You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Air and oil.

1. Oil Pickup tube
2. Wastegate sol. foam filter
3. EGR filter
4. Windshield washer pickup
5. Intercooler air inlet screen
6. Canister purge fuel vapor filter
7. Valve cover breather filter pass. side to turbo
8. Evaporator core screen (filters the air before going through the core)
9. 6 Fuel Injector screens
10. Leaf Screen air inlet, pass. side under wiper
11. Wastegate rod felt (so dirt will stay out of diaphram area)
12. Foam around the heater core pipes
13. Cruise Control vent filter

Another list without AC related screens and listing screens individually...

Air and oil.

1. Oil Pickup tube
2. Wastegate sol. foam filter
3. EGR filter
4. Windshield washer pickup
5. Intercooler air inlet screen
6. Canister purge fuel vapor filter
7. Valve cover breather filter pass. side to turbo
8. fuel injector screen
9. fuel injector screen
10. fuel injector screen
11. fuel injector screen
12. fuel injector screen
13. fuel injector screen

kirban 2 cents worth

will go into details tonite but we do have 2 winners for this contest...new contest coming soon...

salvage V6 and turbo1/dr more info to follow.....

meantime if you would both send me a pm with your full name and address....part of your prize is zddplus....after all we wanna keep them engines running with no wear issues....

took awhile as you can see quite a lot of possibities when initially you would not think that many would exist.....gas filter and fuel pump sock are not correct as they are not visible under the hood...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

don't know all the answers, but can come up with the questions....that way everyone benefits....

Hey I WON SOMETHING!!!! :cool:

Gonna try some of that ZDDP with Mobil 1 again, I liked that oil with the DBB turbo until they changed out the zinc etc. in it.

Been using castrol synthetic and it seems to burn easier although it has plenty of flat tappet cam juice in it.

PM sent, and thank you. :smile:

I think I may have some wear issues at 180K. ;)

Thaks to Bryan the Phoneguy, wouldn't have entered if he didn't think and post I "could" win. :biggrin:

Thanks to the service manual and google for finding out the injectors have "screens". :cool:

kirban 2 cents worth

I am getting a late start tonite.....

First, the answers I was seeking and I discussed with Richard to equal 15 possibilites under the hood of a stock 1986-1987 Turbo Regal are: Keep in mind the answers I am stating are not exactly GM terms of what they are called.

Air filter

oil filter

oil pump screen

wastegate solenoid foam filter (by the way goes on inside port towards engine!

windshield washer screen at end of the tube

breather bypass passenger valve cover

intercooler screen (which by the way in th GM books is not listed as a seperate part but part of the shroud)

egr flter (this goes in the rectangle shaped part behind the round egr valve. Partially blocked from your vision its under that snap on round plastic cap. Orginally it was a paper like filter, replace is a foam style filter usually neglected by every owner).

fuel vapor canister best be described as a quart size plastic container usually moved when owners install a cold air system. It has a fiber like disc in the bottom.

the one Richard and I thought would be tough would be the 6 injectors and it took awhile for that answer to "pop up" That gives credit for 6.

That was the 15 total we were seeking. Actually 13 as I gave 2 answers.

In addition you have the leaf screen up by the passenger cowl.

We don't buy the radiator reservoir cap as having any sort of filter or screen system internally. The design may be such to keep dirt out but splitting hairs we don't consider it as a correct answer. Same with O2 sensor again design may be such to work in the same method.

I did not want to bother Richard on some of the other responses and I am not implying they are rite or wrong because winners only had to hit 13 of the 15 total.
The fuel related ones did not count as they are not under the hood. Neither did the heater one since that is heater/ac related.

My mechanical knowledge is not as strong as my knowledge of the rest related parts to the turbo regal so I consulted with Richard.

The one winner has given me his address and his prizes are ready to ship.

This thread is getting a lot of attention and hopefully we are all learning something.

I will have more info on body bushings/cushions tomorrow nite. Example, in checking with GM the Olds Cutlass took a 2 piece #5 bushing. Not the same as the GNX style bushing that we sell to the Turbo Regal owners. Our GNX #5 busing is a one piece bushing.

We used to buy #5 GNX bushings direct from GM but I believe we and others have wiped them out and now we buy a replacement aftermarket that is basically the same.

