than the pad on the center console is for the bucket seat cars.

Once again their code system is not very consistant. One code is A65 other is AM6 you would think code would be somewhat in some sort of order.

They never offered a power seat option for the passenger side bucket seat. However as some of you may know years ago at least to me the person that discovered what works was Pete Serio the window rattle guy. Others may have known it beforehand but he is the one that brought it to my attention and of course installed one in my 3rd test car.

The trick is not with the motor assembly, it was locating a passenger side panel for the 6 way power switch. To my knowledge, only one GM car had that exact image for the passenger side and it was in the Caddy Cimarrons. This was the small Caddy that proved to be a flop in the late 1980s. These Cimarrons were made 1983 thru 1988 if I recall. I am not 100% sure if the power seat panel was the same for every year Cimarron but they probably were. The actual seat track itself from the Caddy will not work as it is too narrow. A lot more details can be found in my Kirbans Guide Book.

In the Limited Turbo-Ts you had 2 leather seat options tan Sierra, or Doeskin (grey). While they are called leather they actually had leather top surfaces and vinyl side panels. Usually referred to as pillow style seats. Thy were an extra cost on a Turbo-T Limited which included the DE9 console was $377.00.

This console is usually referred to as the half console since these cars were column shift. As you can imagine any parts for this style console today is hard to find.

The cloth seats in the pillow style for the Turbo-T limited were 5 different colors according to the dealer album. Sage, blue, grey, tan, dark red. Based on my experience sage and tan cloth would be the rarest. Sage was only offered on 2 exterior colors most of the others could be had with 4 to 7 exterior colors another reason sage would be a rare seat color today in Turbo-T Limited.

I don't think they ever offered a power pillow passenger seat however they did have a recliner option. Going by memory this would be a small metal handle on the side of the passenger seat.

Obviousily in 1987 anything on a Limited Turbo-T is rarer that a regular Turbo-T.
They built 1,035 Turbo-T Limiteds which is included in the 20,441 total Limiteds that year. Of that total 20,441 built 792 received the grey leather pillow seats and 338 received the tan leather pillow seats. I was never able to get the break down any further than that to mesh with the Turbo-T production. So if you have a Turbo-T Limited with tan leather or sage cloth, chances are slim you will see another one now that 23 plus years has passed.

It would have been nice if Buick had run a different series of VIN numbers for the Turbo Regals it would have made everything easier to compute, like GMC did with the Syclone.

tis it for this post to digest.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

More tomorrow......still anyone 51 and down or 98 or more? Also the gas hood shock question is still unanswered.

2nd quess-it is easier for the guys at the plant to install them that way

kirban 2 cents worth

wrong answer good thought though. Actually Pontiac used that idea when they gave Hurst the contract for the shifters back in the 1960s. They used the Hurst shifter but did not use the Hurst linkage because it involved rods that were threaded for the buttons to thread on to. Instead Pontiac used a smooth rod with a clasp type of button that held the rods in place. Not as positive as the factory Hurst threaded rods were. Less time consuming on the assembly line plus probably cheaper using their parts.

That in turn opened up a new market for Hurst as they sold a kit designed to work with the factory Pontiac Hurst shifters which gave the car owner a positive shift that never would slip. True story as I use to sell these KPO kits as they were called in the late 1970s early 1980s.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

still thinking....

The gas charged shocks also have a small amount of hyd oil in them. mounted correctly cyl. end (bigger end up ) the hyd fluid adds the extra resistance near the end of the shocks stroke (hood open) if mounted with piston end up (small end) hyd oil would migrate to other end of the shock and cause the extra resistance at the begining of the shocks stroke (hood closed)
would probally make hood a little harder to close

kirban 2 cents worth

I am making you the winner, you touched briefly on the correct answer. I will explain in the next post.

Send me a PM with your address for your gift....also curious did you research this or what?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
New question later tonite.

kirban 2 cents worth

I have been told their is basically two reasons the wider end is mounted upward and the internal rod is mounted downward.

I contacted our supplier today to get the facts. First they were the first company to make gas springs in series back in 1962. In a years time they produce 130 million units. They are also the worlds market leader for gas springs and dampers.

Their headquarters is in Germany. With 130 million in annual production you can understand why they are a OEM supplier. Not sure as to what OEM companies but probably almost all of them.

