You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Been looking at them for years. :p

Just looked at the thread and I wasn't supposed to answer. :eek: ;)

Maybe somone else will guess it and win. ;)

3 and 9 should be the side windows for most folks. :biggrin:

I didn't say that however.... :wink:

The only "real" hex bolts that fasten the horn cap. The others are merely ornamental.

kirban 2 cents worth

this guy has the rite answer big clue was sitting in the drivers seat.....most would agree that design was not the greatest by GM warpage plastic and only 2 points to hold the center cap.

While on that subject, check your base collar under the actual wheel in many cases of cars we have had it has been loose even on very low mileage examples making me believe that someone failed at tightenng them properly whe they were assembled.

It is secured by 3 very small screws maybe 5 mm size. You need a wheel puller to pop your wheel off to tighten them. That way you can eliminate another rattle.

Send me a pm with your address so I can get out your prize.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Good guess......

kirban 2 cents worth

Backtracking slightly.

On the brakes, the combination valve we mentioned was made and supplied by 4 different companies: Bendix, Delco Moraine, Kelsey, and Weatherhead. Only Weatherhead was made in brass. So if yours is not brass, it is best to update it with a brass one.

Our company and Gbodyparts.com offer the combination valve in brass.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

New trivia coming

kirban 2 cents worth

Not eligible any past winners on this thread....and Buick related employees.

Here goes:

On a 1986-1987 Turbo Regal actually also the earlier ones as well the original plug wires all have an individual number on them.

First part of the question is: What is your theory (reason) why no one has reproduced numbered plug wires? Obviousily it is cost related so what drives up the cost factor to make them? Two reasons involved.

Second part of the question: What is the suggested Ohms for wires 2 feet or less?

What is the suggest Ohms reading for wires over 2 feet in length?

Fortunately I have a Buick book to back up the Ohms numbers.

the clock is ticking

You need a total of FOUR CORRECT ANSWERS TO WIN

PRIZE VALUE $35.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Read the questions carefully all the correct answers have to be in the SAME POST.

Must bug salvage V8 not being able to answer also Mr I Phone........

With the GS Nats fast approaching maybe someone their will have a 50 code trunk ID label or a 100 code trunk ID label. I am betting on the 50 trunk ID label. I think the 50 mark is more obtainable.

kirban 2 cents worth

back tracking slightly concerning the leather wrapped steering wheels in our cars.

I neglected to mention the ones that have two seams instead of one. Not sure of the reason for this except perhaps it was near the end of the section of leather so they would piece a section in rather than waste it.

One seam definately looks better.....all the wheels we get redone have a single. The trick to retaining that new textured look is to not make it a habit to constantly hold the wheel in the same exact postion.

I have a 2001 Tahoe with the leather wheel with 120,000 miles on it and the wheel would pass for brand new no wear no shiny spots nothing. Its like it was hardly touched....

Its like you want to avoid having your rite foot rest on the tunnel as a hole can wear quickly in the side of the carpet by the tunnel.

No guesses yet on the latest contest....I already have the next one lined up....
If no answers by the weekend we will probably open it up to past winners.

Appreciate all the private PMs and compliments.....this thread seems to be quite popular among the readers.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Ideas are many solutions seem few.....

Question: How many of you remember the touch & go theft system we sold years ago? Does anyone stil have it operating in a car? Post info on this thread please.
Should have some good news on this shortly.....

kirban 2 cents worth

no carpet savers of any type? Have you posted your trunk ID label? You may have a very low option car if options you list is all you got...like no tilt.....did you get the radio delete plate from whoever you bought it or did you buy it new?

Rear defogger probably a northern delivery car from new....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

more info to follow

kirban 2 cents worth

I have received quite a number of pms several on the chrome mirrors. The rarest combo with chrome mirrors is the very few of you that have a car with WO2 black out package option. That should have been a tip off for the workers when the car was being assembled since all the trim was black.

Chrome mirrors was not an option you got to pick from. If you happen to have a window sticker the top section lists all the items that are STANDARD at no extra cost on a Regal 2 dr coupe. Then says unless replaced by optional equipment.