Congrads to the winners. Next post will be the start of a new contest. I liek to see more participation as it keeps it interesting.

If you want to post your trunk ID label go ahead and I can diesect most of it for you.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keeping readers thinking......

Hey I WON SOMETHING!!!! :cool:

Gonna try some of that ZDDP with Mobil 1 again, I liked that oil with the DBB turbo until they changed out the zinc etc. in it.

Been using castrol synthetic and it seems to burn easier although it has plenty of flat tappet cam juice in it.

PM sent, and thank you. :smile:

I think I may have some wear issues at 180K. ;)

Thaks to Bryan the Phoneguy, wouldn't have entered if he didn't think and post I "could" win. :biggrin:

Thanks to the service manual and google for finding out the injectors have "screens". :cool:

kirban 2 cents worth

Mr Salvage.....on Castrols website they posted awhile ago that it is true current oils even theirs is not backwards compatible for older cars.... it used to be oil was always backwards compatible, no longer the case unless you hunt done special oil. Ones that claim they have zinc...cna also be misleading as they don't necessarily make the zddp molecule. Under the SM starburst no oil can contain more than 800 ppm of zddp...your visor label shows starburst code of SF or SG going by memory so what is in our bottle brings the zddp level back to those specs. If it wasn't an issue we would not be able to sell to such establish companies as Eastwood, Crower Cams, Isky Cams, Erson Cams (private label), and several f the largest engine warehouses in the country.

I will send you 12 different tech briefs on the subject with your prize. These tech briefs are written by someone a lot more smarter than I am. I even put a bottle in all my later vehicles as it eliminated that ticking on a cold start morning. By later models I am refering to a 1997 cars....and 2001.

At 180,000 miles I hope you had the timing chain at least done...if not your pushing the envelope...

Sending prize and info tuesday ups....on the next contest I am going to request you wait 5 days before entering so I can see if someone "new" can win....after 5 days you can participate or send me a pm with your guess.

I tip my hat to you as you definately do the research.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

don't claim to know it all, but know enough to ask questions!

kirban 2 cents worth

New contest:

Not eligible any one connected to the Buick business & Mr Salvage who has a 5 day wait limitation in order others can get a chance at winning.

Prize value $50

Here goes:

The powermaster brake unit (that complex part under the hood that controls braking action) on 1985-1986-1987 Turbo Regals.

Is there anything attached to that component (powermaster) that is adjustable?

If, you answer yes, what is adjustable and what does it do?

the clock is ticking

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Takes me time to keep coming up with trivia......

I went out last night with a flashlight and didn't see any damm filters. :biggrin:

Then I figured they were "internal" and hiding on me or I took them off years ago. ;)

Looked through the manual and thought of the sensor screens for the MAT etc. and then thought of the injectors and did some searching. :smile:

I only have to win one. :biggrin:

Timing chain was done at 134K, looked new due to that SF and SG Pennzoil Turbo oil I used for years with 3K changes with filters. :cool:

Still have the chain and gears it in case I need them. :biggrin:

Now I have to go read that website, thanks a lot, more research. ;)

Is there anything attached to that component (powermaster) that is adjustable?

If, you answer yes, what is adjustable and what does it do?

Yes. The switch on top has an adjustable screw. It sets the turn on or turn off of the pump motor.

kirban 2 cents worth

We are going to award the answer above although the answer is not 100% correct he is on the rite track.

On the top of the brake switch under a small glob of black silicone is an adjustment setting. This adjustment determines the pressure point of which the switch turns the motor on or off.

It works on a similar principle like when you turn up the boost. If you engine is in good shape and can handle more boost no problems. This adjustment for the powermaster is not set up to be adjusted by anyone as it is preset.

So, send me pm again so I have your name & address.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

More trivia....coming.....

kirban 2 cents worth

Next trivia question: Salvage V6, Phone Guy, turbo 1dr, need to refrain for 2 days from today, in order others have a chance. Also not eligible anyone connected to a Turbo Buick company.

I hope to get other participation. This question is not of a technical nature. It is based on my findings, which comes from 300 plus of the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals that have passed through my hands.

When the cars are dealer prepped, they go through a certain procedure of some sort. Plastic gets taken off the door panels seats steering wheel etc....and so on.

