You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

Last trivia contest has a winner and I will cover that later tomorrow. I want to get this next contest up and running.

You know the rules no past winners can participate nor Buick Turbo employees.

I have to keep thinking up questions hat can't be found on the internet.

Here goes:

On a 1984-1987 Grand National (Regal style) related to a part on that car it is basically the same size as the center plastic horn medallion. What part and I referring to that only appears on a stock original Regal style Grand National/GNX and WH1.

The clock is ticking

The hour is late

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You guys are sharp......lets see you crack this question.

Almost forgot value of the prize is $25....

i have 74 codes on my spid label

car was produced in the third week of may of 87.

it has pwr windows/locks, rear defrost, tilt,cc,pwr antenna,standard am/fm cassette radio,

i think that my car was involved in the teir 1 package as it's not loaded compared to some that i have seen.

my friend has a 87 GN with all of the amenties including power seat and map lights and right hand mirror control. but i think his car is a later production date than mine.

would you be referring to the tri-sheild horn medallion? I have been looking my car all night and thats all i can find.

kirban 2 cents worth

On the current trivia contest, you need to re-read the clues....the part I am referring to is basically the SAME size as the horn medallion. The horn medallion clue is for reference only. The important clue is it is found on any original GN/GNX/WH1 cars..........so, you need to concentrate on what item is only on those cars and related to that item what part is about the size of the horn medallion...

It is a cheap little part that the answer is.....

Remember I have to think up questions that you can't research on the internet.
So far, only my brake reservior has been fool proof.

If it goes too long at some point I will open it up to past winners eg Mr Phone and Mr Salvage....

til later

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

more info on last winner soon

Here's my guess and it's a pure guess:rolleyes:

First part of the question is: What is your theory (reason) why no one has reproduced numbered plug wires? Obviousily it is cost related so what drives up the cost factor to make them? Two reasons involved.

It's a GM licensing that makes them cost prohibitive to reproduce.

Second part of the question: What is the suggested Ohms for wires 2 feet or less?

What is the suggest Ohms reading for wires over 2 feet in length?

It's 2000 ohms per foot so 4000 or less ohms for these. Book states that any reading above 20K ohms is defective and has to be replaced.

Fortunately I have a Buick book to back up the Ohms numbers.
I have a Buick book as well, I bet a different one:confused:

kirban 2 cents worth

You are the winner you are about 99% correct....send me a pm with your full name & address so I can send you your prize...

More info on this in next post under this

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Good job!

kirban 2 cents worth

The book I have is from GM entitled Parts Identification and Parts Guide 1987. basically it details all the engine related parts showing how to read the date codes and where they are located. Almost every part has a date code associated with it. Their format makes it hard for the "common" person like myself to read.

Example On an oil pressure sending switch they show a four digit code say of 1583. This means 158th day of 1983. Another code may start with a letter such as F273. F stands for the company that made the part and then 27 is the week and 3 is the year 1983.

Interesting enough the plug wires unlike the ones I said we made for the GTOs are not dated. At some point they stopped doing that 1-2-3-4 quarter format.

They also stopped calling them Packard wires. Our original factory spark plug wires read "GM Electronic Suppression 8 mm. Then it has a number 1 thru 6 depending on which cylinder the wire is for. That two letter word GM is what throws a monkey wrench into making them as you would need GMs license.

Those wires only came on factory cars as replacements were universal style to fit several applications. Reason is GM is in the parts business and less inventory if they make a universal plug wire versus one that is original in style.

Grand Ma on her V6 don't care what the wires read as long as it works. This book states that plug wires 2 feet or less under 10,000 ohms. Plug wires 2 feet or more not over 20,000 ohms....

This book I am quoting from is very hard to find. What caught my eye years ago when I spotted it, was it has the power six logo on the cover.

Besides the date codes etc it tells you some things to check if the part fails. It was in this book that I discovered that 4 different suppliers were used on the brake combo or proportioning valve only one of which was made in brass - Weatherhead.

Intersting enough in this book it shows the 3.8 sfi emblem and under failure it says broken letters or peeling chrome. Emblem can be removed and reglued after painting use a release agent and reglue by spraying back of emblem with trim adhesive. I asume they mean to replace with a new emblem?

