You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

Keep in mind what you post is good but you need to keep checking back to see if what others have posted you can add to your count to hit 13 total which is required to be a winner. Your rite Mr Phone AC related does not count...

Hope others chirp in......not that am running out of prizes....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Unusual cars owned: 1964 Sunbeam Alpine the hot one in those body style was called the Tiger fitted with the ford 260 or 289 powerplant....shoehorned in the engine bay. Kinda like the GMC Syclone/Thypoon

Here’s my guess:
1) Air Filter
2) Oil Filter
3) Oil Pick-up Tube Screen
4) Waste Gate Foam Filter
5) Windshield Washer Bottle Pick-Up Screen
6) Intercooler Shroud Screen
7) Valve Cover Breather, Drivers Side
8) Coolant Reservoir Screen
9) Fuel Sock
10) Fuel Filter
11) Crank Case Filter (Pass Side to Turbo)
12) EGR Filter
13) Fuel Vapor Canister

Thanks

Here’s my guess:
1) Air Filter
2) Oil Filter
9) Fuel Sock
10) Fuel Filter
12) EGR Filter
13) Fuel Vapor Canister

Thanks

I'll say the exact same for 2nd prize!! :)

kirban 2 cents worth

new trivia contest coming tomorrow - Saturday top prize value $75 second place value is $50. Been working on this question for several days with richard. Hope to stump the group for more than 2-3 days on this one. Congrads to all past winners thus far.

I can't believe I am not getting any input on my bushing question concerning the last body bushing on your frame #7 positon. Post your findings on this thread so I can get this topic under way.

GM books state one thing but my findings show differently..and I have crawled under over 300 of these cars. Curious as to YOUR car (1984-1987 turbo regal).

Went to Carlisle, zero for any parts only saw one 1987 GN for sale for 22 grand extremely nice car think it had 47,000 miles on it. Did see several 442s which is surpising as I am sure they made less of them than they did turbo regals. Carlisle for the ones in the dark is the largest swap meet in the US sits on 100 acre and features over 1,500 cars for sale and spaces get resold during the event.

Spring and fall are the big events. If it ever was on 4 wheels, you will see one at some point at a Carlisle event. It is so large you can expect to park 1/2 mile away or better if you do not get there bright and early or early in the week.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cars owned: 1961,1963,1968, 1999, 2000, 2005 Corvettes over the years (still retain 2000 fixed roof coupe.)

Sad day of rumors swirling around GM as it appears nationwide the Pontiac logo will be retired along with the word excitment.

Last missing body bushing is the GNX #7 under the rear.

Here’s my guess:
1) Air Filter
2) Oil Filter
9) Fuel Sock
10) Fuel Filter
12) EGR Filter
13) Fuel Vapor Canister

Thanks

kirban 2 cents worth

Your off to good start however re-read my question you are seeking 13 OTHERS than the two I listed, also several you listed are not correct for obvious reasons.

The game is still on......

I am hoping this contest runs a few days........

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I don't know all the answers, but questions I can think up I am good at....

Last missing body bushing is the GNX #7 under the rear.

kirban 2 cents worth

On the body bushing the GNX bushing is position number #5 by the rear axle assemly, #7 is the very last one on the frame back by the shocks/pistons that attach to the rear bumper.

I am interested to know from readers of this thread if you have the lower #7 in your turbo regal or is it a metal washer only. Again this is #7 all the way at the end of the frame near where the shocks for the rear bumper attach....

So look at #7 position and advise

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Another strange car I owned: 1964 Hillman Minx convertible absolutely show quality sold it in Hemmings way back when to a museum in western, PA.

kirban 2 cents worth

Backtracking slightly:

To the previous contest on the trunk ID code that was an actual emblem on another GM car. As stated it was FE3.

The GM part number for this emblem is 20692323 bad news is it has been discontinued for several years from GM.

It first appeared in 1988 and was used on various Olds models thru 1991. FE3 is a sports suspension package. So you may see this emblem on Olds of those vintage that would have alloy wheels on it rather than the steel rims with wheel covers. The emblem appeared on the back of the car similar to the later Trans Ams with the WS 6 emblem which was a performance package.

I was surprised that someone was able to pick up on that so quickly. FE3 code appears on a lot of our trunk ID labels since it deals with suspension and obviousily the suspension on the Turbo Regals was far superior than on a regular V6 or V8 Regal.

It's a shame Buick never did any upgrades to the brake system as far as size of rotors, disc goes. They addressed the suspension and the rear. but the brake size never saw any factory upgrades.

The new contest is still anybodys game......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cars owned: Out of high school owned a 1940 Studebaker coupe. Looked something like the popular Willys coupe that is popular among street rodders probably a little more rarer though.

The FE3 option was from the early to mid 60's nothing newer about that suspesnion option, excepting the emblem perhaps, and what set of parts went on each car it was available on.

kirban 2 cents worth

Game is still on nobody has hit on 13 in one post.....$75 value lst place is still up for grabs....some of the correct answers are showing up....