I actually talked to a engineer at one of their US facilities. Firs they are nitrogen gas filled. At the end where the rod enters is a small amount of mineral oil inside to keep the seal lubricated and the rod from sticking. If you look at your gas springs or hood shocks whatever you care to call them you will see a grove area maybe 1/2 inch in from the end where the rod enters. Its in that area that is where the mineral oil is stored.

They typically mount them with the rod down because that keeps the seals lubricated and prevents them from drying out. It extends their life.

I have been told by others a long time ago, that it by installing them with the rod down it helps keep moisture from collecting where the rod enters the main body. I can see this happening because that is what sometimes kills the fan delay which sits in the same general area as the drivers side hood shock.

While they will work in either direction, from the factory they came with the rod down and the main body up. Pretty hard not to screw up assuming you only remove one at a time, you can simply look at the one you did not disturb to be sure you install it the correct way.

Next trivia question will make it a little easier.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Here is mine with 86 codes. can you give me any details.

Attachments

• TTRPO.JPG
    TTRPO.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 200
kirban 2 cents worth

It would take a lot of work to list each code but here are some high points to your label. Your car does not have a posi nor does it have the lite weight aluminum bumper reinforcement braces. Codes would be (G80) (VD6 and VD7) Two things that would be nice to have in your Limited. You have the 45/55 seats (AM6) the body side moldings is (B88) in black. The radio you got is just one down from the top of the line model (UM6)

However, you have the astroroof (CF5) couple with the (WO2) black out package which is somewhat rare on a Limited as most Limiteds would have the chrome package. Combination of WO2 with the astroroof is pretty rare by todays standards 23 plus years later. You have concert sound II (UW4). I think you have a fixed antenna which is a blessing. You have the optional courtsey lites in the door panels (C90). You also have the (C95) reading lamps in the headliner.

I have pointed out the key features or non features based on your trunk ID label. My conclusion is, you have a heavy car, unusual also especially with the blackout package and the astroroof.

This car probably sold for 18,500 grand and some change. A guess on my part. Be curious if you have the manila envelope that contains the hand crank for the astroroof? Unfortunately their is no exact break down on Limiteds with astroroof option. My book states 2,560 on ALL REGAL MODELS got this option in 1987. Keep in mind the Limited Turbo-T saw 1,035 being built. Or roughly 64,000 of all Regal models for 1987.

I hope these figures don't confuse you. Remember what I state about being rare is my opinion, but its based on owning 300 plus of these cars and what I have seen over the years. Personally, I have owned as my number #2 test car a 1987 Turbo-T Limited silver with blackout package and leather but no astroroof.

When I got it, back around 1992, I had no idea Buick even made such a car. I got it on trade. Since it was unusual to me back in 1992 I sold my 1987 GN and kept the Limited.

As you probably are aware and other Limited owners can verify Limited probably because they are heavier have a different "ride" than a regular Regal does. The seats are far more comfortable, and the chances of the inside door grab handles coming lose is slim and none.

Enjoy the ride.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

comments/questions welcome
don't claim to have all the answers, but enough to score pretty high on a written test.

Thanks Dennis.. To answer some questions.

She does have posi now, someone installed it in along the way.

No I don't have the crank but I have a complete spare working astroroof with tracks.

As for the bumpers rienforcements the heavy's have been removed & alum installed.

The car on the scale with Full tank o gas & me was 3660. Not sure what gas weighs but I am 160. (could spare to lose 20 :))

Thanks Dennis.. To answer some questions.

She does have posi now, someone installed it in along the way.

No I don't have the crank but I have a complete spare working astroroof with tracks.

As for the bumpers rienforcements the heavy's have been removed & alum installed.

The car on the scale with Full tank o gas & me was 3660. Not sure what gas weighs but I am 160. (could spare to lose 20 :))

kirban 2 cents worth

Probably a long shot, but the hand crank have you ever removed the spare from the trunk? If not try looking in that area. I have found them there on some of the cars we have had especially true of the front license plate bracket. A long shot but you never know. Goo d move on the bumper supports a lot of work to switch them out also something like what 30 bolts per bumper?

You got a spare roof so you can see how heavy that option is. Those pillow seats are quite heavy too. On the gas question I am sure some math whiz wold know that. I know this 5 gallon can is about my limit to lift into the back of my truck.

enjoy your ride you got a rare one.

kirbanperformane.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Not an expert by any means, but can make people think.

kirban 2 cents worth

Should have the next trivia question up tomorrow. Any of you that want to post your label and photo of your car like the above did I would be happy to dissect the critical codes like I touched on the above on. Perhaps you have an unusual combination and may not realize it.

