You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

tell brian contest open to running cars with label attached not open to companies or employees magic number is to hit 50 or 100 in other direction.

on the methanol cars like to see how close the VINS are to each other may be similar to the trooper cars I mentioned earlier.

Dennis The car is running with 52 trunk codes with 6 or 7 options. Fully Buick Documented & car faxed. It is actually my test vehicle with our first stretch IC,Down pipe,Aluminum Rad, Spohn's first rear sway bar,level 1's rear arms, 16 x 10 GTA wheels, etc...Typical average T running around with 100K+ miles stock D-5,Stock injectors, & stock turbo. I thought it would be close to 50 but was 52. It is just one of those light weight good running cars you get out of every 40-50. Sort of a freak :eek:

I have another car in the lot out front which should be less codes. Not running. I have the top end pulled off but that is something we can get running in a few hours. Same color as the 1 above & similar options. I know it should have less. I have known the car for 7 years finally got it picked up 2 years ago down here.Original paint car as well.

Believe me I wouldn't let employee Magic happen to prove it could be done. I'm a show me person.
When I get a chance to breathe around here during the day instead of walking around with a phone attached to my head I'll sneak a peak at the spid.

I also have a few Moon roof limiteds that should be pretty hi optioned as well.
Close to 100, Yes running.

In my opinion (Mine only) any Turbo car running or not that was produced with an original label should be eligable. I don't think it takes alot to make a car not running to running & driving. If it was Built & totalled & not worth putting back together it exsists. I have a few cars here that are not worth rebuilding for re-sale at this time. Then I have cars I'm upside down in & will not get what I have into them for years.
Heres a pic of an 87 T with 52.

Attachments

• EricsPix1297.jpg
    EricsPix1297.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 226
kirban 2 cents worth

tell brian contest open to running cars with label attached not open to companies or employees magic number is to hit 50 or 100 in other direction.

on the methanol cars like to see how close the VINS are to each other may be similar to the trooper cars I mentioned earlier.

Dennis The car is running with 52 trunk codes with 6 or 7 options. Fully Buick Documented & car faxed. It is actually my test vehicle with our first stretch IC,Down pipe,Aluminum Rad, Spohn's first rear sway bar,level 1's rear arms, 16 x 10 GTA wheels, etc...Typical average T running around with 100K+ miles stock D-5,Stock injectors, & stock turbo. I thought it would be close to 50 but was 52. It is just one of those light weight good running cars you get out of every 40-50. Sort of a freak :eek:

I have another car in the lot out front which should be less codes. Not running. I have the top end pulled off but that is something we can get running in a few hours. Same color as the 1 above & similar options. I know it should have less. I have known the car for 7 years finally got it picked up 2 years ago down here.Original paint car as well.

Believe me I wouldn't let employee Magic happen to prove it could be done. I'm a show me person.
When I get a chance to breathe around here during the day instead of walking around with a phone attached to my head I'll sneak a peak at the spid.

I also have a few Moon roof limiteds that should be pretty hi optioned as well.
Close to 100, Yes running.

In my opinion (Mine only) any Turbo car running or not that was produced with an original label should be eligable. I don't think it takes alot to make a car not running to running & driving. If it was Built & totalled & not worth putting back together it exsists. I have a few cars here that are not worth rebuilding for re-sale at this time. Then I have cars I'm upside down in & will not get what I have into them for years.
Heres a pic of an 87 T with 52.

kirban 2 cents worth

I see your point and in an effort to keep world peace, if you hit on a winner car that is rite side up (wheels toward the ground) 50 codes or less 100 codes or more you win....

On side note he who awards the prizes sets the rules, (me) so this contest is still open to any readers of this thread not associated with any Buick company or employees.

One you show above is at 52 codes matches my total on my Turbo-T.

No winners yet...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

All of my cars have been rite side up, most left on their own power.

kirban 2 cents worth

My other contest on the 2 parts for the powermaster....there is a deadline on this of this coming Friday 6 pm April 17th 2009.

The reason is our Open House is the next day Saturday and I will be talking about them there. I just got word Richard Clark will be at our Open House.

Greta prizes to the first correct answers on the powermaster question which is probably 1 page back from this page.

We got a smart group here, so lets see if your record remains intact...unless someone has responded prior to me post ing this.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cars in the past AAR Cuda and a 440 Cuda both at the same time....when they were $3500 cars.

kirban 2 cents worth

I see your point and in an effort to keep world peace, if you hit on a winner car that is rite side up (wheels toward the ground) 50 codes or less 100 codes or more you win....

On side note he who awards the prizes sets the rules, (me) so this contest is still open to any readers of this thread not associated with any Buick company or employees.

One you show above is at 52 codes matches my total on my Turbo-T.

No winners yet...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

All of my cars have been rite side up, most left on their own power.

Not in it for the prize just the spread of information. I should of documented alot more cars we parted out.