Usually you guys are pretty quick on this.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

more info on body bushings to follow

The FE3 option was from the early to mid 60's nothing newer about that suspesnion option, excepting the emblem perhaps, and what set of parts went on each car it was available on.

kirban 2 cents worth

You keep me on my toes...I never implied it was something new only that the emblem was used on a late 1980s GM car which made the trivia question work......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Another car I owned: 1967 ram air 400 firebird 4 speed, well optioned with factory headers hood tach splitter exhaust tips, appears on one of the large Firebird posters from 15-20 years ago. One of the quickest cars I have owned.

Never got the respect or values like the similar Camaro does....and the 400 Firebird was a lot rarer to find.....sold that car way to cheap.

kirban 2 cents worth

Getting back to the next hot topic that will stir a debate, body bushings or as GM calls them cushions.

So, far we have learned that the trunk ID label can be preplexed to say the least and some codes can mean something in 1987 and have a different meaning in later years or even in the same year (example WE2 -GN code also LeSabre T-Type code reference in 1987)

I can't take credit for first knowing about "missing lower body bushings on the Turbo Regals. It was brought to my attention back around 1996-1997. Like many of you back then I was also in the dark. We had however, been selling since 1990 the front frame braces which never came on our cars but did come on other G body cars. These are the ones that form a V from the front frame and bolt to two existing holes under your engine.

For years we bought them from GM and supplied the necessary hardware. One bolt being a self tapping style to thread into the pre-existing holes under the engine.

Eventually our company and others wiped out GM's supply and in the last several years we get those made. You would have thought, with the torque and power the turbo regal was making our cars would have gotten that front frame brace set. Heck it was already being used by another G body car...I think it was the Monte Carlo. Going by memory here.

Along those same lines, in researching lower body bushings. GM varied their useage from car model to car model. I have no idea why. I was not in on that conversation or decision at Buick. However, I have been told years ago that each G body car line was after a different ride. By varying useage of body bushings I guess they achieved their goal. Again, is that the real reason? I don't honestly know.

What gets interesting, is in looking in the 44W book dated 1991 which is the set I have in the illustration section they show for the G body mounting 1982-1987
in #3, #4, and #7 a cushion in the lower postion. Same cushion they list for postion #2 and #6.

So, going to the part number portion of the 44W book set (3 books), they break down the G body for every individual year. Years we are concerned with is 1984-85-86-87.

For those years (1984-85-86-87) for the G body (no reference to engine sizes), a flat washer is in position #3,#4 and #7. No lower body cushion just a flat washer. So it reads differently than the illustrated section!

Of course for position #5 also known today as the GNX bushing its blank during those years and GNX part numbers had a seperate supplement. Now many of you know every car we bought and sold we did the front frame braces and what I call the "missing body bushings" once I became aware of them around 1996.

So in round numbers I have been under and installed probably 250 or more of these body bushings all on 1986-1987 examples. So I am fairly well acquainted with them. Biggest fear, is when you loosen that 15mm head bolt that the cage nut on the other end stays secure!

The reason I was inquiring about #7 lower body bushing is although the book says only a metal washer was in that positon, in real life I would find maybe 2 out of 10 that had a metal washer in #7. Most did have a body bushing (cushion). Actually it was mostly 1986s that failed to have that #7 lower body bushing.

Although not common I did find once in awhile that the entire bolt would be missing as they must have worked their way lose. One reason to install the missing body bushings now. You only got 6 per side holding the frame to the body basically.

So, it would appear that some days on some turbo regals they got that lower #7 body bushing and other days they did not. Now if you have all of them someone obviousily installed them before you bought your car. We got a 700 mile GN here at the house and it is missing #3 and #4 but has #7.

More to come later on this topic. As usual comments, your findings are welcome to share with the readers of this post. I don't claim to know it.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Concerning the front braces, years ago my son made a channel style brace that went across under the front to the same holes as the front frame brace set. Later, he redesigned it so it is a smooth mandrell bent tube. Only works with a stock intercooler set up. I am sure others exist by other companies and some perhaps are home made just explaining the 2 versions we have marketed over the years.

Contest is still going with no winners yet....

Air and oil.

1. Oil Pickup tube

2. Wastegate sol. foam filter

3. EGR filter

4. Windshield washer pickup

5. Intercooler air inlet screen

6. Cannister purge fuel vapor filter

7. Valve cover breather filter pass. side to turbo

8. Fuel Filter

9. Fuel Pickup sock filter

10. Leaf Screen air inlet, pass. side under wiper

11. Twilight sentinel light filter screen

12. Coolant Reservoir Cap Molded Leaf Screen

13. MAT sensor screen

14. O2 sensor screen

15. Never had the two wire temp. sensor into the top of the manifold out but that's probably a thermistor type and may have a screen on it.

16. Alternator vent screen

kirban 2 cents worth

You need to re-read the question again as some of yours do not pertain to area plus twil lite one would not be in every 1986-1987 turbo regal. Coolant cap I don;t see anything in it just vents to the air.

Will research some of your other answers however so far everyone has missed one important one that has several of the same.

You have given it a good opening volley....but still fell short....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

ideas are not in short supply solutions are.

6 fuel injector screens.

And the cap on the reservoir looks to be shaped to keep out debris while venting as well.

Back