You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

On the subject of unusual codes, on one of the other threads their is a discussion on WE4s. One person only has one of the codes for the aluminum bumper support not both. In other words he has either VD6 or VD7 not both. That strikes me as odd as I can't recall ever seeing that.

Here is a tip if you are looking at one of these cars to buy. One thing I always checked also. A good number of these cars got hit in the front and most have probably been properly repaired. While car faxes are great they only can report what is reported to them.

An accident with no police report, nothing shows up as a rule on car fax. Lets say you look at a car front bumper support shows the code for aluminum VD6 yet in looking at it, turns out to be steel. Chances are it has been replaced possibly because it was hit.

Another tip, concerning front ends. If the car you are thinking of buying has the front brace set on it (ones we sell or others) that pretty much clinches the fact the front frame horns are dead on straight.

If you have installed the front braces and connecting brace, you know what I am talking about as their is virtually no give to get those bolts lined up with the frame horns and the end of the braces with the bolts.

Now you may be thinking have I ever been "screwed" on a turbo regal? The answer is yes I have gotten burned at least 3-4 times. Anyone in the car buying business if they are being honest, will admit to that.

Its a fact of life....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Gotta think of tougher questions....

kirban 2 cents worh

We got a winner! You are correct. Now those that have been reading this thread which is about the size of a small book are starting to understand how codes can mean different things to different car models in this case Buicks.

It strikes me strange that Buick would assign the same WE2 code in the same year to the GN package on the Turbo Regals and the new LeSabre T-Type as well.

Makes you wonder in the Corvette world if the ZO6 code applies to some other lesser Chevy in some regard....ZO6 and ZR1 in the Corvette world are like the WE4 and WE2 codes are to us.

For any WE4 owner probably would have been nice instead of the boxed T on the front fender they put a WE4 logo of some sort.

Mr Phone guy send me a pm denniskirban@yahoo.com and we can get your prize out to you ups monday.

I will have another question tonite....

For those of you that are curious the WE2 package on the Lesabre T-Type at least in 1987 was $1,975.00 extra. They also got Y56 code called a T package which has to do with the wheels etc. That was called a "T" package yet the car was called a T-Type.

Going by memory as I had one is they received a very very small emblem in plastic on the outside pillar between the door and 1/4 window. This emblem was maybe one inch long.

Mr Phone guy taking a guess from your name you must have something to do with phones? Are you the guy we see on TV in the verizon commercial in the grey jacket and black rim glasses? kidding....

You guys are doing good thus far.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Making people think.....and having fun doing it....

Seen a T Type badge in that area,also what is the GST option?

Seen a T Type badge in that area,also what is the GST option?

kirban 2 cents worth

As to GST I have no idea need more clues referring to what car? Over the years certain parts of the country did special models. California GS or something like that Ford did things with Mustangs. Ford trucks carry King Ranch badges....

Buick did a limited run of those GSXs based on the front wheel drive trying to cash in on the X format with little success around 2001-2002...again going off memory SLP did that package.

Again no idea on GST do not see an code in any of my books for it. Most G starting codes has to do with axles/rears....

Again all guesses on my part

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

keep them coming...

http://71.18.236.175/images/Other/LeSabreGST-Ad-02.jpg

Found it,It's a cosmetic package,not factory installed.Guessing it's similar to the greenwood pkge from the 'vette
Also in an answer to your above question,was it a T Type emblem on the LaSabre?

kirban 2 cents worth

Basically a miniature Ttype emblem very similar in design to what Buick put on the 1986 TType Regals...only a whole lot smaller.

Your tie about various companies doing certain packages just look at the wide range of companies doing packages on the Mustangs used to be basically Saleen/Steeda/Shelby now their must be like a dozen....ten years from now for those owners could be very interesting to see which tuner cars rise to the top of the value chain.

just my thoughts

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Never out of ideas, problem is getting them solved....

