You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Fan delay relay

Alarm false triggering intermittant tamper switch or low battery can set it off, or the light remain on and kill the battery when the door is closed

Lighted mirror can activate via a bad switch and stay on

Radio display can lock on with stuck or broken knob/switch

Brake switch could stay on killing the battery

Reading lamp switch could stay on

Door jamb switch can bend and stay on or a shorted wire

Defective radio capacitor acting like a resistor

Park switch in the power antenna

Hazard flashers

Nothing to lose. :biggrin:

Gonna be nice thursday and friday I will check the GN for the body cushions at #7, that car at least has a place for them, salvageV6 the WE4 doesn't even have the mount plate let alone a bushing. :eek: :p

kirban 2 cents worth

give me better explanation on brake switch as to exactly what you mean what do you claim is staying on?

You are pretty darn close....

I go to carlisle thursday weather should be nice down here also....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

still no one yet has hit on the 4 or 5 most common issues that can trigger on a 1986-1987 Turbo Regal to run with key off and not in the ignition. Possible 3 of the answers are not option related, two answers are option related.

game is still in play.

look at earlier threads as some posts have hit on some of the answer as I have noted.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Its all based on frequency of failures I have personally witnessed

A misadjusted brake switch will leave the stop lamps on all the time killing the battery.

There are two switch contacts inside the assembly could leave on only the upper "third" light or the lower stop lights, or both.

If the brake arm doesn't hit the switch they stay on. :eek:

Then again that can happen in most any car.

There's lots of things that can become defective in an old car and kill the battery.

A loose floppy broken power seat switch can be a pain since you never know where you're gonna end up while driving. :eek: :biggrin:

Don't forget leaving on the instrument cluster lamp switch, killed a couple of batteries leaving the dimmer switch clicked "ON". Not even a failure other than by the owner. ;)

A misadjusted brake switch will leave the stop lamps on all the time killing the battery.

There are two switch contacts inside the assembly could leave on only the upper "third" light or the lower stop lights, or both.

If the brake arm doesn't hit the switch they stay on. :eek:

Then again that can happen in most any car.

There's lots of things that can become defective in an old car and kill the battery.

A loose floppy broken power seat switch can be a pain since you never know where you're gonna end up while driving. :eek: :biggrin:

Don't forget leaving on the instrument cluster lamp switch, killed a couple of batteries leaving the dimmer switch clicked "ON". Not even a failure other than by the owner. ;)

kirban 2 cents worth

reason I wanted to know what switch as the switch on the powermaster is called the brake pressure switch, the switch you are referring to is called the stop lamp switch.....

So, now that you explained what switch that is one of the answers.....

the interior lites is something you have to trigger in advance....the thumb wheel.

Member I am seeking the most likely to turn on when key is off...

I will give all the answers this weekend...again these are things that come on their own not due to owner leaving something on....

again stop lamp switch or the rod slipping is one correct answer....have to look at your earlier posts to see what else I agree with as to what I am seeking.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

no time for comments in this area

kirban 2 cents worth

Salvage V6 you are close you got 3 correct ones

and phone guy is also close...

neither of you have hit on the 4 or 5 or more I am seeking...member not obscure things but something some readers can relate to that may have had happen in their experience....it has happened to me.

You guys are sharp hoping to get others to give it a try...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

working on next one already

game

I will give it a try:Stop lamp switch
door jamb switch
cooling fan
power antenna
factory alarm

I will give it a try:Stop lamp switch
door jamb switch
cooling fan
power antenna
factory alarm

kirban 2 cents worth

you got 4 of the ones I am seeking....good try.....actually at this point Ithink all the correct answers are out there but no one has put them all inrthe same thread by the same person....

I gotta leave for carlisle so I can't do any more quick answers until late tomorrow nite....

prize is still out there...

keep trying.....

you actually might have the most correct ones in one thread....thus far.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cooling fan
Factory Alarm
Stop light switch
Power ant
Power seat switch

kirban 2 cents worth:

Phone guy above has hit 4 of the 5, I was seeking in the SAME POST. He may have a an edge because of his background in electronics....

Phone guy Send me a pm with your address and name again will send you a different prize.....need to get more people participating....

Here is the run down. Member this is based on me buying and hauling 300 plus of these cars all 1986-1987 vintage maybe 20% were low mileage examples. Again not much seat time in each car but have owned enough to see just about every "quirk" these cars can have.....

I think everyone reading this with a 1986-1987 Turbo Regal will agree the number one item that can "turn on" at any given time with the key off and kill the battery is the electric fan. Granted it is supposed to kick on for a period of time normally but a bad fan delay relay can trigger it or something can cause the fan delay to act up.

The problem lies with the fact the fan delay relay is not a sealed unit. Even if you lay claim your car has never seen the rain you probably have washed it at some point and water always runs down hill and can seep into the fan delay.

Number 2 is in the radio circuit mainily the power antenna motor. I have had several that I have trailer 500 plus miles and stop for dinner or lunch and here the motor running for the power antenna. Out of the clear blue. You need to unplug it under the hood by the inner fender no where else. Since its part of the radio circuit you could experience the clock or radio staying on but more than likely power antenna motor runs on its own.

Third failure in frequency that I have witnessed, is the factory alarm. The lite blinks constantly with the key off doors unlocked don't matter.

Fourth, horn comes on out of the clear blue. Could be the 2 screws securing the plastic collar are over tightened, maybe the little ears on the back that hold the metal contact in place are busted. I have no idea but I have had that happen several times.

The stop lite switch, or the rod that operates it can drift when everything is off causing the brake lites to stay on. Others above said brake switch which is not correct as the brake switch usually refers to the one on the powermaster, and the technical name GM uses is stop lite switch for the one that controls the pedal adjustment for the brake lites.

