You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Shifter Trivia question...

Wow! Not one of my answers was correct! :eek: This is a tuff one...now I won't be able to sleep tonight and will spend the next 4 hours thumbing through old issues of Super Stock & Drag Illustrated trying to find the answer! haha!

Back to the drawing board... :rolleyes:

kirban 2 cents worth

Now that we are focusing on the dash of the turbo regals, one item that is usually cracked unless you replaced it is the long plastic section that sits between the dash pad and the base of your windshield.

It takes alittle patience and a trick angled tool to get the screws out of it to remove it. I have no idea why they crack probably a combination of heat oevr a period of time and it doesn't seem to lay perfectly flat.

Like most interior items when you go to buy them as a part they come basically one color. These panels from GM are usually a shade of blue.

In my literature collection I have the GM price Book for cost and retail from 1987 and also have one from 2001.

In 1987 that upper dash panel retailed for just under $48.

If you paid retail today from GM for it the price is just under $180. Over 3 1/2 times more money! Adding insult to injury as tax payers we lent GM I think thus far 20 billon dollars?

Currently we do not sell any radio speakers either the ones that sit up under that panel, or the concert sound door ones or the rear speakers. If any of you have any leads on good replacement speakers with correct plugs on them and correct ohms etc send me pm...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Here ya go Dennis:tongue:

kirban 2 cents worth

Mr Moose trunk ID label...maybe its the angle but the spacing seems weird to me and I don;t see the paint code down at the very bottom.

Your Turbo-T has WO2 black out package lite weight front and rear aluminum bumper supports VD6 and VD7.....from license plate bracket VK3 meaning it sold originally in a state that issued front plates.

You car has no posi....

Radio UM6 next to top of the line unit, U66 you got rear radio speakers,

CC1 you got factory T Tops, lockable style, B88 originally had black body molding stick on type, no floor mats of any type, B91 door edge guards black, US7 power antenna,

they are the main things will look at your label again since its on previous page to see if I missed any major things. Front and real coil springs are codes that start 6 and 7 are the fronts codes that start with 8 and 9 are the rears.

With no posi you should have aluminum brake drums. In otherwords all the lite weight goodies...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

All is correct Dennis !! Car had no posi in it when i bought it and it does have everything just as you read;) I still have the black w/o mouldings but chose not to put them on the car when i restored it. The car had the peg leg just like you said although i have put a posi unit in it:biggrin: The identification label look spaced funny because i had to resize the picture to get it to upload and the wa number is on it but after resising the photo it got cut off in the picture:tongue:

kirban 2 cents worth

Mr Moose trunk ID label...maybe its the angle but the spacing seems weird to me and I don;t see the paint code down at the very bottom.

Your Turbo-T has WO2 black out package lite weight front and rear aluminum bumper supports VD6 and VD7.....from license plate bracket VK3 meaning it sold originally in a state that issued front plates.

You car has no posi....

Radio UM6 next to top of the line unit, U66 you got rear radio speakers,

CC1 you got factory T Tops, lockable style, B88 originally had black body molding stick on type, no floor mats of any type, B91 door edge guards black, US7 power antenna,

they are the main things will look at your label again since its on previous page to see if I missed any major things. Front and real coil springs are codes that start 6 and 7 are the fronts codes that start with 8 and 9 are the rears.

With no posi you should have aluminum brake drums. In otherwords all the lite weight goodies...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Next to the last row on ID label has the paint code (U15) grey met

Just got done reading this whole thread, I did not have time to follow it before the Nats so had a lot of reading to do. There is some very good info to be found here. I will share a little research I have done on the trunk label subject.
I believe somewhere in the post the subject of did the last 10,000 GNs have the WE2 code, I can say that they did as I check one of the last 1500 GNs made and it had it.
Something I found interesting is a did a quick check of four of my cars I have on hand and came up with 52, 63, 72, and 81 codes. All 87 cars, covered is two Ts, one Limited and one GN.
I read where it has been said to get over 100 codes it will most likely be a Limited. I have to differ with that as I have done some calling around to people with Limiteds and have not even got close. My thoughts are it is going to take a GN most likely.
Hope this helps, Kip

kirban 2 cents worth

How long did it take to read this thread? curious?