I count 58 on mine. Phil

Attachments

• IMG_0043 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0043 (Medium).JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 284
kirban 2 cents worth

Interesting trunk ID label with 57 codes...this is probably similar to one of the state police cars I had years ago...they were not big on optons since state funds bought. and mine had a similar wording on the label about 85 speedo.

Do you know any of the history with your car? Example does it a special speedo head? Any unusual holes in the dash pad or in the trunk? The chip different inthe ecm unit?

Has the headlite wires been cut and retaped?

That code 52 in the bottom copy according to my booklet refers to the dash cluster. power trunk which makes sense am radio code meaning it was a non cost feature, no locks no windows, lite weight bumper braces, no black out trim, bare bones basically. No moldings, no stripes. Strange it has bucket seats tough AR9 code.

Unless I missed it the only code I see listed for radio speakers is up on the dash UX6. This would make sense since your car had the cheap am standard radio. In other words, I believe your car did not come originally with rear speakers in the rear deck area. If they are there now they may be aftermarket.

If you know any history appreciate you posting it to see if I am on the rite track with my assessment. From your post (Rhode Island) your car possibily could have come from the batch I am referring to that was used in either Mass or CT when they were new.

I am fairly confident judging from the trunk ID label that your car if not owned by a state police department was intended for use originally in some sort of capacity.

A car fax would probably nail down the history as far as where the car originally sold in as far as what state.

Thanks for sharing, and post any other info to verify what I am stating or otherwise.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

As viewers can see from the trunk ID label this car was intended for some sort of police type work when the car was originally ordered and this label backs that up.

Down south Florida/Georgia the hot pursuit cars during that same timer period was the notchback Mustangs. They of course are far more common to see at national Mustang events since far more of them were used for that purpose.

Keep them coming....enjoy reading them....heck we can all learn more than before.

Hi Dennis, this car came out of CT in 1992, TMU on the car fax. Car went from CT to Mass and then on to NH where I purchased it from. The car had a lot of mods and didn't have the orig. engine or trans. This car has holes on the side of the console possibly for radio equipment and some holes on the underside of the trunk lid to mount something. I didn't see any cut wires at the headlites and the digital dash doesn't blink at 85 MPH. I owned this car for a short time and then noticed the spid label and went back to your book and pics of the FBI and Trooper cars and figured that is what I had. Phil.

Attachments

• IMG_0053 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0053 (Medium).JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 273
kirban 2 cents worth

The Turbo-T car I had was also that same color. Mine had the holes in the trunk and above the radio pod area can't member about the side of the console. Without digging up my records and my source that I bought it from passed away it came from Mass or CT as well.

It was more than likely some sort of pursuit vehicle unmarked. Interesting plus it verifies low options which kept initial costs down as they probably bought several at the same time. If I could find my records be interesting to compare VIN numbers.

Problem is all my files are in boxes and not in anything other than year order and it was over 10 years ago now.

I think its New Hampshire that does require titles on old cars they go by bill of sale. Maybe you can verify that? They do a title if owner still has it.

Notice your car has that thin trim across the bottom and the medallions on the
pillar area probably has one around trunk lock also. My white TurboT has the medallions but no trim across the bottom and my car is all original.

Does your car have aftermarket rear speakers or none at all as I noted above from the trunk ID label?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Hope to see others post their labels & photo of their car. May be pleasantly surprised finding out something you may not have realized before.

Speaking of pursuit vehicles, I still have this "FBI pursuit vehicle" shirt that you used to sell years ago! Paul

Attachments

• FBI tshirt.jpg
    FBI tshirt.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 277
kirban 2 cents worth

I just printed out my list of all the turbo regals I have bought and sold and fortunately under notes I show in 1994 I bought a CT state trooper car. At the time it had 115,000 on it sold it for $8,200.

If I have time I plan to see if I can find my file on this car and if so I can find the VIN number and we can compare notes. Going by memory I think my car had a bench seat set up.