On the last 10,000 GNs the standard listing in this section is completely different since it listed the standard options on a GN for those last 10,000 built .

As to the absolute reason for chrome mirrors, nobody can really be sure if its because the sales person never brought it up or it just got forgotten. Since two options of painted mirrors was offered it may have been overlooked rather than made standard since D35 had just a remote drivers side for $53 option and D68 for $83 had remotes on drivers and passenger side.

In looking in my 1984 Salesmans guide it states that the painted mirror remote drivers and fixed passenger was standard equipment on a T-Type. Same prices.

In 1985 again it says the painted mirror set up was standard.

In 1986 again says the painted mirror set up was standard.

Based on that finding, if you have chrome mirrors on a 1984-85-86 T-Type Regal it wold be a screw up based on the salesmans guide.

For some reason the 1987 salesmans booklet does not say anything about being standard which may help explain why their seems to be more than just a handful with chrome mirrors on Turbo-T 1987 models. It does state included with WE2 option for painted mirrors.

Remember in 1987 they opened the flood gates on possible combinations, the new WE4, the Turbo-T Limited, basically probably to blow out inventory since the rear wheel drive platform was at the end of the road.

Plus if you were part of the buying public back then, the car had gotten a lot of recognition in magazines etc making the 1987 a sought after example. Dealers were marking them up and stock piling them in some areas of the country. The GNX had made the big splash priced out of most of our hands making a 20 grand GN a basic bargain.

The destination charge never changed during this time frame it was $414.00 across the board for the Regals. The LeSabre on the other hand for 1984 thru 1987 was $475 destination charges per car. Must have been heavier to transport them?

They make that uniform so buyers in Michigan don't have an edge compared to someone in California.....from what I understand.

comments/question welcomed

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The salesman books I use are pocket size and are very hard to find even from companies that specilaize in literature. It is one of the few items from Buick originally that I have that lists the price of every option for each model in each year.

Contest still has no winner...

Clock is ticking

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Anyone yet see any of the new Camaros yet? They should be hitting the dealers soon I would think.

I know it's a popular thread with contest WINNERS! ;)

Don't know the answer to the one I can't enter, I could probably guess though.

Ohms on a high tension wire don't tell you all that much excepting if they are all uniform and not defective and it varies in readings from manufacturer to manufacturer due to materials used.

My car is a relatively high option WE4 with no floormats I was told it couldn't have them due to weight constraints.

I made them throw them in from the Parts Dept. or I wasn't gonna buy it for sticker. :rolleyes:

Long story that belongs in your other thread that I don't like telling. :mad: :p

Sport Mirrors were standard on the WE4, D68 was an option for $30.

kirban 2 cents worth

Question: How many of you remember the touch & go theft system we sold years ago? Does anyone stil have it operating in a car? Post info on this thread please.
Should have some good news on this shortly.....

I actually have one of those around here. Mike Hinson is the guy that designed and built it. I used to own his 86 T that he used to test a few of his products on.

Ever remember the boost a pump that he built and it was mounted under the rear seat. it boosted the pump voltage when the TPS voltage got over 2.50 volts

My car has 80 codes on the sticker.

Attachments

• rpo sticker.jpg
    rpo sticker.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 126
My car could have very well been a northern car. But I still can't figure out why the car was optioned the way it was. I'm guessing it was a single individual that did some traveling with it. The reason I think this is because of the power windows and driver's and passenger remote mirrors. But the rest of the deleted or unordered options don't make this plausable. I can't come up with a reason for the floor mats not being ordered with the car if there was northern travel (because of the rear defrost. It is a strange car. The car was stock when I got it except for the flowmaster cat back, drop in k&n, and the radio delete plate was missing and I haven't located one yet, and the original oil fill tube was long gone replaced with a standard fill cap.

Dennis, if I get time and remember to snap a pic of the RPO, I will do so. I may not have time to go through them, decipher, and post the code meanings though. I have been putting a lot of time in the car lately so I can at least get it back on the frame so I can finish getting it ready for paint!

