You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
are any of these the three things that come loose:
headliner
rear view mirror
sun visors
column tilt mechanism
window cranks
radio knobs
glove box door
center arm rest on 60/40 seats
console lid
dash
AC vents
door glass
cigarette lighter recepticle
remote mirror control
those black panels that clean up the under dash area
turn signal arm
horn button
knobs on manual seat adjusters
seat belt guides up by the headrest
reclining mechanism in bucket seats

i just listed about everything i've ever heard of coming loose in GM cars from the 80's. most of them were loose on my car when i got it.

how about TCI for the shifter- i'm sure they had to try a 4 speed manual shifter somewhere along the line..

sun visor rearview mirror chrome dash strip

kirban 2 cents worth

usetaboost hit the 3 I had in mind that come loose....send me pm to claim your prize....

as you can see from the answers previousily a number of items can come loose not mentioned is the 3 mini screws that secure the base collar to your steering wheel.

no time to address anything else from work as I just got it.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

don't claim to know it all but enough to keep it interesting

kirban 2 cents worth

To keep the trivia fresh in your minds, I want the name of the company (manufacturer) of the early shifter company that never made it big in shifters however, they did score making another product.

Name the company

Prize value remains $25

the clock continues to tick

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Still seeing who can tell me the difference from the early 1984 style boost guage in the analog dash versus the 1987 version in the turbo regals. The difference is very subtle and may probably don't realize it. My books show only 1984 looking different from the 1985-86-87 versions.

kirban 2 cents worth

A quick look at analog speedos:

Ours are certainily primitive when compared to ones today hat have no cable to make noise. If you have ever had your speedo headout of your car you realize the number dial for the main dial is definately from another GM vehicle. The numebr dial has the tenths in white that never shows through the slot.

Also having had many clusters over the years some of the fixtures are plastic housing and some are metal.

If you are reading this and have not posted your trunk ID label be sure to post it at some point and we can tell you the main codes in it.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

We are within 2 weeks of having our new touch & start theft deterrent system ready.

there is a "tenths" digit on our odometer heads? that's weird.. i wonder why they decided to not have it visible... could that possibly be something they did on the Regals with the trip odometer, since there is a "tenths" digit over there?

Here ya go Dennis:tongue:

Attachments

• label.jpg
    label.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 109
there is a "tenths" digit on our odometer heads? that's weird.. i wonder why they decided to not have it visible... could that possibly be something they did on the Regals with the trip odometer, since there is a "tenths" digit over there?

kirban 2 cents worth

Who knows why they did that trip feature is standard on our cars and they probably had thousands of these number wheels laying around and figured to use them up since soon after most GM vehicles I believe went to a digital read out....my riv is digital my trucks are....

Member it was not uncommon for them to make use of parts to save a few cents here and there....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

One thing is for sure they never did a marble test down any of the body seams....more like a cue ball!!!!!

muncie shifters were only factory installed, i believe.
and "Muncie" wasn't a brand- it was the plant where the transmissions were assembled.

kirban 2 cents worth

Who knows why they did that trip feature is standard on our cars and they probably had thousands of these number wheels laying around and figured to use them up since soon after most GM vehicles I believe went to a digital read out....my riv is digital my trucks are....

Member it was not uncommon for them to make use of parts to save a few cents here and there....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

One thing is for sure they never did a marble test down any of the body seams....more like a cue ball!!!!!

was the trip odometer standard on the entire Regal line? after all, the clusters in the TR's are just regular Regal parts with the (optional?) disco tach and boost gauge installed.
the speedo mechanicals are probably the very same parts used on every other GM car of the era with a sweep speedo, only fitted to a Regal framework.

No the trip odometer was not standard. It was an option. I don't know jack about manual shifters. Got any more fun trivia questions Dennis? I like the questions about 80's stuff. Last of the REAL cars:rolleyes: and great styling as far as I'm concerned. How bout some other GM models or maybe even some Dodge stuff?

Shifter Trivia Question...

Hi Dennis & Fellow Turbo Buick Regal Enthusiasts:

Hmmm, this is another good one Dennis :confused: and I had to do some thinking and go through my older notes on this one...although funny enough one of the answers I was looking for was stareing right in front of me on a original 1968 York US Dragway poster I have hanging in front of my computer in the office with Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins on it and was his shifter sponser for the 1967/1968/1968 season.

In order my three guess's are:

P&G Manufacturing Co that made P&G Competition Fllor Shifters out of Portland Oregn in the Sixties.