Like most of us I never paid much attention to the fact it was a ex state trooper car....back then it was just another car. In 1994 I sold 14 turbo regals total.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't know it all, but have created an interesting thread......

Hi Dennis, this car came out of CT in 1992, TMU on the car fax. Car went from CT to Mass and then on to NH where I purchased it from. The car had a lot of mods and didn't have the orig. engine or trans. This car has holes on the side of the console possibly for radio equipment and some holes on the underside of the trunk lid to mount something. I didn't see any cut wires at the headlites and the digital dash doesn't blink at 85 MPH. I owned this car for a short time and then noticed the spid label and went back to your book and pics of the FBI and Trooper cars and figured that is what I had. Phil.

kirban 2 cents worth

I found my file on the trooper turbo regal I had back and sold in 1994. I even found my original info sheet. My car had a radio delete plate in it. It did have bucket seats and a console, map reading lites, and a posi. It had been totally repainted and hand rubbed.

I even state on the trunk ID label it says something about the speedo and 85 mph. Car came with a digital dash.

Now this would be neat to compare VIN numbers. I actually have a copy of the Connecticut title from the owner that bought it in 1992. Probably around the same time it went out of service similar to your car.

I bought it in 1994 and sold it for $8200 in 1994. Back then my cars sold quickly.

Send me a pm denniskirban@yahoo.com with your VIN number if you would and I would share mine. Heck my last 4 digits are (5219) how does yours compare to this? My car according to my records went to Illinois.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My file was thin on this car no photos no window sticker. Back then I was not selling many so I never thought much about them. It wasn't until later in the 1990s that I started to move a lot of Turbo Buicks.

My 86 GN has 92.....
T-Top,climate control, elect seat, trunk release, security....
Loaded heavily...

Great cruiser...

Mark

kirban 2 cents worth

This gentleman emailed me his VIN number and it is exactly 60 off from the CT trooper car that I sold back in 1994. From some of my Buick notes they were producing 100 turbo Regals a day at least that was their daily goal.

So, if all things being equal his ex trooper car and the one I sold could have been produced the same day or at the very least, the same week. I don't have a window sticker or photo of the trunk ID but guessing they were probably equipped fairly similar.

Cars like this being bought in a group by a state agency usually where low optioned to get the best price. No idea how many were purchased by the CT state police, but interesting that here is two of them both the same color and just 60 apart when they were built.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keeping the ides in motion.....

kirban 2 cents worth

We will award a prize valued at $50 each:

For, the first member I confirm on this thread that can prove their Turbo Regal 1984-1987 vintage has 50 codes on their trunk ID label or less.

Same prize value for the first member on this thread that posts their trunk ID label that reflects 100 codes or more.

You must post your trunk ID label showing it is on a trunk lid. Not be related or work for any Buick company. Also post a photo of the car. It can be any 1984-1987 Turbo Regal model - T-Type, W4, Limited, Turbo-T, GN. You must be the registered owner. GNXs all were the same at 87 codes as reported earlier so they are not in the game.

My guess is someone will produce one with 50 or less before I see 100 codes.

The game clock is ticking....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Never out of ideas, it solutions that can be difficult to work out.

kirban 2 cents worth

On the subject of the state trooper cars being close with the VINs I am also wondering about the 5 methanol cars that are mentioned earlier in this thread.

The ones that are known, be curious to know how close their VINs are to each other. Since they were probably special ordered by an agency at the same time I would think their VIN will be very close in production as well.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned a few over the years....sold them also

OK another question about my '87 GN (November '86 built). Is it unusual to have the letter "X" as the 9th character in the VIN number? I have read that the X is a "place holder"?

Mine has the 9th character "X"; Another member asked me if this was true a few months back when I first joined the board and posted pics of my car.

Here are a couple pics- the dash VIN plate pic sucks but you can still clearly see the "X" character.

John

Attachments

• rpo_tag.jpg
    rpo_tag.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 224
  • dash_vin.jpg
    dash_vin.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 224
Back