BTW, the emblems look great:cool: I can't wait for the day I get to put them all on the car.

I know it's a popular thread with contest WINNERS! ;)

Don't know the answer to the one I can't enter, I could probably guess though.

Ohms on a high tension wire don't tell you all that much excepting if they are all uniform and not defective and it varies in readings from manufacturer to manufacturer due to materials used.

My car is a relatively high option WE4 with no floormats I was told it couldn't have them due to weight constraints.

I made them throw them in from the Parts Dept. or I wasn't gonna buy it for sticker. :rolleyes:

Long story that belongs in your other thread that I don't like telling. :mad: :p

Sport Mirrors were standard on the WE4, D68 was an option for $30.

kirban 2 cents worth

My 1987 salesmans directory shows D68 mirror option at $83 or on a WE2 (Gn) it was $30. Not sure why numbers don't match what you where quoted.

Wow so they figured floor mats would be a weight problem? I know the goal wit the car was to keep the weight down, but they did offer roof options on the WE4 which adds weight.

Contest is adding to it no doubt, be nice to see others at least guess....heck they got nothing to lose.

My Ohms answer comes rite out of the 1987 Buick manual I have. The manual I got it from is quite rare as it deals with location of the date codes on the parts and lists the different companies that made the combination brke valve that I mentioned. Have to make question tougher to eliminate possible finding them on the internet.

Easier for me to concentrate simply on one thread and work in different related subject matter.

You must have a wealth of info at your finger tips as well.

I got a tough audience sunday speaking to a Corvette group on ZDDPlus. I read an article one of them did that even could recognize the wheel weights GM uses compared to the aftermarket wheel weights!

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I actually have one of those around here. Mike Hinson is the guy that designed and built it. I used to own his 86 T that he used to test a few of his products on.

Ever remember the boost a pump that he built and it was mounted under the rear seat. it boosted the pump voltage when the TPS voltage got over 2.50 volts

kirban 2 cents worth

You are partially correct, unit was made prior to Mike Hinson, from another source when that source got out of the game, I had Mike make them for us. I remember him well great guy....also the booster pump that would go under the rear seat had that in my first GN.

I can't member why he could no longer supply them. I look in my old catalogs it was last available back in 2000. Originally we sold them for $79.95 when Mike could make them I dropped the price to $55 each.

See next post from me

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Your prize on a recent win is in route....

kirban 2 cents worth

I like to hear from anyone else that still has a touch and go system in their car. I remember one of our first big events at the navy base 1990-91 my son must have installed over 25 of them in cars.

In recent years we marketed the metal collar that surrounded the steering column. Now I can't get them anymore. One source sells them from time to time on the internet, but price structure makes them too costly to buy & resell.

The touch and go simply put was the best buy for the buck for several reasons.

Number one, you only cut one wire in your car.

Number two it set automatically 30 seconds after you shut your car off

Number three even if you like to retain a stock appearing car, this unit was th ehot ticket as it had no goofy siren under the hood, nothing.

After it set automatically, anyone tried to start the car it would not even crank. No switch to find to trigger it as it worked by touching a certain body trim screw with one hand and something metal with your other hand such as a spoke on the steering wheel to complete the circuit, once done the car would turn over and start.

I know it saved several customers cars from being stolen back in the day. What is nice about this simple system it will work on virtually any older car with no air bag.
It has a valet setting so, if you have someone working on your car it will start each time normally.

The new system will be digital as old system was analog or a different format according to the guy I have making me up some prototypes now.

Had one on my Syclone also.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Will give update on this and it will be made available to other suppliers as well.
Control box is roughly the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Been years since I last saw Mike......

My car could have very well been a northern car. But I still can't figure out why the car was optioned the way it was. I'm guessing it was a single individual that did some traveling with it. The reason I think this is because of the power windows and driver's and passenger remote mirrors. But the rest of the deleted or unordered options don't make this plausable. I can't come up with a reason for the floor mats not being ordered with the car if there was northern travel (because of the rear defrost. It is a strange car. The car was stock when I got it except for the flowmaster cat back, drop in k&n, and the radio delete plate was missing and I haven't located one yet, and the original oil fill tube was long gone replaced with a standard fill cap.

