You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Originally Posted by rmar
they are all in Cali.

kirban 2 cents worth

Your answer is wrong however I am curious what do you mean by this?

Well since I do most things backwards. Everybody is trying to guess the 5 correct cars.

I saw Malibu,Catalina,Ventura must be California

I missed out on the vent wing ? by someone that types faster...:biggrin:

kirban 2 cents worth

Great theory trying to figure out the common thread or bond between the 5 vehicles, however California is not the answer nor is the answer related to any state or city etc....

This contest may take awhile.......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

One of your last questions, I can't remember which, is in your Side of the Road !st Ed..

I do know that for those of you that do not participate, you really need to buy these two books if you do not buy anything else. They are so heart warming. And you can relate worth almost every story. Great read! Thank you!:smile:

kirban 2 cents worth

Appreciate the nice words I usually use them as gifts etc to other car nuts not related in the Buick field....

I price them at $25 for the set which is basically my cost as you can see the 2 volume set covers a lot of stories....matter of fact I keep adding to the second volume when I get a chance...

As you can see quite a number of them relate to Buick and travelling to get them.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

On the Buick trivia question which relates to the GNX project.....I don't think anyone will be able to hit on the 2 answers I am seeking unless they had this "Preliminary Content" that I have dated 25 August 1986.

So, as I stated earlier this paper listed 12 areas they were considering to (modify) for the GNX project.

One area was the turbo ceramic version

They wanted to increase turbo boost by 5 psi restricted by rear axle and transmission limits.

intercooler a new and specific intercooler developed and they considered a liquid version and a larger version.

structure was related at the rear kick up (back brace)

suspension modificaitons to the rear to eliminate wheel hope and improve traction etc...

rear axle modified to accept increased torque

engine compartment cooling active outlets on fenders

exhaust new and specific headers

underhood appearance detailign and routing of wires

tires specific with increase contact patch

guages specific VDO analog with 120 speedo

transmission 400 with doug nash overdrive.....

On my papers the 400 trans with doug nash overdrive has been crossed out so I assume that was quickly killed. The new and specific headers never saw the light of day either although I believe they may have cleaned out the ports better.

Again I am going by memory and I don't claim to be a GNX expert.

Keep in mind and anyone who has studied real GNXs with 547 being built basically by hand their are subtle differences...from early to late ones.

I do have a later sheet showing more details such as a computer prom modification, transmisson oil cooler, and stating possible front and rear wheel opening modifications and exhaust system changes to accommondate rear suspension.

Another page shows more ideas such as remove and clean cylinder heads, reassemble cylinder heads with stiffer valve springs, remove and clean intake manifold, and exhaust manifold changes.

As far as I know none of the changes I listed in the above paragraph happened.
Could be time restraints or cost or both. Again I can only state what I have in my notes.

I also have a chart showing the time span needed to build prototypes etc based on 200 orders in the system dated 22 July 1986.

While it can be said the best laid plans may not have made it into production every GNX owner I am sure is happy with the results that did make it into production.

I remember attending spring and fall Carlisle events in the early 1990s and seeing sets and sets of GN take offs wheels and tires and analog dashes etc....

Never bought any of the tires and wheels never felt like lugging them 1/2 mile to my truck. Think they were priced around $500 a set....

Its tough to think up a Buick trivia question so for now we will let the non Buick one ride until we see a winner and then release the next new contest.

Member post your trunk ID label, or if you have a Turbo Buick question, post it.....I may be able to answer it....

This thread has never faded from the first page under the Turbo Lounge. I appreciate all the support.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

See next post for more GNX tidbits from my past.....

kirban 2 cents worth

GNX goodies. Over the years I have scored three unusual buys related to the GNX. Being in the business, and not a collector, course I sold them back in the day.

The first example happened in the early 1990s one of my Mustang companies that knew us is located in Michigan and would buy up all the leftover parts from ASC. They specialize is leftovers and ford takeoffs. Lets face it Michigan was the place to be for such parts. (Nothing wrong with dealing with Mustang companies!)

he called me saying he had about a dozen GNX turbos. I was not sure at the time if he had real GNX turbos or take offs from GNs. Obviousily it was tough to describe to my seller so I had him send me one to confirm....which he did. Sure enough he had real brand new left over GNX turbos. I bought them all. maybe 12-15 of them. Can't member what I paid maybe $350 each.....

Sold them of course think I was getting $800 to $1500 towards the end.

Course knowing Molly years ago we bought all the remaining GNX jackets and I think we sold them for $35 to $50 each most where small sizes that he did not sell.

Then a few years ago when I was in California, I visited Molly. At the time he was moving into a new office and discovered he still had a bunch of original GNX numbered books. These would be the ones that went to each numbered GNX car owner. I bought them and sold most of them. (I still have about 6 different ones).

The other good score I did a few years back concerns the turbo trans am project. A company in MIchigan handled the jackets and had a neat package with a key fob cassette and set of stripes etc all in one black box. I think I bought like 30 of them. Again going by memory sold them for like $95 each.....

Yes, it would have been great to hold on to all of these items, but as anyone that buys and sells for a living realizes you can't always do that.

I am sure most of you probably sold a high dollar car years ago before it achieved that high dollar status. Its the way things work out.

You just move on.....I bought a 1967 GTX Hemi way back for 5 grand with 22,000 miles on it...I thought nine grand was a tremendous profit.....it was at the time....Considering I could never get it to run rite on the low octane gas during the 1970s....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

86 with 87 codes, seems to be a late model but door labels are toast.:frown:

Attachments

• GN 006 800x600.jpg
    GN 006 800x600.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 94
86 with 87 codes, seems to be a late model but door labels are toast.:frown:

kirban 2 cents worth

I will look at this tonite and break it down....if it has no lamination it would possibly be a late model 1986 model. Look at the metal tag up by your firewall drivers side print that lst code and I can probably pin down production time date long as I can find my notes....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Non Buick Trivia

Corvair
Reatta
Catera
Aztek
Sierra

kirban 2 cents worth

getting very very close...you got 4 correct....need to find the missing link and then the common thread or what is perceived to be the common thread.