I agree with you on finding the 100 codes. I did check a very loaded original Limited at the GS Nats and it only had about 88 codes. This car had lites in the door panels cornering lamps the works and half vinyl roof.

On the last 10,000 GNs they should have the WE2 code as they were specifically built as GNs and titles I have seen show them titled actually as a Grand National rather than being titled as a Regal or T-Type Coupe etc.

Kind of like the original first year GTOs where basically an option on a Tempest/Lemans which is how they were able to slip the big motor in the intermediate body back then. Later ones of course where titled GTOs can't recall what year that started probably 1967-68 vintage.

Your 52 codes matches my personal count of 52 and as you know now we did find someone with a mere 50. Still no luck on the 100 codes and it may not happen. I also believe that it would be possible to have 46-47 codes.

I started this thread based on the codes and been throwing in a little interesting tidbits along the way and it seems to keep the interest. Even with my knowledge I have learned alot...

Example I find it weird Buick would also give the 1987 LeSabre T-Type the same WE2 code as the Grand National has on their ID label. Some things they did just add to confusion. The entire approach by Buick even though they were building a unique car, they never thought ahead of time of maybe giving seperate VIN numbers to these cars or seperating the turbo Ts etc from regular production so owners years later could find out how many they made etc....

In that regard Syclone owners and especially Corvette owners have it relatively easy.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

the shifter question is a real head scratcher. I bet it's a fairly popular company today and that's why no one is thinking of it.

kirban 2 cents worth

How long did it take to read this thread? curious?

I agree with you on finding the 100 codes. I did check a very loaded original Limited at the GS Nats and it only had about 88 codes. This car had lites in the door panels cornering lamps the works and half vinyl roof.

On the last 10,000 GNs they should have the WE2 code as they were specifically built as GNs and titles I have seen show them titled actually as a Grand National rather than being titled as a Regal or T-Type Coupe etc.

Kind of like the original first year GTOs where basically an option on a Tempest/Lemans which is how they were able to slip the big motor in the intermediate body back then. Later ones of course where titled GTOs can't recall what year that started probably 1967-68 vintage.

Your 52 codes matches my personal count of 52 and as you know now we did find someone with a mere 50. Still no luck on the 100 codes and it may not happen. I also believe that it would be possible to have 46-47 codes.

I started this thread based on the codes and been throwing in a little interesting tidbits along the way and it seems to keep the interest. Even with my knowledge I have learned alot...

Example I find it weird Buick would also give the 1987 LeSabre T-Type the same WE2 code as the Grand National has on their ID label. Some things they did just add to confusion. The entire approach by Buick even though they were building a unique car, they never thought ahead of time of maybe giving seperate VIN numbers to these cars or seperating the turbo Ts etc from regular production so owners years later could find out how many they made etc....

In that regard Syclone owners and especially Corvette owners have it relatively easy.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis, I started off at about 10-12 minutes a page for say the first nine pages or so, then got it down to 5 minutes a page. So I invested some real time as the thread is now 30 pages long.

The title reading Grand National on some 87s and not others kinda had me me, but now seems much clearer.

I too believe a 46 code or lower could come up. My 52 code car is heavly optioned compared to one of my other cars but the trunk was replaced on the car years ago when the car was almost new and the label did not get moved. I guess the body shop took the "do not remove" to serious.

My roots also lay in the Pontiac world so I know the above about Lemans/Tempest and GTOs. Turns out we know some of the same people.

Just for some more code info, I checked a mildly optioned 86 T type and it came in at 67 codes. Then checked a heavy optioed 84 T type at 98 codes.
My term for that car would be "dripping with options".