Besides the short lived green and brown and beige etc, one of the really rare ones is a black 1987 Turbo-T with WO2 and chrome bumpers. It did not start out rare but since it was no longer offered just prior to the introduction of the WE4 it is a rare car. What would make it very rare is if it had a tan or burgundy interior since most got a grey interior.

The downside is nobody knows just how rare a car like this would be. 11-13-86 notice was put out a black Turbo-T with WO2 sport package is no longer available. On 11-15-86 the WE4 was announced.

So production window was say from early September 1986 til 11-13-86. So you got maybe 8-10 weeks of production 5 days a week. Black Ts are not real popular since a GN was black. Meaning most buyers going for a black car would probably go for a GN if monies allowed it. Now add 23-24 years to the mix and you can see how rare a model like this would be today.

I have had maybe 2 over the years. The one I do remember, unfortunately I owned it and sold it before I found out about the limited production.

Earlier we talked about the various seat combos. Here is a few more related tidbits. At least two different versions of power seat tracks were offered in the bucket seat format from 1984-1987. The better one came out sometime in the 1987 models. Don't ask me what the difference is as I can't remember.

Some cars are prewired for the power seat feature. Most or maybe all probably have a slit cut in the carpet under the drivers seat for the hot wire/ground to poke through. Again going by memory and what I have found.

Power seat tracks from the bench style seats I am 99% certain they are different widths from the bucket seat set up.

Most owners with the bucket seat format probably are in 99% agreement with me that the seat belt guide arrangement leaves a lot to be desired. However, on the plus side it is better than some of the early car models I have seen in cars where it tracks down the headliner pillar trim!

Back in my GTO days, seat belts were an option. I used to remove them from the cars so the interior had a cleaner look to it.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
as usual comments/compliments welcome
To me this is fun, enjoy the ride.

Rats! Only 92 codes on my 86.

However Dennis, my label is arranged in 15 columns instead of the usual 13 columns, each having 6 rows plus two more codes at the bottom of columns one and two.

I just looked at mine - July 1986 and it has 13 columns - wonder when they changed it?

I just looked at mine - July 1986 and it has 13 columns - wonder when they changed it?

formats change 1986 had a lamination over the labels, 1987 don't. Look at newer car ID labels size change font style changes etc. Equipment upgrades. Heck its hard to find two cars where the label is even in the same spot going the same way.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Unfortunately, none of us where there to know the real reason.

formats change 1986 had a lamination over the labels, 1987 don't. Look at newer car ID labels size change font style changes etc. Equipment upgrades. Heck its hard to find two cars where the label is even in the same spot going the same way.

I have plenty of 1986 SPID labels that don't have the clear laminate. Mine is a Feb.86 car and has the tape over it. I can confirm if it has 15 columns than it has the clear tape over it. No 13 column labels with the clear tape. Here's a 86 T-Type label with 13 columns. Notice the part number is the same as the 87 label.

Edit. I just noticed it has the ZR6 code. Look at the VIN! It's almost towards the end of the 86 model run. So much much for the theory that all ZR6 cars where built early. I'm still leaning towards the fact that ZR6 doesn't mean Show Car. Anybody recall seeing a White T-Type on the show circuit?

Attachments

• 86 T-Type SPID.jpg
    86 T-Type SPID.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 164
I have plenty of 1986 SPID labels that don't have the clear laminate. Mine is a Feb.86 car and has the tape over it. I can confirm if it has 15 columns than it has the clear tape over it. No 13 column labels with the clear tape. Here's a 86 T-Type label with 13 columns. Notice the part number is the same as the 87 label.

Obviousily GM made a change at some point during 1986. Good effort part of having hundreds of labels at your disposal.

Just like sales brochures they are printed months in advance and sometimes they are not accurate when the car comes out. From indications in this thread it would appear most 86 owners have the lamination style so maybe it was a very late 1986 change over with printing equipment.

I agree with you Eric!!! (Might wanna frame that statement).

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Never claimed to know it all, just enough to make people think........

kirban 2 cents worth

Quick add on to the hood gas shocks info. The company claims they have an average of a 7 year life spam before you would get knocked on your head. Sometimes less the more you open & close your hood.

The inner rod is black oxide and although it appears smooth it isn't and that is what causes leaks over a period of time.

Still working on wording for the next trivia contest.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Appreciate all the notes and pms etc. As usual any comments welcome.