I think I can speak for most owners the one date most visible on low mileage cars is the white decal date that is attached to the 1986-1987 coil pack.

Some parts have the actual part number stamped on them and the date code. Example they show the throttle body with the GM part number on the flange and above it is the 4 digit date code.

On the other hand the fuel pressure regulator produced by Bosch did not have a date code. Neither did the fuel rail also a Bosch product. Nor did the injectors again an original Bosch product.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Still no winners to latest contest...

"GM entitled Parts Identification and Parts Guide 1987"

Dennis might be a good book to reproduce and sell?

Is it the wheel center cap medallion? I am meaning the one on the rims. Not steering wheel.

"GM entitled Parts Identification and Parts Guide 1987"

Dennis might be a good book to reproduce and sell?

kirban 2 cents worth

plausable idea.....but no every part in it refers to the 3.8 sfi turbo...definately rare book to see for sale as I never seen another..

send me a pm concerning another issue.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Is it the wheel center cap medallion? I am meaning the one on the rims. Not steering wheel.

kirban 2 cents worth

No it is not....you need to re-read the clues....here goes again:

The part I am seeking is only found on original GN/GNXs?WH1 cars....This part is about the same size as the typical horn medallion found in any 1984-1987 Turbo Regal.

Put it another way...the part you are trying to figure out...is about the size of a silver dollar approximately.

We got a lot of readers of this thread....so someone should figure it out.....

Hopefully not soon....I am shipping prizes every day now....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Spoke at a college today on Hurst & Zddplus™ for a Corvette group. Now I can say I been to college!

Dennis would the part you are talking about be the three rubber underhood bushings? taking a guess...

kirban 2 cents worth

I am going to kill 2 birds with one stone.....both above posts are the wrong answers.....re-read the clues again....the part in question can only be found on an original GN/GNX/WH1 example. The answers both of you gave are found on every T-Type., Turbo-T etc...

I gotta make these questions alittle harder to slooooow down the frequency of prizes....actually one of you above has a GN.....

Keep trying not taking off for number of guesses....

Member none of us know it all......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

No one has hit 50 or less or 100 codes as of yet either....I would almost think someone would be making one up on a computer by now to see if it would fly!

kirban 2 cents worth

backtracking slightly on the plug wires.....something that I have seen on many 1986-1987 Turbo Regals at major events.

Usually when owners run aftermarket plug wires that in most cases can be 2-4 inches too long in lengths.

Granted you want them up and away from the passenger side header, however at the same time, you want to route them AWAY from the top finned portion of the plenum. That top fined section has sharp edges and constant rubbing and before long the wires that come in contact with the edge will start to short out.

You want to run them behind the upper plenum finned portion to avoid this from happening.

On a similar note, on the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals you have a grey and green plug that are tapped up behind the AC compressor. Never plug them into each other, and make sure they are taped up away from the hot header. They can short out and blow one of the fuses. Think its the injector fuse.
'
kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't know it all, but enough to pass most tests..

kirban 2 cents worth

Mr Salvage and Mr Phone....only....

Here is a question I will throw out just for you two and see if you can answer it correctly. I know you guys like to participate!

Nothing to do with Buicks....

With the below description tell me what I am describing?

Its alittle over 7 feet long, just over 3 feet wide, has a spring seat, capacity of 1,000 pounds.

clock is ticking only Mr Salvage and Mr Phone can participate on this one.....

I'd go another $25 in prizes....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

dennis

would you be referring to the orange sticker that was affixed to the driver's side lower portion of the windsheild? that sticker has a letter/number punched in it?

also i have included a pic of mi spid labels what does it show besides being alow budget gn.

kirban 2 cents worth

Mr Salvage and Mr Phone....only....

Here is a question I will throw out just for you two and see if you can answer it correctly. I know you guys like to participate!

Nothing to do with Buicks....

With the below description tell me what I am describing?

Its alittle over 7 feet long, just over 3 feet wide, has a spring seat, capacity of 1,000 pounds.

clock is ticking only Mr Salvage and Mr Phone can participate on this one.....

I'd go another $25 in prizes....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Snow mobile, garden tractor, old school Harley Davidson

Back