Hope all this helps someone, Kip

Shifter Triva Question

May 26, 2009 post number #989

New trivia question for the Elite group that have won in the past.

Prize value $25

Here goes the question:

By far and away the best know aftermarket manual shifter maker was Hurst. (A subject I know as much about as I do turbo Buicks).

During its heyday, give me the name of the company I am thinking of that also dabbled into making manual shifters but never enjoyed nearly the success of Hurst.
'
Yes, your answer has to match mine.
The shifter company I am seeking was strictly an aftermarket company. They scored big with another automotive product
The company I am seeking had a more well known automotive product than the shifters.... This product did not come after the shifters, but rather before it.
These are not the correct Answers:
1) Mr Gasket
2) Sparkomatic
3) Holley
4) Moon
5) TCI
6) Fenton
7) Muncie Shifters
8) Inland Shifter company
9) ET otherwise known as Eastern Tool Company
10) P&G Manufacturing Co
11) Mickey Thompson

Been busy trying to get my car on the road, thought I had it last night to find out the the great deal of a radiator I bought last fall, leaks!:mad:

I'm off to look for the answer (Here we go again):cool:

kirban 2 cents worth

54rich thanz for bringing everyone up todate on the list of "wrong" answers,.....feeling generous I will add another clue to the shifter trivia question.

and the new clue is:

to my knowledge this company went out of business sometime in the late 1960s.

The product that was a very popular item for them is more associated with cars from the 1950s.

Gave you two clues...

Prize value remains the same.

the shifter question is a real head scratcher. I bet it's a fairly popular company today and that's why no one is thinking of it.

kirban 2 cents worth

see new clues company is not a popular company today, it is no longer in business.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskriban@yahoo.com

I should probably re-name this thread the "Automotive educational thread"

kirban 2 cents worth

Quick story on Amco...located in California not sure if they are still in business or not. In the 1960s-1970s they made various walnut and leather style shifter knobs usually using the different car logos in them.

This was of course long before the big 3 exercised heir trademark rights....I was fortunate enough to contact them when they disconinued the GTO logo walnut shifter knob. At that point the GTO was a fairly old used car.

At the time they stlil had a bunch of the metal GTO logos and would make our company 100 knobs at a time.

I have to look in my old GTO newsletters but I believe I also sold some that were in black vinyl as well for a number of years. I was unaware they did shifters.

They were great people to deal with. Now just another memory from years past.

Anyrate the question still does not have the rite answer yet.

the clock continues to tick........

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

still looking for any input on upper dash speakers and concert sound speakers if you have had an luck finding ones that not only fit but have the proper plug ends on them.

I just got in today a junked 1985 GN....guess what it has that rare narrow powermaster brake reservior...one of the early trivia questions...

Fenton.

3544981471_99da4459de_o.jpg

May 26, 2009 post number #989

New trivia question for the Elite group that have won in the past.

Prize value $25

Here goes the question:

By far and away the best know aftermarket manual shifter maker was Hurst. (A subject I know as much about as I do turbo Buicks).

During its heyday, give me the name of the company I am thinking of that also dabbled into making manual shifters but never enjoyed nearly the success of Hurst.
'
Yes, your answer has to match mine.
The shifter company I am seeking was strictly an aftermarket company. They scored big with another automotive product
The company I am seeking had a more well known automotive product than the shifters.... This product did not come after the shifters, but rather before it.
These are not the correct Answers:
1) Mr Gasket
2) Sparkomatic
3) Holley
4) Moon
5) TCI
6) Fenton
7) Muncie Shifters
8) Inland Shifter company
9) ET otherwise known as Eastern Tool Company
10) P&G Manufacturing Co
11) Mickey Thompson

Been busy trying to get my car on the road, thought I had it last night to find out the the great deal of a radiator I bought last fall, leaks!:mad:

I'm off to look for the answer (Here we go again):cool:

already on the list.

Back