Not in it for the prize just the spread of information. I should of documented alot more cars we parted out.

kirban 2 cents worth

Wish I had been a lot smarter in the beginning at least photographing each trunk ID label and sticking my business card taped to the inside of the glove box that way when car got sold again owner would be able to see if it passed thru my hands.

I have had some rare ones...usually never realized until it sold. Like you in the business, cars/parts get sold.

If you win will give you one of those "items" you mentioned in pm.....good luck...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cars owned: 1940 Studebaker club coupe.....

kirban 2 cents worth

Markboss trunk ID sorry its a few past your post, here goes some basic info you got the good lite weight VD6 and VD7 bumper supports, posi rear G80 a $95 option.

Someone spent the big bucks s you got the top of the line radio UX1 cost $494 back in 1986.

You got the touch climate control C68 which was not offered in 1987. This is a desireable option, great when it works.

CC1 is for T-Tops for $850.00 they should not be the locking ones which came out in 1987 and the price then jumped to $895.

I member when these cars were new most owners thought a posi was standard in these cars. At $95 it was fairly cheap option.

You got the top of the line radio UX1 cost $494. also got concert sound II UW4 cost $95

Your car came with the good front & rear carpet savers B34 and B35. You got the door edge guards B91

You have the 9 piece trunk kit B48 $47 option had you bought it later it cost more over the counter. T63 headlite warning buzzer, power driver bucket WG1 sold for $225, trunk release was $40 A90.

My observation I just listed most of your options and their prices....at 92 codes you have a very loaded example.

What strikes me strange: the color or tint of your label unless its just because of the computer doing something to it, plus no line of number/letters at the bottom to denote paint code info. All other years have it from what I can recall and seen on this thread. If its present I can't see it.

Just my observation. You have a fairly expensive GN for 1986

You have rear defogger, you live in Florida any idea where you car came from orignally? Could be it came from the north?

If in Florida any length of time sun really cooks the bumper fillers and top edge of rear seat.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keep them coming.....
I got a good friend near Orlando that is big into those older Mustangs we buy parts from him. First name is Doug do you know who I mean?

Why don't we just end this silly contest right now:rolleyes:

I'm in it for the prize:biggrin:

I love the history on these cars, this has been a good read.

kirban 2 cents worth

I like even numbers shooting for 50 codes did I see your 51 code label? post again so I can verify seeing it. If the real deal send me pm with your address will send you a prize also.

Years ago I delivered a 1961 Ford convertible to Beaver Dam Wisconsin, guy made pick ups for Kraft......ever hear of the town?

Seems a lot of people like reading this thread....one reason I try and check all my spelling...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Why don't we just end this silly contest right now:rolleyes:

I'm in it for the prize:biggrin:

I love the history on these cars, this has been a good read.

+1. I never intended to turn this into pissing contest. Just a spread of information that can be shared by everyone with a minimal amount of BS.

I do not see why this contest was inclusive or exclusive to a chosen few. I'm not in for the money or the glory or even bragging rights.........but Thank You Dennis for the consulation prize.;) If I get a minute I'll post that option list. To me that is the real indication of how well a car is or isn't loaded.

You know 2 things enfluenced my fascination with these cars. One has to be the SPID label and the second was the fact I made my career selling parts based on the information on the SPID label. In other words I spent 8 hours a day or more decyphering labels just so people could get the correct parts for their cars or trucks. IMO it's the most important part of the car. Just ask the schmuck with more money than brains if he would plunk down six figures for a Vette or LS6 Chevelle if it didn't have a build sheet. While not all of us have the build sheet we do have a SPID label. Contact me if you need help in duplicating your SPID label correctly.

And yes. That was a typo. I meant to write that is why Pontiac cars have the GMD,FFL and PON codes and why Flint cars don't have the GMD code. BTW I just noticed that the Arlington TX built G-Bodies also have the GMD code on the label. Not that any of us care. They built mostly MCs in their day. If the Suburban was Texas' Truck than why wasn't the MC Texas' car?

kirban 2 cents worth

First this is a thread I started, prizes we are dishing out, as such, I can certianily set my own rules and I have included Brian but also have it open to anyone else that can hit 50 codes or less or 100 or more. It is meant as fun. Anyhow who knows me personally, can appreciate this.

As for the other contest on the powermaster, obviousily, I only have it open to turbo owners that are not related or work for any Buick companies to keep it fair.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input on the labels. Plus being "new" to this forum and its the only forum I am on currently, the subject has really struck some interest.

Keeping it in this same thread I plan to talk about body bushing next, as that is another area that Buick lacks any consistency with. Brian would know being he has seen a lot from underneath and me, having sold over 300 plus have installed personally body bushings in almost every one of those cars.