ET otherwise known as Eastern Tool Company that made E/T Traction Bars for numerous Fords and GM Cars back in the Sixties. Chryslers did not use them much if they had 'Super Stock' Springs which meant 6 springs on the left and 7 on the right to prevent wheel hop when you floored the big HEMI! :biggrin:

Last guess, is Inland Shifter company which made both the shifter and shifter rods in the early 1967 & down Dodge and Plymouth cars that were actually not very good shifters. I have heard many people comment the shifter rods were like spaghetti under serious shifting or load. Chrysler went to the Hurst shifter in mid 1968 on the Plymouth Road Runner and Dodge Coronet the stick and the shifter box were all Hurst BUT the shifter rods were still Inland to save money!?! Thankfully they finally went to ALL Hurst shifter equipment(stick, box and rods) in early 69 and then of course came out with the famous Hurst 'Pistol' Grip in 1970 on the Cudas! Dennis, you can confirm this, but if memory serves correct I believe many of the early pre 1967 GM cars that were using Hurst sticks actually used Inland shift rods to save money as well until they finally saw the light and realized the Inland stuff was junk and went to all Hurst equipment.

Do I win a box of Yum Yum donut's??? :biggrin:

kirban 2 cents worth

On the trip feature that comes in all turbo regals code is U23

My 1987 price book states included with LC2, U52 and WE2 meaning it came with those cars with that option....

To me its a gray area yes in some regards you can consider it an option since it wa snot in every verions of regals built however, for whatever reason Buick had, you had to have it in a turbo car. Kinda like AC.

On my 1987 Turbo-T window sticker they charged extra for AC but nothing is listed for trip odometer.

For 1984-85 U23 states standard on T-Types so in that regard no, trip odometer is not considered an option.

In 1986 same statement standard on T-Types.

So, I think its safe to say the trip odometer feature was standard in any turbo car 1984 thru 1987....in order for it to be an option you would have to have a choice to have it or not have it....that is not the case....

I have a complete set of the Price directories for each year to verifiy option codes and prices of each option.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

As for choices of trivia....if you notice I run 2...one Buick related, one a little history/automotive related.

Heck the Ford fairmont question that went unanswered for 3 weeks was a 1980s question....

One who awards the prizes can name the questions...besides its not as easy as you would think as I have to come up with questions that are hard to track answers down on the internet.

As of now the shifter question is still not answered....nor has any one told me the difference in a the 1984 factory boost guage versus the 1987 version. The difference is very slight.

By th way the prizes you won were shipped ups today.....Iowa bound.

Hi Dennis & Fellow Turbo Buick Regal Enthusiasts:

Hmmm, this is another good one Dennis :confused: and I had to do some thinking and go through my older notes on this one...although funny enough one of the answers I was looking for was stareing right in front of me on a original 1968 York US Dragway poster I have hanging in front of my computer in the office with Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins on it and was his shifter sponser for the 1967/1968/1968 season.

In order my three guess's are:

P&G Manufacturing Co that made P&G Competition Fllor Shifters out of Portland Oregn in the Sixties.

ET otherwise known as Eastern Tool Company that made E/T Traction Bars for numerous Fords and GM Cars back in the Sixties. Chryslers did not use them much if they had 'Super Stock' Springs which meant 6 springs on the left and 7 on the right to prevent wheel hop when you floored the big HEMI! :biggrin:

Last guess, is Inland Shifter company which made both the shifter and shifter rods in the early 1967 & down Dodge and Plymouth cars that were actually not very good shifters. I have heard many people comment the shifter rods were like spaghetti under serious shifting or load. Chrysler went to the Hurst shifter in mid 1968 on the Plymouth Road Runner and Dodge Coronet the stick and the shifter box were all Hurst BUT the shifter rods were still Inland to save money!?! Thankfully they finally went to ALL Hurst shifter equipment(stick, box and rods) in early 69 and then of course came out with the famous Hurst 'Pistol' Grip in 1970 on the Cudas! Dennis, you can confirm this, but if memory serves correct I believe many of the early pre 1967 GM cars that were using Hurst sticks actually used Inland shift rods to save money as well until they finally saw the light and realized the Inland stuff was junk and went to all Hurst equipment.

Do I win a box of Yum Yum donut's??? :biggrin:

kirban 2 cents worth

You did a lot of research.....the bad news is you have not hit on the shifter company I am seeking.

The shifter company I am seeking was strictly an aftermarket company. They scored big with another automotive product.

Name the company am referring to.

Its interesting that their was quite a number of aftermarket companies back in the day....Hurst probably captured 85% of the aftermarket. They had a tremendous advertising budget and scoring the Pontiac GM account was a major "plum" for them.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

muncie shifters were only factory installed, i believe.
and "Muncie" wasn't a brand- it was the plant where the transmissions were assembled.

kirban 2 cents worth

This is the wrong answer and yu are right about Muncie being a location however that shifter is usually referred to as a Muncie shifter....for some reasonChevy stuck with that instead of gong with the Hurst like Pontiac etc did.

You guys are sharp but still no winners yet.

Hope 54Rich can start to list the wrong shifter answers as this has the makings of a few days before someone hits the rite answer...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Back