Dennis, if I get time and remember to snap a pic of the RPO, I will do so. I may not have time to go through them, decipher, and post the code meanings though. I have been putting a lot of time in the car lately so I can at least get it back on the frame so I can finish getting it ready for paint!

BTW, the emblems look great:cool: I can't wait for the day I get to put them all on the car.

kirban 2 cents worth

the radio delete plate was a pop in metal plate said Buick, most probably got thrown away since it served no purpose once someone dropped in an aftermarket radio unit.

I remember used to sell them for like $50....

Years ago I reproduced the 1964-1965 Pontiac GTO delete plate. It was diecast chrome so it made it look like no radio even existed in those cars. Until the repro came a long for the GTO that delete plate was several hundred dollars...low optioned could have been a cost factor for the original buyer. aftermarket floor mats for example from any auto store are very cheap.

Car a solid roof?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

On the subject of WE4s.....I looked over my cars bought chart, out of 317 we have bought and sold of the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals, I had 15 of the WE4s.

The year 2000 out of 44 of the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals I had 5 of the WE4s. Most for one year.

If you are good at math you can figure out the percentage of them against the totals. Unfortunately my notes by each one I did not indicate solid roof or T-Tops etc. I had a 9,600 mile one was the lowest mileage one.

I remember that car well as I went all the way to Minnesota for that car.

Had several with less than 30,000 miles on them.

Buick made enough of them that Turbo Owners recognize them as a special model.

On Turbo-T Limiteds I had a total of 19 out of 317 sold.

Working the math against actual production I had more Limiteds (19) against the total of 1,035 built compared to WE4 that 1,547 were built I had 15 of them.

I did not seek out certain models at the time, but did limit buying them to east of the Mississippi River so trips would run no more than 3-4 days at a clip.

Most trips were made in the winter months with most buys being between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I covered ALOT of miles with a truck and trailer. (never lost a single car on the trailer) Did have a wheel come clean off the trailer once and wrecked one truck completely in Ohio with a T-Type on my trailer on the back)

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My longest single road trip by car was 9,206 miles in 36 days.......

kirban 2 cents worth

Looking at groumoutis 80 code trunk ID label which is tough to do since its vertical!

He has that FE3 code that was a contest question awhile back, Has B91 door edge guards $15 option, not too rare but nice to see as an option, has the top of the line radio UXl was $504 also concert sound II UW4 a $95 option, US7 power antenna $70 option. (Gonna take a guess here does the antenna still work? If so you probably replaced it rite?

You got the posi rear G80, no lite weight aluminum bumper supports you got steel ones, you got power trunk release A90 $50 option even have the trunk kit B48 a $47 option. You have a fairly optioned car but no power drivers seat. You have B88 stick on body side moldings unless someone removed them your post says it was repainted, does it have sick on body side moldings? Or none?

I don't see any codes for any of the carpet savers. This would seem alittle strange since original owner spent the money for the trunk kit option yet not floor mats for inside the car?

Here is a code seldom mentioned but al our cars have is U23 for speedo cluster with trip option. It was standard with the turbo engine.

The codes that start with the number 6,7,8,9 refer to left and rite front springs and left and rite rear springs.

Personal opinion, the front springs on the 1987 are great, the rear springs are severely lacking even back when they were new. They did make a change on the fronts one reason that 1986s and older sit lower in the front.

Tl6 and TL8 refer to black grille and black trim codes......

basically this tells you most about your trunk ID label. Like I said the only thing that strikes me as slightly unusual is no floor mats yet the optional trunk carpet kit which by the way, is a nice option compared to the poorly cut black one that originally must have been measured wrong reason it wrinkles around the spare tire!

Just my thoughts...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Comments welcome post your trunk ID label.....

Contest running still has no correct answers on the plug wires.....

Back