The inner rod is black oxide and although it appears smooth it isn't and that is what causes leaks over a period of time.

Still working on wording for the next trivia contest.

Here's one for you. The original shocks had chrome supports. The replacements are black. I still have a set of the black ones I installed back around 91-92. You can tell the GM part from the aftermarket part by just looking for the GM part number which should be 1259327 on the black ones.

And the 78-80 Regal/Century just used one strut to hold up the hood where as all 81 and newer cars used two.:smile:

Maybe not the right place to ask this question, But I will anyways :)

When I bought my 1987 Grand National (built in November 1986) back in September, It did not have the correct grey leather steering wheel. The wheel in it is black instead, and is not leather. More like the traditional molded foam and vinyl construction, but still in the same style as a GN wheel. The center horn button & ring is grey with the red "T" emblem.

What could this wheel be out of? I'm not 100% sure, I didn't think that a black "T" interior was available. Any ideas?

Even though not correct, I really like the black steering wheel and will keep it in my car.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide!

John

kirban 2 cents worth

Although I can't think of any at the moment there are other examples that use one hood shock also. The company I am referring to used to have a plant near where we live.

Ford on the other hand has taken a primitive approach for the Mustang and use a prop rod for the Fox body models up to and including the current ones. Reason all this came up as we have produced a bolt on gas hood shock kit for the 05-09 Mustangs. I had to calculate the weight of the hood so it would function properly.

One reason we offer a different gas shock for the glass hoods as the regular ones from the steel application would crack the glass hood.

That Century model you mention, matter of opinion but that would be in the running for ugly Buick of that time period. Not to offend any Century owners, just voicing my opinion.

In the Corvette world some companies chrome plate the entire gas shock. Seems kind of risky to subject them to the plating process.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Got people thinking.......

Maybe not the right place to ask this question, But I will anyways :)

When I bought my 1987 Grand National (built in November 1986) back in September, It did not have the correct grey leather steering wheel. The wheel in it is black instead, and is not leather. More like the traditional molded foam and vinyl construction, but still in the same style as a GN wheel. The center horn button & ring is grey with the red "T" emblem.

What could this wheel be out of? I'm not 100% sure, I didn't think that a black "T" interior was available. Any ideas?

Even though not correct, I really like the black steering wheel and will keep it in my car.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide!

John

kirban 2 cents worth

Eric can chirp as I am going off memory. First it wold be nice to see a photo.
Buick made a Century model called the Gran Sport it had grey/black seats similar lay out to the GNs even had a power 6 logo in the headrest.

This model was black outside with black trim. Very rare today rusted away in most northern areas. Even the fender emblem same metal like material said gran sport with a red power six logo. (I got some of these emblems).

This car came out in 1986 took the same style wheel and I am 95% sure it was black. Our cars the turbo regals never ever offered a black steering wheel.

Again working off memory the 1987 LeSabre T-Types offered a black leather interior and possibly a similar steering wheel. Center caps could be switched around.

For example I have one of those rare 1994 Chevy sport Blazers full size 2 door last year no air bag. I had a GN steering wheel recovered in black leather looks factory, dropped in a chevy bowtie symbol from a wheel cap. Looks like it came from the factory.

Most steering columns prior to airbag days are the same width I even had a G wheel in a Jeep Cherokee. With 20 plus years later without seeing photos those are my guesses as to the wheel.

Subtle difference exist prior to 1986 when the leather or material went higher up the spokes toward the center and earlier wheels where thinner.

We all know by now the 2 allen head screw idea to secure the plastic horn ring was a poor design since it warps and cracks in the heat.

Good question..the "T" in the center was correct....another idea you could have had a wheel minus the leather wrap for all I know.

I would think one of my answers would fit your question. Extent of my ideas.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskrban@yahoo.com

Keep them coming I'll keep trying....don't know it all but will hit some of the time.

kirban 2 cents worth

Still thinking Lesabre like the new Reatta I believe the leather wheels were similar to ours but the did not have the exposed metal spokes.

Also during 1986 time frame other T-Type Buick models could have had a leather wrapped wheel as part of the package. You have to remember at least one year around that time frame Buick had 5 different models that offered a T-Type option.

Your rite to stick with a black wheel, don't show wear or dirt as much. I guess GM learned this later as most trucks have a black leather wheel when they have a cloth or leather interior. Also keeps the cost down by making dashes and steering wheels all the same color regardless of the seat color.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Seems people like this thread......

Back