We all bring something to the plate......the readers of this thread get the benefits.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Speaking of careers, performance cars have always been my career since getting out of the military in the early 1970s. My goal back during the original gas crisis was never spend more than $500 for any nice original GTO. Be surprised how many you could buy back then under $500.

kirban 2 cents worth

Now that we have beaten trunk ID labels to death lets look at another important part of our turbo regals.

Body bushings. Anyone that has spent time under these cars, I am sure realizes that not every single 1984-1987 Turbo Regal received the same number of lower body bushings from the factory.

I have often made the comment another short coming with our cars is I don't think many of them are sitting straight on the frame. This can sometimes be clearly seen by car owners when they go to install wide rims or wider tires on the back.

I know when we first did the 16 by 8 "Kirban style wheels" as they are called, I had no idea about offset or back side setting. I never realized that a 16 by 8 wheel is really 9 inches wide its 8 inches where the tire sits.

By the way those wheels were made in the USA the tooling at one time belonged to a major wheel company and they sold it to my friend who produced it in the proper offset strictly for our company. (Same source that made the very first ralley I's Pontiac rims and 15 by 7 Mopar rims.) All SFI APPROVED. Some where clear coated some where not. I never kept track how many we actually produced.

So originally had several different offsets made went to a tire place and had tires installed and various wheels until I hit the right offset.

One quick test you can do is measure the space from inside edge of your rear tire inside area to the outside lip of your rear frame. Repeat for the other side. Chances are the distance varies from one side to the other.

I have no idea plus or minus GM would shoot for as far as frame and body alignment. Its like when they balance a driveshaft, most aftermarket aluminum ones are balanced far tighter than the factory one. Also you would be amazed at how "out" the steel GN rims are with no weights on them.

I can't take credit for discovering the "missing" or left out lower body bushings, since in my instance it was brought to my attention by one of my customers.

For starters I like to hear your comments on anything body bushing related. I know this if you reside in a northern climate backing out any of those grade 8 bolts can be a real expensive problem if the entrapped cage nut breaks lose.

So, for now lets hear your thoughts......before we continue.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Member powermaster contest ends this friday nite!!!!!

My GN originally was sold in Tulsa, OK...was ordered by the Serivice Manager at Crown Buick....

My T-Tops do have the locks...The climate control has really been trouble free...usually buy spare parts when I can locate them....

I drive it everyday,,,about 170,000 miles...

Mark

kirban 2 cents worth
CC1 is for T-Tops for $850.00 they should not be the locking ones which came out in 1987 and the price then jumped to $895.
My CC1 hatch roof had locks in 1986 for $875. I also had the extra cost white letter tires. Expensive, those letters!

Attachments

• 86gn1 - Copy.jpg
    86gn1 - Copy.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 196
My GN originally was sold in Tulsa, OK...was ordered by the Serivice Manager at Crown Buick....

My T-Tops do have the locks...The climate control has really been trouble free...usually buy spare parts when I can locate them....

I drive it everyday,,,about 170,000 miles...

Mark

kirban 2 cents worth

My 3rd test car made it about that far but soon after with the new owner the timing chain let go.

I found my Product Information sheets and they did do the change to the locking T Tops dated 2-28-86 bulletin #86-040. States this change was due to the addition of a lock system on each roof panel. Dealer invoice $743.75 dealer price $717.50 List $875.00 with locking feature.

So, if you look at the sticker on your drivers door that shows month and year I would think based on this bulletin your car would be probably March 1986 or later.
So, early 1986 models would still have the non-locking version unless someone changed them out.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Mustangs owned 96-97-04 all Cobra models
plus 88-90-93 notchbacks 5 speeds.

My CC1 hatch roof had locks in 1986 for $875. I also had the extra cost white letter tires. Expensive, those letters!

kirban 2 cents worth

I just cleared up about the locking T-Tops for previous post...had to find the product information sheet. As stated change came about 2-28-86 so your car was probably built around that time or later to have locking T-Tops from the factory on a 1986 Turbo Regal.

These product information sheets cover a lot of change that they made or discontinued during each year problem is a huge stack covers all Buick models and you have to hunt for the Regal related ones.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Making people think and join in.....

cars owned 3 different year ETCs....

The 86 window sticker shown above lists a highway MPG of 24 mpg. A 87 window sticker lists a highway MPG of 25 mpg. since the major difference between the years is only that tiny chrome piece in the 86 grille... that little piece must be made out of lead :) Paul

my rpo

52 CODES RPO pic;

still cannot find these codes;

1)7YU
2)8S1
3)VQ1

Looks like Donnie and my T were built 375 cars apart......acording to the last digits of our vins,...

Attachments

• 0414091338a.jpg
    0414091338a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 190
Your 8S1 is probably B51 the Insulation Package all TR's got it's located in the B column. :)

7YU is probably a spring code.

VQ1 is FLEET ASSISTANCE PROGRAM from the G-body olds site.

Back