Your answers may also provide others with the rite answer now...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

another day another day it rains here...like 15 days out of 17......

kirban 2 cents worth

I will look at this tonite and break it down....if it has no lamination it would possibly be a late model 1986 model. Look at the metal tag up by your firewall drivers side print that lst code and I can probably pin down production time date long as I can find my notes....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

It is laminated. Metal tag G04C 4GJ47 P 121187. I thought it was late from the power steering cap(might have made recall) and smooth turbo inlet pipe...I may be off on this one..

It is laminated. Metal tag G04C 4GJ47 P 121187. I thought it was late from the power steering cap(might have made recall) and smooth turbo inlet pipe...I may be off on this one..

kirban 2 cents worth

your lamination has not turned yellow like many of them has...your rite about the power steering as they did update to the 1987 style different size and cap is reversed.....as for the up pipe or inlet pipe whatever wording you call it I have seen at least 3 different variations....may be tooling was wearing out or possibly several suppliers made that pipe. GM in some cases as I have noted before used several suppliers on the same part....I should be able to figure out the date of production long as I can put my hands on my notes at home.

til later

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned few over the years..

still raining....and raining.....

Non Buick Trivia

Models that were failures in the market place

Corvair
Reatta
Catera
Aztek
Vega

Let me restate

Non Buick Trivia

Models that left the market with a bad reputation

Corvair
Reatta
Catera
Aztek
Vega

kirban 2 cents worth

here is part of your answer your metal tag the GO4C.....is your built date....G is the year 1986, 04 is the month 4th month which is April C is for the week so that is the 3rd week of April 1986.....according to my notes....

Interesting point about the up pipe inlet pipe......probably one reason on the GNX project they made their own pipe so air flow was better since they did the turbo and a different intercooler....although on the intercooler its tough to see the difference sicne it has something to do with the number of fins etc.....

You will see a lot of variations on the inlet pipe from car to car.....

will do your label later tonite...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskrban@yahoo.com

never claimed to know all the answers, but know enough to pass most tests!

Non Buick Trivia

Models that were failures in the market place

Corvair
Reatta
Catera
Aztek
Vega

kirban 2 cents worth

BINGO ON THE THEORY.....but you still lack the one other car model!!!! Failures or flops is the answer I was seeking.....While some may argue on the Corvair selection it did have issues and Ralph Nadar? help put the nail in the coffin....it did have a decent life span though. The Reatta failed on several levels electronics, no power cost factor whatever....Catera engine problems from the get go,,,,,Aztek poorly conceived from day one gave new definition for the word ugly.

still lack the final example

Send me PM listing what you won thus far Bill...great job....new contest coming soon as someone nails down th 5th vehicle....which should be easy now that the theory part has been answered correctly...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Just curious from anyone reading this thread if any of you have owned personally any of the 4?

kirban 2 cents worth

Looking at lou19 trunk ID label for his 1986 Grand National.

In no particular order you got the lite weight bumper supports VD6 and VD7....interesting enough no VK3 the front license plate bracket. That means in all likelihood your car originally was sold in a state that does not have front license plates....it may be your own state but I can't tell since I do not know where you reside. You got G80 which is the posi,

In 1986 you had 6 radio choices you got the very top of the line UX1 cost $504 back then, also concert sound II UW4 $95 value, US7 power antenna $70 my guess is it is either broken, or has been replaced!

You got the desireable touch climate control C68 did nto offer tis in 1987....so on your heater box it will say C68 instead of C60...

T63 a $16 option the annoying buzzer telling you you left your headlites on, U52 digital dash also a $173 feature. While some find this a desireable option I don;t like it as the dash seems so barren. (My opinion)

B88 is the black body side moldings stick on $60 option. (No door edge guards),
Of the 2 versions of floor mats you got the better ones front and rear B34 and B35, you got both remote mirrors D68 code cost $83, you got the lited visor mirror D64 another $58 spent, you got the usual goodies power windows locks, cruise etc,

That is the basic run down....conclusion a fairly loaded example with expensive options when it was new......My guess probably $17,400 to $17,900 example.
Caspers electronics has had good luck repairing those digital dashes which can be troublesome as they age he can also fix that blinking at 85 mph...

My answers should be pretty dead on as being correct. Thanks for sharing with us.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If you haven't yet post your trunk ID label...somebody somewhere has some rare examples especially built in 1986. One car in a T-Type exists with Lear Siegler and few others have the leather pillow style seats in either tan or grey....

In 1987 the real rare examples would be finding a Turbo-T black with black out package and a built date real close to the date they released the WE4 which elminated you having a choice of ordering a black turbo-t with the wo2 black out package prior to mid November (don;t have the exact date in front of me).

I have all the proof to back this up...in other words if you are reading this thread and have a 1987 Turbo-T with the WO2 blackout package and CHROME BUMPERS I like to see that trunk ID label and the date on the metal firewall plate....you got a rare example and I can provide the proof of such.....

(I had at least 2 of these cars years ago.....like everything else I sold them) I sold alot of valuable cars way before they became valuable....sure some of you have done likewise afterall its a means of moving on to the next car of your dreams or your next business deal as it is in my case. What makes my situation somewhat different, is I took pictures along the way.....of most of them....

I think someone will nail down the latest contest soon as I got the next one ready to roll.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

it appears Mr AMC is beating everyone....

Back