However, once in awhile certain things get overlooked. What two things do you think are the most overlooked items that did not get removed at dealer prep, that I have seen still on low mileage unmolested 1986-1987 Turbo Regals?

You have to guess both things in the SAME POST.

I think I can get this trivia question to stretch a few days....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Not an expert, by any means, but always willing to learn.....

Almost forgot: This prize is valued at $50.......

the clock is now ticking

kirban 2 cents worth

Since we mentioned the brake switch that was as 99% of you know, one of the recalls for the turbo regals. GE the maker probably had to eat all the bad ones starting back in July 1990. The updated switch is known as the grey top switch and the bad one that could leak is a black top switch.

The other recall you are probably familar with was for emissions. This was done around June 1992. By then most owners had already installed a different chip so this really was pretty much ignored by most of those that had modified their cars. besides this was 4-5 years after the fact.

Interesting enough on the brake switch even as late as 1-2 years ago you could have a GM dealer run the VIN number and if records still exist for that VIN and it shows an open campaign for the brake switch they would give you a new grey top brake switch free. However, this is not always the case as records are spotty for the model year 1987.

The document for the brake switch is ID 252300 dated Oct 5th 1990. Runs about 9 pages. This problem was not only brake switch related but also the combination valve. This is located under your drivers floor pan. The issue with this was in some cases they were not a brass combination valve, but a cast iron unit subject to leakage (rust) for you New England owners).

GM had 3 suppliers of that brake combo valve originally, and only one supplier made them in brass which is like the one we and Gbodyparts.com sell today. We have one that is a reproduction and works. I had it initially tested by Richard Clark to make sure that it would work. Unit looks identical to the factory one.

So you can see how several factors can contribute to brake issues now that the cars are 23 plus years old. One recommendation we always make is, to change your brake fluid every 1-2 years. If it looks like Coca-Cola, it is dirty!

My above explanation is in the simplest terms and based on what I know. I am far from an expert on powermaster issues. My point was to expand on the brake switch and relationship to the recall issue.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Hoping you never have a brake problem!

kirban 2 cents worth.....When the cars are dealer prepped, they go through a certain procedure of some sort. Plastic gets taken off the door panels seats steering wheel etc....and so on.

However, once in awhile certain things get overlooked..."

My car still had clear pressure sensitive protective tape over the black plastic on the dash (it was on for over 10 years before I even noticed it :), and my wheels still had some white pressure sensitive UPC code stickers on them. Some are still on my original wheels. I don't know if these are the answers you are looking for Dennis but that's how my car was delivered. Paul

code 96

I know I'm a little late to this thread...

I'm the proud owner of a 86 grand national with t tops purchased from orginal owner with 77000 orginal miles.. The only options this car doesn't have as I can tell are power att & no concert sound. I will be posting pictures of the code this weekend. No vanity mirror also

I was orginally going to use this as a doner car until I got it home and saw it only needed doors & some tlc. The motor in this car was suppose to go in my white 86 t type. I gald I didn't chop it up...

I'm hoping my 86 t type has low options due to the black out package and roll up windows, It has concert sound with no power att.. I will be able to find out this weekend when I go to my sister house... Picture coming soon....

kirban 2 cents worth

Next trivia question: Salvage V6, Phone Guy, turbo 1dr, need to refrain for 2 days from today, in order others have a chance. Also not eligible anyone connected to a Turbo Buick company.

I hope to get other participation. This question is not of a technical nature. It is based on my findings, which comes from 300 plus of the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals that have passed through my hands.

When the cars are dealer prepped, they go through a certain procedure of some sort. Plastic gets taken off the door panels seats steering wheel etc....and so on.

However, once in awhile certain things get overlooked. What two things do you think are the most overlooked items that did not get removed at dealer prep, that I have seen still on low mileage unmolested 1986-1987 Turbo Regals?

You have to guess both things in the SAME POST.

I think I can get this trivia question to stretch a few days....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Not an expert, by any means, but always willing to learn.....

Almost forgot: This prize is valued at $50.......

the clock is now ticking

the plastic covering on the black dash trim around the speedo and hvac controls. also i think the next thing is the sticker on the ash tray thats located on the driver's seat.

Back