I don't expect total agreement from everyone on my 5 picks for above but I think most of you can relate to the number one pick the fan delay relay issue. If you have witnessed failures that I mentioned, you now know you are not alone.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

still no one with 50 or less codes or 100 or more....still waiting for readers to post if they have in the #7 body bushing position the lower bushing or is there just a metal washer and a gap between that and the frame. I need to get some input there to follow up on that topic.

kirban 2 cents worth

Backing up slightly. I mentioned this trivia question and no one has come up with the answer yet. This is even open to Brian and Eric and anyone in the Buick business besides owners.

On the previous page (13) Gbodyparts posted a trunk ID label. On this label is a code starting with 2 letters. One particular code found on that trunk ID label actually was an emblem on a GM car from 1988 -1991. What code am I referring to? Also what GM car did it appear on?

Here is a clue: It is not found on a Buick model.

The emblem was plastic.

The code on the trunk ID label is fairly common on our cars that I am referring to.

I have an actual emblem, and the GM part number to back it up. The emblem is no longer available from GM.

Prizes await the first correct answer. I want the code I am referring to and the GM car line it appeared on. You do not have to pinpoint the actual model car just the make.

the clock is ticking......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keeping readers thinking......and guessing...

class of 87 you are correct!!!!!

send me pm with your address to send you your prize.. I do not have my notes in front of me but will give more facts tonite when I am at home. I am curious how did you figure this out?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

working on next trivia question ....

I remember seeing these cars with the fe3 emblems(cutlass sierra 2 door),and i always wondered what it meant...my guess is an appearance package? i remember the car had a small ground effects kit,wheels,two tone paint? its been a long time.......
what was the fe3 package about?
thanks,Rico.

class of 87 you are correct!!!!!

send me pm with your address to send you your prize.. I do not have my notes in front of me but will give more facts tonite when I am at home. I am curious how did you figure this out?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

working on next trivia question ....

I remember seeing these cars with the fe3 emblems(cutlass sierra 2 door),and i always wondered what it meant...my guess is an appearance package? i remember the car had a small ground effects kit,wheels,two tone paint? its been a long time.......
what was the fe3 package about?
thanks,Rico.

kirban 2 cents worth

good memory!!! since it was way back in 1989-1991 vintage...it was a suspension upgrade available on 88 and 98 models first and then on cutlass version in 1990-91 from what I remember. I got my notes at home to verify this.

member pm me your full name & address to send prize....good job...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

still wanting to know if you own a 1984-1987 turbo regal #7 the last body bushing do you have the lower ones on your car or is it simply a meta washer and a gap?

kirban 2 cents worth

new trivia contest coming tomorrow - Saturday top prize value $75 second place value is $50. Been working on this question for several days with richard. Hope to stump the group for more than 2-3 days on this one. Congrads to all past winners thus far.

I can't believe I am not getting any input on my bushing question concerning the last body bushing on your frame #7 positon. Post your findings on this thread so I can get this topic under way.

GM books state one thing but my findings show differently..and I have crawled under over 300 of these cars. Curious as to YOUR car (1984-1987 turbo regal).

Went to Carlisle, zero for any parts only saw one 1987 GN for sale for 22 grand extremely nice car think it had 47,000 miles on it. Did see several 442s which is surpising as I am sure they made less of them than they did turbo regals. Carlisle for the ones in the dark is the largest swap meet in the US sits on 100 acre and features over 1,500 cars for sale and spaces get resold during the event.

Spring and fall are the big events. If it ever was on 4 wheels, you will see one at some point at a Carlisle event. It is so large you can expect to park 1/2 mile away or better if you do not get there bright and early or early in the week.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cars owned: 1961,1963,1968, 1999, 2000, 2005 Corvettes over the years (still retain 2000 fixed roof coupe.)

Sad day of rumors swirling around GM as it appears nationwide the Pontiac logo will be retired along with the word excitment.

Unless I'm counting wrong (It's early) 51 codes on my T :cool:

Checked, mine HAS the bushings:cool:

When I got my car the PM lid was missing, thought I'd just go out and buy a new lid:confused: New lid didn't fit. The Resv on my car measured 3.5" X 6.25" X 2.5" tall. Never did find a lid, replaced the whole thing:rolleyes:

kirban 2 cents worth

As promised here is the next trivia turbo contest. Open to anyone except those in the turbo buick business. With top prize worth $75 and 2nd place at $50 value I am hoping for a wider participation. You got nothing to lose.

I have worked out my answers with Richard Clark and between the two of us we have nailed down the possible answers.

Here goes:

On a stock original 1986-1987 Turbo Regal under the hood, how many filter/screen/foam etc filters can you find? They do not have to be attached to the engine. We will not count anything brake, ac, or transmisson related. Also we will not count the mass air flow sensor screens. If you see more than one of the same count each one to get to the 13 total.

Remember they can be internal and external and need not be connected to the engine. You do not have to use the correct GM terminology for the part but have to explain where it is for me to understand it.

I wil give you 2 of the easy answers:

Air filter
Oil filter

You need to find 13 others to be very smart, 8-10 to be fairly smart , 6-8 somewhat intelligent about your car, 4-6 probably have difficulty finding the hood release handle.

Good luck the clock is ticking

Even if you don't find 13 list what you have as that person may provide you with the ones you need.

No points off for wrong guesses or how many chances you take.

Lets see how good the phone guy and salvage V6 is on this one....

When doing it please let me know about #7 the bottom one of the last one on your frame....need results to confirm my findings.

Good luck everyone.....hoping this contest lasts a few days...

I will start off with a few.

Oil pick-up screen
AC drier filter
Windshield washer fluid screen
Boost relay foam filter

Bryan

I see we are not counting AC related items, sorry.

Valve cover breathers

Back